Old Bay seasoning

KKsMom

Blond Member
Have any of you ever used this? I think it was meant specifically for seafood but I have found that it is good on everything. I have even used it before on ground beef and it was good.
What do you prefer to use it on?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I've never heard of it. I looked at the mcCormick web site. Sounds good, we will have to give it a try.

Jim

Doc, do we need a page of links here too?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
We sure do Jim. Good idea. :thumb:

:oops: I should have thought about that before mentioning it :w00t:

want to do it the same way with the sub directory?

How about a list of subjects? We could have one named "Spam" that wouldn't mention a word about email :yum:

KKsMom

Blond Member
I've never heard of it. I looked at the mcCormick web site. Sounds good, we will have to give it a try.

Jim
Thanks for the link. I didn't know they had a web page with recipes on it! :bounce: I have used their recipe for barbeque sauce (it was printed on the can of seasoning) and it is really good. My hubby and I call it our "secret recipe" :whistling: looks like our secret could get out.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Old Bay. I knew that rang a bell. While at the Marietta Sternwheeler festivale we tied our houseboat up next to some folks who brought over some shrimp. Ummm were they ever good. They had seasoned the water with Old Bay. Really brought out the flavor. Best shrimp I've had for quite a while.

AllenOK

I've got some Old Bay. We really only use for my Clam Chowder (see recipe in soups), and when PeppA makes her "Beer Shrimp".

If anyone is interested, I have a copycat Old Bay formulation.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have used it for crayfish, lobster, shrimp, clams and a few other dishes. For those interested in perhaps making their own version of it here is what is on the label and a knock off version.

Old Bay® Seasoning Off Container
* Celery Salt
* Paprika
* Black Pepper
* Cayenne Pepper
* Ground Dry Mustard
* Mace
* Cinnamon
* Cardamom
* Allspice
* Ground Clove
* Ginger

Old Bay Seasoning From Copy Cat

1 tablespoon celery seeds
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
6 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon whole cardamoms
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 teaspoon mace

Grind well and store in a small glass jar. Best if used within 6 months
(date your jar).

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I keep running across recipes that call for it, but I keep forgetting to buy it... Must make mental note!

AllenOK

I have the same recipe in my files, joe. I've noticed that the copycat doesn't have any cinnamon, allspice, cayenne, or ginger in it. I might have to do a little formulating.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I noticed it too but they seem to be very close in taste though. I actually keep old bay on hand all the time. It is one of the few spice blends I buy as I really prefer to make my own and just purchase individual spices.

Calicolady

If you're looking for it in the supermarket, if yo don't find it by all the other spices, try the seafood area. That's where my stores keep it.

PanchoHambre

crawfish boil necessity....

I like the potato chips with the flavor too

I always mean to try it on other stuff....

Anybody try it on a chicken dish? You can flavor chicken with anything right?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
One of the local taverns uses it on their french fries. Pretty much a staple, isn't it?

I think so. I use it on all kinds of seafood and like it best on shrimp. Tonight I'm going to reverse sear a rib eye steak and I'll add some when I dry brine it just to see how it comes out.

Renfro Jones

If you have a board walk fries in your local shopping mall, they put old bay on there fries, also good on chicken. Primary food: Seafood.

GotGarlic

I gotta say, I can't stand the stuff. There are a lot of restaurants here that put it on shrimp, fries, etc., and put *way* too much in she-crab soup or clam chowder. I like to taste the *seafood*! I have a can in the pantry that has probably been there for 15 years or so.

suziquzie

I gotta say, I can't stand the stuff. There are a lot of restaurants here that put it on shrimp, fries, etc., and put *way* too much in she-crab soup or clam chowder. I like to taste the *seafood*! I have a can in the pantry that has probably been there for 15 years or so.

Me too... I bought it for 1 recipe and thought it was even too salty for me, the salt princess. :ohmy:

High Cheese

Saucier
Old Bay is a staple seasoning... like others, it is always in the pantry!

Same here.

I use it on all sorts of seafood. Never tried ground beef or anything else tho. I'll have to play around with it.

...come to think of it, might be good in chili....no?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm gonna do it tonight. One ear gets Old Bay, the other gets Bacon Salt. I feel like I'm on a Food Network cookoff......
So, which did you like better?

We had corn on the cob tonight but I didn't see this thread until after dinner. :pat: Darn it. I used salt and butter. It was good, but it would have been the perfect time to try old bay on there. (I also want to try some of the bacon salt you are so fond of.)