Weekend Poll

Do you do anything special for Memorial Day? (Multi choice)

• Total voters
K

Kimchee

Back when I was a youngster, Memorial Day weekend was always a fishing weekend.
Particularly remember 2 of them...
ONe, I listed to the Indy 500 on the car radio while puking my guts out. Mom, a nurse, wasn't worried, and the fishing continued.
Another one, I had a brand new Professional model white Frisbee. In joyous expectations of retrieving it, I zipped it into the area of the lake where we always swam.
As we left, hours later, I waved a forlorn goodbye to my Frisbee, floating in the reportedly water moccasin infested cove of the lake. Mom WAS worried about that!!!

Now days, it's just another weekend, with a bit of time taken out to quietly thank all those vets and active duty warriors out there. Although, come to think of it, it IS a tradition to do a rack of ribs and corn on the cob. Must buy some ribs!!

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm working the midnight shift, same as every sunday night. then, if i can stay awake, we're going to a local parade. next, i hope we can get to dw's dad's grave to plant a little flag. he was a ww2 vet in the navy.

then we're home to bbq, and shoot off some fireworks.

finally, i call my dad and say thanks for his service in ww2. he was a medic in the 109th regiment of the 28th army division in the european campaign.

recently, a tv commercial got me incensed when it said, "everyone knows the real meaning of this holiday weekend...shopping!!!" i hope whomever produced that commercial gets hit by a brand new car just off the lot while trying to get out of the way of the parade.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Bucky, as always, I love your way with words LOL

BBQ at a friends Saturday. Mega yard work Sunday and Monday. At some point I will be told what and if I am cooking.

Yes, I will fly the flag I spent four years in the USAF during Vietnam. I was not privileged to go and fight. I manned a computer to keep our coasts safe.

Last edited:

Biskit

This weekend will be like all others, just a day longer. I take a few minutes, now and then, to contemplate the sacrifices and contributions made by our folks in the Armed Services, both past and present. It is because of them that I have the freedom to enjoy my time off as I see fit, so "doing my thing" is, in my opinion, a way of appreciating them.

Saturday night, I'll be working at our race track here. Sunday morning will be yardwork, etc. Sunday afternoon, attending a couple of High School graduation parties.

Monday, work in my shop or on some project of mine.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well we have nothing planned different at all. Actually looking forward to an extra day off is all. Now we fly are pretty large flag on a 50' flag pole over our property every single day. We replace it as soon as it shows any signs of ware which means we buy about 3 per year for a small fortune each but it is always flying.

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm "Taking a trip". Going to overnight it in my van down in MD for a motocross race. Might bring the mutt too, we'll see. I might have a cool pic before I go, depends on if something comes in the mail today.

FooD

I am working Sat, Sun, & Mon.
I will also BBQ Sat, Sun, & Mon because that's what most people do on Memorial weekend, besides going camping....:D

lilylove

Just going for a day trip to the other side of the mountain... hopefully we'll find some sun. It's going to rain all weekend here.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Just a suggestion, please....can you write that you can have multiple choice in the opening post?? I only voted for one option, although several were correct. Cannot go back to revote:sad:

We always go down the shore, but it's not really 'take a trip' since we don't stay overnight. BBQ and parade watching is another big hit, too!