Bibimbap

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: What have you eaten Sunday, 2/9/2020 to Saturday, 2/15/2020?

Bibimbap
full

Damn, Karen! Everytime you post a photo of this dish, I swear I'm going to try it!

Then I promptly forget!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

Damn, Karen! Everytime you post a photo of this dish, I swear I'm going to try it!

Then I promptly forget!

Lee

You really should. It's a really great dish. I use a pound of meat and 1-1/2 cups Jasmine rice, and we get dinner and breakfast the next morning for both of us.

I use the recipes at mykoreankitchen.com. I do try to break up the cooking a bit though since you cook each thing separately. I toast the sesame seeds first, then use that pan to cook the carrots in some boiling salted water, rinse pan, then use the same pan to cook the spinach, wipe out/rinse, then the mushrooms, wipe/rinse, then finally the meat later in the day when it's time for dinner, starting the rice a bit before the meat gets cooked so they finish at the same time. I prep as I go, and somewhere along the way make the marinade (tripling the recipe for 1 pound) for the meat and the bibimbap sauce, which I double as Craig likes it. I put the eggs in the sous vide this time, but they can be fried or soft boiled. Oh, and I cook the bean sprouts in the same pan I later use for the rice. So, a 2 pan meal.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

You really should. It's a really great dish. I use a pound of meat and 1-1/2 cups Jasmine rice, and we get dinner and breakfast the next morning for both of us.

I use the recipes at mykoreankitchen.com. I do try to break up the cooking a bit though since you cook each thing separately. I toast the sesame seeds first, then use that pan to cook the carrots in some boiling salted water, rinse pan, then use the same pan to cook the spinach, wipe out/rinse, then the mushrooms, wipe/rinse, then finally the meat later in the day when it's time for dinner, starting the rice a bit before the meat gets cooked so they finish at the same time. I prep as I go, and somewhere along the way make the marinade (tripling the recipe for 1 pound) for the meat and the bibimbap sauce, which I double as Craig likes it. I put the eggs in the sous vide this time, but they can be fried or soft boiled. Oh, and I cook the bean sprouts in the same pan I later use for the rice. So, a 2 pan meal.
It looks wonderful. Have you posted your version/recipe instructions of Bibimbap with your notes anywhere? I have the My Korean Kitchen version/recipe but yours looks much better.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

It looks wonderful. Have you posted your version/recipe instructions of Bibimbap with your notes anywhere? I have the My Korean Kitchen version/recipe but yours looks much better.

I will. Thanks for the compliment. I don't use a wok but otherwise pretty much follow her recipes, though I do cook the spinach a bit differently.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

I will. Thanks for the compliment. I don't use a wok but otherwise pretty much follow her recipes, though I do cook the spinach a bit differently.

you're welcome Karen.

I don't use a wok either. If I had a range made for using a wok I would use one. I use a large cast iron pan heated super hot.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
4-5 servings, recipe is easily doubled, tripled.

Meat and meat sauce
1 pound ground round
3 Tbsp soy sauce or Tamari (I like Pearl River Bridge golden/light soy)
3 Tbsp sesame oil
3 tsp sugar – I use brown or palm sugar
3/4 tsp minced garlic

Bibimbap sauce – I double this because Craig likes it spicy.
2 Tbsp gochujang
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp sugar – I use brown or palm sugar
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic

Vegetables and other
6-8 ounces shiitake mushroom
2-3 carrots depending on size
3 to 4 serving portions of steamed rice
4 eggs, you want runny to slightly runny yolks to mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Fry, poach, soft boil or sous vide – your choice.
Some cooking oil (vege/canola/peanut) to cook the meat, mushroom, carrots and eggs if frying
Kosher salt
1 to 1-1/2 cups Jasmine rice depending on how much you like rice and how hungry everyone is.

Spinach
250g (0.6 pounds) baby spinach (more if you really like spinach)
1 tsp finely chopped spring onion/scallion
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp fine sea salt (You can adjust the amount of salt per your requirement)
1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
1 Tbsp sesame oil

Bean sprouts
350g (0.8 pounds) fresh mung bean sprouts
Kosher salt
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp sesame oil

NOTES
I use an 8-9 inch skillet and a sauce pot big enough to cook the rice in, plus 1 small bowl/ramekin, 1 medium bowl (for meat) and 1 small bowl (for bibimbap sauce), a couple of spoons, and a cutting board. Otherwise, I make foil “bowls” to hold the veges that can be thrown away after you are done. Of course, this is for family style, not if you are serving company.

TIP Keep sesame oil in the refrigerator once opened as it can go rancid being a nut/seed oil.

Directions
If you are cooking everything at once, follow as below. If you are only preparing veges and ground round to marinate, and will finish later, start water for rice about 20 minutes before you want to cook the ground round, then cook the meat, then the eggs.

Start cooking eggs after you start the ground round. You will need an additional skillet or pot depending on how you cook them. If you sous vide, 145 F for 1.5 hours, which obviously would need to be started much earlier.

Wash rice until water is fairly clear. Drain in a colander, set aside.

Make the meat sauce listed above and mix with the ground round. If you are using right away, set aside. If you are cooking later, cover and place in refrigerator. Marinate the meat for at least 30 minutes.

Toast 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp white sesame seeds in the skillet until just starting to turn golden. Pour into a small glass ramekin. Set aside.

Finely chop 2-3/4 Tbsp garlic. Set aside.

Finely chop 1 green/spring onion/scallion. Set aside.

Make the bibimbap sauce. Set aside.

Start water boiling in the sauce pot, add about 1 tsp kosher salt. Pick through the bean sprouts, removing any bad ones. Rinse if they feel a little slimy. We get them from the Asian market as they are cheaper and fresher than what you generally get in the regular grocery. Add the bean sprouts to the boiling salted water and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain, place in a foil bowl or other container, then add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well. Rinse the pot out.

If you are serving right away, start the water for the rice (Jasmine rice is 1 part rice to 1.5 parts liquid ratio) to the sauce pot, adding about 1 tsp kosher salt for each cup of rice after the water boils, then add rice, cover, bring back to a boil, then turn burner off and let sit for 20 minutes. The rice will cook with residual heat (learned this from one of Robert Irvine’s Food Network Dinner Impossible shows). If you aren’t cooking until later, hold off on cooking the rice so it will be hot, just start the water boiling about 20 minutes before you want to start cooking the ground round and eggs.

Add just a very small amount of water to the skillet, and add about 1/3 of spinach with some salt. Allow to wilt, add another 1/3 of spinach, wilt, then add the rest. Cook until all of spinach is wilted. Place in colander and press spinach with back of spoon to remove excess liquid. Place into a foil bowl or other container and add remainder of ingredients, mixing well. Rinse skillet.

Peel, rinse and julienne the carrots. Add enough water to the skillet to just cover the carrots, bring to a low boil, add some salt and the carrots, and cook until tender, adding additional water if needed. Water should be pretty much boiled away by then. Place in a foil bowl or other container. Rinse skillet.

While the carrots are cooking, clean/rinse the shiitake mushrooms, removing and discarding the stems, and thickly slice them. Add some cooking oil to the skillet over medium high heat, add the mushrooms and some salt, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Place in a foil bowl or other container. Rinse skillet and dry with a paper towel.

Place about 1 Tbsp of oil in the skillet and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Add ground round and cook until just done. Be careful, the sugar/sesame oil/soy sauce or tamari in the marinade will burn and give the meat a funky taste. Remove from heat.

Start cooking eggs after you start the ground round. You will need an additional skillet or pot depending on how you cook them. If you sous vide, 145 F for 1.5 hours, which obviously would need to be started much earlier.

Place rice into a bowl and add some meat, top with assorted vegetables, Bibimbap sauce and the egg on top of the rice. Serve.

Last edited by a moderator:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I forgot if a mod could add.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I cooked/coddled the eggs last night. Used 4 oz mason jars. Took the large eggs out and let them sit on counter for a couple of hours. Filled a large deep skillet with water up to about 2/3 height of jars, brought water to almost barely boiling, sprayed the inside of the jars with cooking spray, then placed the jars gently in the water. Broke the eggs into a ramekin, then slid into jars. Covered skillet and turned down the heat a bit and let them cook for about 5 minutes. Checked at 4.5, but the loose white parts were still really jiggly. At 5, got a firm white and a still runny yolk. Carefully lift out with a towel or canning jar holders or spatula. Scoop the egg out with a soup spoon,

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
4-5 servings, recipe is easily doubled, tripled.

Meat and meat sauce
1 pound ground round
3 Tbsp soy sauce or Tamari (I like Pearl River Bridge golden/light soy)
3 Tbsp sesame oil
3 tsp sugar – I use brown or palm sugar
3/4 tsp minced garlic

Bibimbap sauce – I double this because Craig likes it spicy.
2 Tbsp gochujang
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp sugar – I use brown or palm sugar
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic

Vegetables and other
6-8 ounces shiitake mushroom
2-3 carrots depending on size
3 to 4 serving portions of steamed rice
4 eggs, you want runny to slightly runny yolks to mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Fry, poach, soft boil or sous vide – your choice.
Some cooking oil (vege/canola/peanut) to cook the meat, mushroom, carrots and eggs if frying
Kosher salt
1 to 1-1/2 cups Jasmine rice depending on how much you like rice and how hungry everyone is.

Spinach
250g (0.6 pounds) baby spinach (more if you really like spinach)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp fine sea salt (You can adjust the amount of salt per your requirement)
1 Tbsp sesame oil

Bean sprouts
350g (0.8 pounds) fresh mung bean sprouts
Kosher salt
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp sesame oil

NOTES
I use an 8-9 inch skillet and a sauce pot big enough to cook the rice in, plus 1 small bowl/ramekin, 1 medium bowl (for meat) and 1 small bowl (for bibimbap sauce), a couple of spoons, and a cutting board. Otherwise, I make foil “bowls” to hold the veges that can be thrown away after you are done. Of course, this is for family style, not if you are serving company.

TIP Keep sesame oil in the refrigerator once opened as it can go rancid being a nut/seed oil.

Directions
If you are cooking everything at once, follow as below. If you are only preparing veges and ground round to marinate, and will finish later, start water for rice about 20 minutes before you want to cook the ground round, then cook the meat, then the eggs.

Wash rice until water is fairly clear. Drain in a colander, set aside.

Make the meat sauce listed above and mix with the ground round. If you are using right away, set aside. If you are cooking later, cover and place in refrigerator. Marinate the meat for at least 30 minutes.

Toast 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp white sesame seeds in the skillet until just starting to turn golden. Pour into a small glass ramekin. Set aside.

Finely chop 2-3/4 Tbsp garlic. Set aside.

Finely chop 1 green/spring onion/scallion. Set aside.

Make the bibimbap sauce. Set aside.

Start water boiling in the sauce pot, add about 1 tsp kosher salt. Pick through the bean sprouts, removing any bad ones. Rinse if they feel a little slimy. We get them from the Asian market as they are cheaper and fresher than what you generally get in the regular grocery. Add the bean sprouts to the boiling salted water and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain, place in a foil bowl or other container, then add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well. Rinse the pot out.

If you are serving right away, start the water for the rice (Jasmine rice is 1 part rice to 1.5 parts liquid ratio) to the sauce pot, adding about 1 tsp kosher salt for each cup of rice after the water boils, then add rice, cover, bring back to a boil, then turn burner off and let sit for 20 minutes. The rice will cook with residual heat (learned this from one of Robert Irvine’s Food Network Dinner Impossible shows). If you aren’t cooking until later, hold off on cooking the rice so it will be hot, just start the water boiling about 20 minutes before you want to start cooking the ground round and eggs.

Add just a very small amount of water to the skillet, and add about 1/3 of spinach with some salt. Allow to wilt, add another 1/3 of spinach, wilt, then add the rest. Cook until all of spinach is wilted. Place in colander and press spinach with back of spoon to remove excess liquid. Place into a foil bowl or other container and add remainder of ingredients, mixing well. Rinse skillet.

Peel, rinse and julienne the carrots. Add enough water to the skillet to just cover the carrots, bring to a low boil, add some salt and the carrots, and cook until tender, adding additional water if needed. Water should be pretty much boiled away by then. Place in a foil bowl or other container. Rinse skillet.

While the carrots are cooking, clean/rinse the shiitake mushrooms, removing and discarding the stems, and thickly slice them. Add some cooking oil to the skillet over medium high heat, add the mushrooms and some salt, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Place in a foil bowl or other container. Rinse skillet and dry with a paper towel.

Place about 1 Tbsp of oil in the skillet and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Add ground round and cook until just done. Be careful, the sugar/sesame oil/soy sauce or tamari in the marinade will burn and give the meat a funky taste. Remove from heat.

Place rice into a bowl and add some meat, top with assorted vegetables, Bibimbap sauce and the egg on top of the rice. Serve.
I just bough a package of Mung Bean's. I am going to do my best
to sprout them. Thank You Karen for all these sauces.