How many oz of noodles/person?

chowhound

I'm making Homecook''s No Peek Casserole (beef tips and noodles) tonight for my father, sister and BIL. How many egg noodles should I figure on for two big eaters and two light ones? I never really paid attention to how many I dumped in for myself out of a 12 oz bag.

FryBoy

Four ounces per person is a pretty big serving.

Two ounces is usually a sufficient serving if you have something else with the pasta.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with BS on this one 24 oz to 32 oz of pasta is about right for 4 people at least in my house it is. I can eat a half a pound myself with no problem and I'm not a big eater by any means.

chowhound

Thanks. I was just going to take one bag over, but now I'll take two.
I'm making it at home, then running it over tonight at dinner time. They are going to have the boiling water waiting :^)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I say a one pound bag is plenty! Any more and your meat is going to look a bit paltry swimming around in there. The meat should be the star of this dish!

chowhound

Thanks for the link, Doug.

Rob, the bags are 4 oz short of a lb. So I'll take over both bags and see what happens. My sister might have something to say, also, since she cooks for more than just one person. I think 24 oz (2 bags) would be way too much, but I don't mind having extra noodles if it means my BIL want leftovers for lunch or something. I'm guessing we dump in 1-1/2 bags, or 18 oz.

homecook

I agree about 1-1/2 bags if you want leftovers. I make a whole bag for me, dh and ds and have enough leftover for dh for lunch the next day. That's 2 big eaters (a 19 yr. old) and me. lol

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for the link, Doug.

Rob, the bags are 4 oz short of a lb. So I'll take over both bags and see what happens. My sister might have something to say, also, since she cooks for more than just one person. I think 24 oz (2 bags) would be way too much, but I don't mind having extra noodles if it means my BIL want leftovers for lunch or something. I'm guessing we dump in 1-1/2 bags, or 18 oz.

That makes sense. For reference, my Chili Macaroni that I made for the Iron Chef thread uses 6 oz. of pasta (I weighed it), and I've eaten two big bowls, plus there is some left!

FryBoy

According to Barilla, the Italian company that claims to be the largest producer of premium pasta in the world, a "reasonable serving" of pasta is one to two cups, which they say is the equivalent of 2 ounces of dry pasta. CLICK ME

A serving of 8 ounces or a half pound of dry pasta, would be the equivalent of four servings. Many of us could probably eat that much, but portion control is, in my experience, one of the keys to good health.

fat.jpg