Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Skillet SoftShell Crabs

Ingredients
2 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
all-purpose flour (I use Italian bread crumbs)
2 TBL butter

Season crabs with salt and pepper on both sides. Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge each crab in flour, turning to coat; shake off excess flour.

Melt butter in a 10" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add crabs to pan, top sides down; cook 3 minutes. Flip crabs over; cook an another 2 minutes.

Renfro Jones

LT if the crab is a female be sure and remove the reproductive organs ( small white disc about the size of a dime) if you don't crab will have a bitter un pleasant taste. LTM with a soft crab fried in butter, good stuff.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love SS Crab. It was a favorite of my Grandmother as well. This is the way she cooked them, and they were great!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I see soft shells in the market all the time but have never tried them. Do you eat those little legs too or pull them off like we did to daddy long legs when we were kids?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I see soft shells in the market all the time but have never tried them. Do you eat those little legs too or pull them off like we did to daddy long legs when we were kids?

Soft Shells are molting and have shed their old shell. The new shell is soft and won’t harden for a while. As such, you eat the whole thing, legs and all. Some people even make sandwiches out of fried SS crab and eat them that way. The whole thing is edible. If they haven’t been cleaned, then make sure to peel back the underside of the shell and scrap out the guts and reproductive organs.