Beef Short Ribs - Oven Roasted

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Most beef short rib recipes are braised in some kind of liquid. Last year, I got a recipe for putting them in a foil pan and placing them on the smoker, no liquid. The idea is to slowly let the fat render out and let them fry in their own fat.

I tried them on my WSM (smoker) and the short ribs were EXCELLENT, but I lost the recipe.

These are the smoker short ribs with some "brontosauras" beef ribs (I won't do THOSE again - hardly any meat).

Since I was busy (housework) today, I decided to try them in the oven.

Just salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Put them in a foil pan (so I don't have to wash it) and then into a 250 oven. After 2 hours, I kicked up the oven to 300 for another hour.

LOVE 'em! They are tender, crispy on the edges and like a roast, as opposed to a pot roast. I like them better this way.

Lee
Beef ribs.JPG

Last edited:

chowhound

Beauty!
I was looking for another way to cook shortribs. I've only grilled them 3-2-1 indirect, and wanted a decent oven method that maybe didn't take as long. This is it!

Thanks Lee. Those look very tasty.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I want to try this tonight but I'm wondering if I should put foil over the top of the pan or not. Does anyone know?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
My mom use to make beef ribs, first she would bake them covered with garlic and whatever other spices she liked and they would bake and render out. Then, she would put them them on a broiler pan with the sauce she liked (KCC Masterpiece or even Open Pit) and put them under the broiler.

They always turned out really good.

She even made lamb ribs but those are really fatty. Those she always added a bit of fresh lemon to the garlic.

lilylove

I have some short ribs thawing now....

They don't seem to have much meat on them. Think I'll try doing your cooking method but for less time. Sure looks goooood!!!

Thanks!!!!