NCT Member Poll

I like the direction NCT is going? 2nd question: Romper Room was a good idea, to k

• Yes, NCT is going in a good direction

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No, NCT is not the place I hoped it would be. Post why please.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Yes, I like the Romper Room idea. A place to let our hair down.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, I feel Romper Room takes away from NCT. If a post is bad then remove it.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I`m happy with the place as it is, perhaps you should make the romper room an Opt In feature, that way folks know what they`re getting into, and the others that don`t care for it, won`t even see it.

just a thought ;)
Good suggestion YT. And easily implemented. That very well be what I decide after I mull on it a bit.

heb1976

As for RR...I think it's a great idea as long as people post what the thread is about...I don't see what the problem is. If you click on the thread knowing what it is about and then get all upset, well...that's kind of like asking a question and then getting mad because you don't like the answer...so don't ask the question and don't click on the thread.

I am so glad that someone else said that! Kudos to you! I was thinking the same thing after listening to people get all bent about that part of the site. It was told to us what that part of the forum was for - if that is not your cup of tea then why do you go over there? Seems that some maybe want to fight, complain, & start crap. We are all adults here! I really like this site but seriously, I am getting tired of the baby crap. I am an adult and want to "hang" with adults. If I wanted to listen to complaining, I would hang out with my kids. Sorry - it just irritates me. If I left this site - it would be because of the above mentioned. It is one of the reasons I haven't been posting much.

You cannot please everyone ... period! And if you lose 2 members because of the Romper Room - oh well. There are 50+ that are still here. Majority rules in my eyes!

Doc you are doing a wonderful job! You really are! And the moderators are as well!!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I like NCT, but I've said it once, and I'll say it forever. When it comes to moderation, less is more. A simple "Please take it to PM's" is so much better than having a mod jump into the middle of an argument. Once a mod joins an argument, then by default they are taking sides, which is not fair to the person on the other side. Mods should be unbiased when it comes to members.

One moderation technique I've seen used is temporarily locking a thread. It gives members a chance to calm down, and then the thread can be reopened.

As far as the RR, I hardly use it, so I don't care if it goes...

Y

YT2095

on my home forum where I`v been on staff for nearly 6 years, we have a Mod rule that if you participate in a thread, you can`t take Moderator action in there, you May report a post and get a second opinion for actioning, but you shouldn`t do it yourself.

it works ;)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
on my home forum where I`v been on staff for nearly 6 years, we have a Mod rule that if you participate in a thread, you can`t take Moderator action in there, you May report a post and get a second opinion for actioning, but you shouldn`t do it yourself.

it works ;)

That's a great idea!

Y

YT2095

Thnx, although I can imagine the situation here (although not impossible) would make it a little harder to implement.
reason being that on my home forum, we have many different categories (unlike here where everybody fits in equally), so There, you can have a troll in Physics for instance, and most of us Chemists won`t take part in it, so WE can be used to Action it since the Physics guys/gals are likely to have taken part there.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the complement Heb!!!! :D

I like NCT, but I've said it once, and I'll say it forever. When it comes to moderation, less is more. A simple "Please take it to PM's" is so much better than having a mod jump into the middle of an argument. Once a mod joins an argument, then by default they are taking sides, which is not fair to the person on the other side. Mods should be unbiased when it comes to members.

One moderation technique I've seen used is temporarily locking a thread. It gives members a chance to calm down, and then the thread can be reopened.

As far as the RR, I hardly use it, so I don't care if it goes...

Agreed.

it works ;)

Some threads myself and all mods participate in, but I get the jest of what you are saying and that is how I want to run things. We (the mod team and myself) are all working together very well. Not sure that this idea has specifically been discussed, but it is how it works on Forums Forums. If a mod is in the middle of the issue, they will not take action on it period. This is exactly why we have the number of mods that we do. It helps us all to keep a open outlook as to what is happening.

When someone argues with a mod over moderation action, that is a completely different issue. Also, so you know, moderation issues will not be discussed with anyone other than the member being acted on, so please do not start a thread asking about stuff like that.

Except for removing spam, no mod acts alone. There is always at least a 2nd opinion, usually more. If that opinion agrees with the suggested action, then action is taken.

Y

YT2095

yeah, we had our fair share of so-and-so gave me an infraction for X,Y or Z too, that`s why many actions (other than spam ones as you say) require seconding by another staff member.

a GOOD DAY is when I don`t have to moderate a thing, I like those anyway, perhaps I`m lazy? LOL

heb1976

I wanted to add something else. About this Romper Room room.

I belong to alot of digital scrapbooking sites. The one I frequent is considered "the hub" of digiscrapping. During the election, alot of the members wanted to discuss what was going on with it - so they created a Political Forum. After the election, there was still a ton of interest in politics, so they created 2 subforums - NSBR (non- scrapbook related) and Scrapbook Chatter (scrap book related). Everything from your kids, politics, religion, cars, questions about doctors, etc is posted in the NSBR section. All the scrapbooking stuff is in the scrapbooking section. When you open the NSBR forum - there is a sub forum called Hot Topics. Underneath is the snippet - This section is "enter at your own risk". Please only post with a respectful and mature tone. You have to phyically go to that section to see the new posts. They also have a sticky at the top of the forum that says :
This forum is "enter at your own risk."
*Please do not read or post here if you are easily offended.
*Please be prepared for people to disagree with your opinions.
*Please post your own opinions with a sincere effort to use a mature and respectful tone. Do not mock or belittle your fellow posters.
*Please do not report posts from this section unless they are of a threatening or vulgar nature.
*DST reserves the right to delete or move posts that we feel are inapplicable or unacceptable.

Doing this helps you when needing to put out the fire. It is stated that you enter at your own risk - so if you are easily offended - don't go. If you get offended - that is your issue - you were warned. of course if there is a personal attack or something just horrific - it is understandable.

It is very surprising how there are not alot of fights in there. We are all woman - there are only 4 active "admitting" male scrapbookers that i know of on the sites. And we all know how woman can be - yet we are all civil. That is something I think we should do here.

We primarily go to that site for scrapbooking - that's it main function - everyone knows that. But sometimes you want to take a break, so we go to the non-scrapping side. This is the site if you want to see - it is still easily navigated and not messy. http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/

That is just my 2 cents and suggestion. It really works over there. The site there is basically the same - having 1 main function and a little extra.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I`m happy with the place as it is, perhaps you should make the romper room an Opt In feature, that way folks know what they`re getting into, and the others that don`t care for it, won`t even see it.

just a thought ;)

YT!!!! What is up with your avatar! I actually swatted my screen TWICE with a towel before I figured it out! Seriously! :w00t:

:yum:

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good post Heather. Sounds very doable for here also.
One question, do posts in this forum show up when you click 'new posts'? If you enter it that way you will not necessarily notice the warnings or description.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good post Heather. Sounds very doable for here also.
One question, do posts in this forum show up when you click 'new posts'? If you enter it that way you will not necessarily notice the warnings or description.

Yeah, all Back Room posts show up on front page as New posts. There's nothing stopping them.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Doc, can you make it a part of registration or since it is a member only section, can you make us all do the agreement before you're allowed entrance? It has to be clicked that they understand it. Don't just put a link to it, make it short and sweet so that it is clear what they are clicking on.
Better yet, make us click a yes box on each one of what Heather listed. When it is broken down and not in 50 words, people will read it that way.
When we click on the thread, it will bring us to the agreement, once we click yes to ALL, we have access.

buckytom

Grill Master
Bottom line: if this site is going in the right direction, its numbers sure don't show it. Pity.

lol, the only person i've ever warned anyone about was fryboy.

malcontents can spot each other from a mile away.

i'm smarter than i smell.