NCT Member Poll

I like the direction NCT is going? 2nd question: Romper Room was a good idea, to k

• Yes, NCT is going in a good direction

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No, NCT is not the place I hoped it would be. Post why please.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Yes, I like the Romper Room idea. A place to let our hair down.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, I feel Romper Room takes away from NCT. If a post is bad then remove it.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yes i like that the forum is growing and on a good course to succeed, but of course things always need improving(what is perfect in this world?). the forum is young, you are not going to solve everything all at once and there are always going to be glitches and bitches from someone.

there are always going to parts of a forum that one person loves and one doesn't.

i am a moderator on another site that i live at as much as i do at this one. We have a special room "section" for staff and site supporters. Mostly we use it to discuss site operations,site changes etc etc and yes occasionally a place to bitch. It doesnt make us better than anybody else.

i personally think you should keep that section open as a former staff member of different sites and as a current moderator of others. everybody needs a place to go to.

the romper room, well its like everything else on your computer, if you dont like it, just click the little X at the top of the screen+

when we have adult conversations or adult content, we made a section for such...

Adult Section - Not Work Safe - Must be 18+ to enter - Pm for password

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I like the general way NCT is going, I just get uncomfortable with some things. I also think the romper room needs developing - I like the idea but not necessarily the current execution.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I like the direction of the forum. I came because the people Thai I like, who also make food that I like are here. I got a bonus, more good people and more good food came along.

I think the romper room is a good idea. I would like to see 3 subforums under there. Play (Not Adult Material), Adult and debate. That way anyone entering an area knows what they are in for.

I have seen those that like the personal interplay we have with eachother, open forum day to day stuff and those that want just cooking. Personally, I am happy to be a member of a well rounded community.

chowhound

Hmmm....

Do I like the direction NCT is heading? No. Not when you look at all the threads on a whole. Too much antagonism. We already have a pissed off thread. Do we really need another thread started everytime you don't agree with something said on the news or is happening in our world? I don't think so. It floods the forum with negative thoughts.

And like JoeV said, I just don't think some threads belong here. This, I thought, was an adults' food and life forum, not an "adult themed" forum. I see a difference between the two. It seems to me that this forum is trying to expand to include other forums on the internet you might visit.

And I don't buy into the growing pains, going through changes is normal thing. Do most members really want to belong to a forum that changes attitude every three months? I was here at the beginning of the flood. I saw things go from, "Gee it's really great to be here" to, Gee Doc, can we change this. This is what I'm used to" to members, after exhausting their means to bash another forum, start bashing each other.

I took it as an insult to the current membership that had been here for a year, for new members to arrive and want to change things. Maybe these are the same members who on another forum said they would change the way the toilet paper hangs at a friend's house to the way they prefer....
Sure, I think a lot of the change was for the better, though it did turn this from a simple place to a more complex place, but I still took it as a slap in the face to existing membership. JMO.
The one positive from all the change, is we all made the change together. Changes happened and basically everyone was cool with it because we all felt a part of this forum. Now it has turned into "Animal Farm". Anytime you have moderators reminding you that they are here and they make decisions collectively and basically defending everything they do, you have a separation of classes.

This went from a very lightly moderated forum to a very heavily moderated one. Just look at our number of mods compared to our membership, many from the same time zone, which seems odd if you are trying to cover 24 hour periods. And not much later a separate place had to be created to hold all the threads that needed moved from the public eye so the bitching would stop on why all the disappearing threads...
And moderators started having to defend their moves. And starting to multi-quote members they did not agree with what was being said (seem familiar?). And a lot more bickering started taking place. And can't we all get along threads started cropping up (seem familiar?).
Did our membership increase significantly from two months ago to now? Maybe, but I'm looking at active posters and I don't see a big increase in active posters, I see a change in the way they post. And you can defend it all you want, but anytime you see active members physically post that they are leaving because of the forum, you've got a problem. Dropping out of sight is one thing, writing you a note is another. They are not crying out for help, they're trying to tell you to help yourself. Thin skinned or not. (Although I still believe the AARP thing was taken out of context)

I've typed so much I've forgotten where I was at (lol), so we'll leave it at that.
Just the objective view from an observer. Your mileage may vary.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Miniman! Your short and sweet statement says a lot. Right to the point, and I agree with you.
Keltin, Excellent post. You reinforced what I was thinking in the back of my mind about the Romper Room ****. I intended it to be for overflow of things we did not want guests to see, things that took away from NCT. I was already considering the idea of making it an overflow, and not have it open for new thread creation.

Folks, I am told that some of you are afraid to talk to me about your concerns. I do not understand that. If you have a problem or concerns the only way I can address them is if you let me know about them. Either here in a post or in a PM. If you want to remain confidential, just say so in your PM. It's really that simple.

Thank you all for your thoughts so far. I am happy to see the majority of you like the way things are. Yes indeed there will be tweaks and slight changes as we move down this forum road together, but overall I feel lucky to have such a GREAT group of folks who like Net Cooking Talk and put so much of their time into making this a fun and interesting place for all of us. I thank you all for that!!!! :clap: :tiphat: :applause:

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Thanks Miniman! Your short and sweet statement says a lot. Right to the point, and I agree with you.
Keltin, Excellent post. You reinforced what I was thinking in the back of my mind about the Romper Room ****. I intended it to be for overflow of things we did not want guests to see, things that took away from NCT. I was already considering the idea of making it an overflow, and not have it open for new thread creation.

Folks, I am told that some of you are afraid to talk to me about your concerns. I do not understand that. If you have a problem or concerns the only way I can address them is if you let me know about them. Either here in a post or in a PM. If you want to remain confidential, just say so in your PM. It's really that simple.

Thank you all for your thoughts so far. I am happy to see the majority of you like the way things are. Yes indeed there will be tweaks and slight changes as we move down this forum road together, but overall I feel lucky to have such a GREAT group of folks who like Net Cooking Talk and put so much of their time into making this a fun and interesting place for all of us. I thank you all for that!!!! :clap: :tiphat: :applause:

I ain't skeered!!! lol:kiss:

Seriously, I think it is habit as that was said over "there" and that is where the problems started with some of them.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you ain't skeered Texas Girl!!! :thumb: And thanks for the explanation.

Vera, you all's was my attempt at humor. I started to use Yall's ...maybe that would have been better.

Chowhound, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that we want to stop the antagonistic type of posts & threads. I will strive to ensure this is a friendly place for all with the primary focus being on cooking & food subjects.

Calicolady

Doc, since you are the "main man", and it's your poll, I will address you.
I have been scarse not for any reason as I finally bit the bullet and got some sleep, and then became a cooking "fiend" trying to store up some things that won't be available shortly.
However, I have checked in in the past 2 days, and things got alittle too provocative for me in some of the highly active threads, and I just didn't want to share my opinions.
That being said (and I hate that phrase), that was my right.
I didn't go insulting people and place jusdgement verbally, yet, I am not saying anyone else did either.
That was not my point of saying that. To each his own.
I like all about being here. I think you are very gracious to ALL
of us and I sincerely thank you for that.
And hope it can be this way always.
What I find, however, is that some folks, and I am just as quilty sometimes as others, is that when someone opens a thread, others comment and lead the thread in a totally different direction. Good or bad, sometimes insulting or sounding belittling to the original poster.
Example, there was a thread about who knows what a few weeks back, and somehow it went in a direction about gardening.
When I realized what I had done, I suggested that part be moved to the Gardening section and it was. (thank you).
That's what I see needs to be addressed. I wish the folks who want to go on a tangent, even if it's sparked by an existing thread, would open there own thread.
Keeping on topic seems to be most of our problem and most times, to most of us, it's fun. But sometimes, when I want more info on an original topic, I have to wade thru countless off topic posts to see if there's anymore info on the original post info. Often, there's not.

That's all I have to say.
Thanks again, Doc.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, because I am unable to pay, I don't have any rights and not allowed in a "secret room"?
I think I have just changed my mind about all this.

TexasGirl (I sure am glad you have your TexasGirl name back! :thumb: :D )

When a person pays cash to support the site I have to be able to give them a little extra. I mention the Site Supporter forum on the Site Supporter web page (link near the top of every page under the logo). The forum is a bennie. It is not a busy forum, but it is one that only Site Supporters can see. No secret, just a little extra. Just like I allow them to store extra PM"s in their PM box and I'm working on giving them some additional smilies to choose from.
This is what pays for the site. The folks that can donate deserve a little something extra. And what I can give them is not much, but it's a little extra to help entice folks to stay a site supporter year after year.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I forgot, on thread drift: I have no problem with it (and add to it all the time myself!), I just think we should be more vigilant in separating threads out when it happens, in respect for the OP and what they originally wanted..

I agree Mav. And this goes along with what Cali just pointed out. We do need to be more proactive in separating out posts that take the thread so far off the original topic. Mexico Karen's bye thread is a perfect example of thread drift gone to far.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
One thing that I think will help us out is to stop these comparisons with the other site. Seems like you can't make a move without someone trying to compare it with what happened 'over there'.
I have even, actually, been told several times, "Don't do it this way, not because it is bad, but only and simply because it was done there...".
By the time you get done eliminating anything that might ever have possibly been done on the other site, there isn't much left.
Try to have a discussion about something and approach it in a calm manner directing your comments directly to what is being said and not the person saying it, and suddenly you get accused of being like 'Napoleon" not because of what you said, but because of the way you typed it.
Seriously?? You are that hung up on it that now you want people to avoid typing things a certain way just so you don't get 'reminded' of someone else???
Talk about your egg shells. If it keeps going this way, we are going to have two camps. One that thinks free speech is all about antagonizing people and are constantly running around seeing how far they can push it and what they can stir up. And the second camp that won't let you do anything cause it all just reminds them of another place.

I would also like to remind people, as Doc has previously stated, Mods are members first, then Mods. There seems to be a disturbing attitude lately amongst some members that because we are Mods we should not be allowed to participate in discussions or certain threads, and if we do then we are not airing our opinion on a subject like everyone else but being 'heavy handed' and 'forcing' our opinions on members.
I can't speak for all of the Mods, but speaking for myself I have not changed, but the way people look at me suddenly has. Now I find people hinting at me that I can't be an active participating member anymore, that I should just stand in the background and wait until 'called upon' by some member in need.
I also see a lot of members making 'fun' of that fact that we act as a group, discussing things prior to doing them. The alternative is a hierarchy system with a "napoleon' at the top, is this really what people want? Eliminate group decisions and go to 'my single decision is final'?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
The poll results speak for itself.
The place rocks Doc, pure and simple.
It can only get better.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I agree - this place does rock! And I hope the general site policies remain the same because it does allow for a lot of fun and spontaneity. And I think that very relaxed atmosphere has attracted a lot of cool people that I'm enjoying hanging out with - like you, Sass!

I'm glad that Doc posted this poll and that people have responded honestly because I want to know what bothers people here. For example, I will try to be better about going "off topic" because I now see it is very annoying to some people. It will be just as easy to start a new thread when my short little attention span begins to wander. Also, I will watch my language more and probably try to confine my more adult remarks to PMs. Not because it will be a new rule, but because those things are bothering some people.

buckytom

Grill Master
i didn't vote beacuse i'm undecided about a few things, but for the most part, i'm happy.

i really like the freedoms here, especially the way mav described it as personal responsibilty. that's the way things should be.

i even tested it a bit by posting an obviously offensive thing or two, and no one even flinched. well, the only one that did had a very valid reason, and was polite to me in a pm about it.

but i have to agree with chowdog about all of the negativity that has been swirling about. i have enough crap filled stress in my life. i come here for fun, friendship, and food. i don't need to be cheered down.

that's not so much a problem of the functioning of the site, but just the mix of the members. i just hope the attitude of the rank and file improves.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
but i have to agree with chowdog about all of the negativity that has been swirling about. i have enough crap filled stress in my life. i come here for fun, friendship, and food. i don't need to be cheered down.

Good points BT. I agree with both of you guys about the negativity and we will try to do better at not letting things go negative and stop extreme thread drift. All threads drift some, but extreme drift is a disservice to the OP.

Note to all, if you see a negative post or extreme thread drift that you feel should be dealt with all you have to do is hit the "Report Post" button. You can also use that button to get our attention about a thread title you mistyped or a thread you posted in the wrong forum etc. Anything you need help with in a thread is best handled by reporting the post. That gets our attention the quickest & shows us what thread or post you are talking about. When you click that button you'll get a chance to comment on why you are reporting the post. Please be as descriptive as possible.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok...........I’m really bad about going off topic, so I’ll now buckle down and stick to the topic at hand.

As for the Mods, maybe I’m missing something, but I haven’t seen them do a whole lot of “disturbing” the threads. I can think of 2-3 threads that got closed, and one of my posts was edited......and I completely agreed with all of it! 100%!!!

The threads that got closed had gotten way too nasty and people were name calling. That’s when a thread should die, and the Mods did it.

Other than that, I’m simply not seeing a lot of heavy handed Mod activity. You guys are probably extremely busy behind the scenes, but your “public” actions are very non-intrusive as far as I can see. I think our Mods are doing a great job! :clap:

I know we don’t want to talk about the other place, but over there, every day when I logged in, I had “Notifications” out the wa-zoo. Instead of being cool PMs from other members, it was “Your post has been deleted”, “Your post has been removed”, “Your post has been edited”, “Your post was taken down”, etc, etc, etc. I actually got sick of logging in to see I had new Notifications!

When I got here, I remember when I got my first PM. I logged in and saw I had a Notification. Oh NO I thought.....not again. I was actually rather nervous about opening my Notifications! But it was simply a nice PM saying welcome to the Forum! Now, I think I’m finally over being worried about Notifications! :lol:

Lefty

Yank
Ok...........I’m really bad about going off topic, so I’ll now buckle down and stick to the topic at hand.

As for the Mods, maybe I’m missing something, but I haven’t seen them do a whole lot of “disturbing” the threads. I can think of 2-3 threads that got closed, and one of my posts was edited......and I completely agreed with all of it! 100%!!!

The threads that got closed had gotten way too nasty and people were name calling. That’s when a thread should die, and the Mods did it.

Other than that, I’m simply not seeing a lot of heavy handed Mod activity. You guys are probably extremely busy behind the scenes, but your “public” actions are very non-intrusive as far as I can see. I think our Mods are doing a great job! :clap:

I know we don’t want to talk about the other place, but over there, every day when I logged in, I had “Notifications” out the wa-zoo. Instead of being cool PMs from other members, it was “Your post has been deleted”, “Your post has been removed”, “Your post has been edited”, “Your post was taken down”, etc, etc, etc. I actually got sick of logging in to see I had new Notifications!

When I got here, I remember when I got my first PM. I logged in and saw I had a Notification. Oh NO I thought.....not again. I was actually rather nervous about opening my Notifications! But it was simply a nice PM saying welcome to the Forum! Now, I think I’m finally over being worried about Notifications! :lol:

Paypal is our friend. :) j/k

FryBoy

Just to put things in perspective, this site has all of 189 members, not deducting for those who have left for one reason or another. That other site so many of us revile had 20,308 members as of this evening.

Of those 189 members, only 152 have ever posted anything; only 107 have more than 10 posts, and only 62 have over 100.

This poll appears to have all of 27 votes on the good/bad direction issue.

Bottom line: if this site is going in the right direction, its numbers sure don't show it. Pity.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just to put things in perspective, this site has all of 189 members, not deducting for those who have left for one reason or another. That other site so many of us revile had 20,308 members as of this evening.

Of those 189 members, only 152 have ever posted anything; only 107 have more than 10 posts, and only 62 have over 100.

This poll appears to have all of 27 votes on the good/bad direction issue.

Bottom line: if this site is going in the right direction, its numbers sure don't show it. Pity.

mk7p94.jpg

The site has seen a real boom starting this past January. Unfortunately, there are some that are bitter and filled with poison and want to bend the forum to their slant. They use PMs as viciously and covertly as possible to “turn” as many as they can. It’s sad and a bit sickening really.

HEY - if you’ve ever received a PM or email “warning” you about another member, why not post it here or tell a Mod. Perhaps the problem isn’t the site, but the problem is what is REALLY going on behind the scenes with some of the more unscrupulous members. This site is only as good as its members….always remember that.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You're right, Keltin, it's 390 members! I hadn't checked in a while.

You're also right about a few members causing a lot of problems "off the board". It's scary to newer members to receive PMs outlining all the problems and "bad members to avoid here" before they even get a chance to get comfortable. That isn't the kind of behavior I want to be associated with. Thankfully it an isolated problem and not representative of the general membership. 99% of us speak out openly and fairly on the board when we have problems so that problems can be addressed.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You're right, Keltin, it's 390 members! I hadn't checked in a while.

You're also right about a few members causing a lot of problems "off the board". It's scary to newer members to receive PMs outlining all the problems and "bad members to avoid here" before they even get a chance to get comfortable. That isn't the kind of behavior I want to be associated with. Thankfully it an isolated problem and not representative of the general membership. 99% of us speak out openly and fairly on the board when we have problems so that problems can be addressed.

Amen Mother Superior! Shall we W00t now??? :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Click on the "member's list" link -- it shows only 189 members. http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/memberlist.php

VB code is known to have "scroll errors" when "searching". The front page viewable to the whole world, as I clearly posted (the pic is right there), shows 390 members. As for the real number, ask Doc. I have over 1,000 posts, but can only search the past 500. There are limits to how far back these sub search areas can reach. It's a coding thing. Know much about C, Data Arrays, and Function Calls? I'd love to chat about it!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
You're also right about a few members causing a lot of problems "off the board". It's scary to newer members to receive PMs outlining all the problems and "bad members to avoid here" before they even get a chance to get comfortable.

:shock:
Yeah.. and yes.
Swear to God, that happened to me the very DAY I was new here.
Some dipsh!t from another forum was logging into Yahoo messenger posting stupid status messages because she knew I was here now... and also lurking at my posts in general.
Why I ask?
Doesn't matter now, she appears to have vanished, I think.
I also got those.. "do not talk to this member or that member" PM.
I'll make up my OWN mind, thank you very much!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:shock:
Yeah.. and yes.
Swear to God, that happened to me the very DAY I was new here.
Some dipsh!t from another forum was logging into Yahoo messenger posting stupid status messages because she knew I was here now... and also lurking at my posts in general.
Why I ask?
Doesn't matter now, she appears to have vanished, I think.
I also got those.. "do not talk to this member or that member" PM.
I'll make up my OWN mind, thank you very much!
This really bothers me.

If anyone receives an unsolicited PM warning them of 'other members' please notify myself or one of the mods. A new member will be scared off by this kind of gossip. There is software that allows me to read members PM's. I have refused to install that because I believe Private Messages should remain private. I hope nothing happens here to make me reconsider that decision.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Click on the "member's list" link -- it shows only 189 members. http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/memberlist.php
Kelitin is correct in that 390 members have registered here at NCT. FryBoy is correct about the number of members showing in the members list. And another number that would be lower than FryBoys would be the members active in the past 30 days, also known as active members.
The difference in the two numbers is the members status. Banned members do not show up on the members list. We had a horrible rash of spammers a few months back. Even I'm shocked at the ratio of banned users to members in good standing.
We need more members guys. I'll start another thread on that.

Y

YT2095

I`m happy with the place as it is, perhaps you should make the romper room an Opt In feature, that way folks know what they`re getting into, and the others that don`t care for it, won`t even see it.

just a thought ;)