• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have one messenger and usually stay in invisible mode, unless I see someone log on that I'd like to talk to.
Most of my friends from FF are on that messenger anyhow.
Come to think of it, had one person send me a PM on there once AND ask me if I had my messenger open.
What the heck??
As long as we were PMing, why open the messenger?!
haha!

This is what I use to do. I would stay in invisible mode unless there was someone online that I wanted to talk to. It worked well when my folks were in Florida and I was in Ohio. I could ask a quick question or send some info without making a phone call.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Right now I am finding the PM system quite cumbersome, but that is more likely a reflection of my lack of understanding of how it works.

I've seen folks post a Visitor message when a PM would be more appropriate. So I wondered if others have issues with the PM system. Maybe we need a PM Tips type of thread. What do you think?

Sample tips:
The easiest way to PM anyone is to click on their member name in any of their posts. A drop down window will give you the option to email that users, PM that users, or find all posts by that user.
If you click PM a PM window will open with it already addressed to that users. Pretty slick.
But if you are already PM'ing and want to wrote a PM to someone, of course you could just reply to a PM from theme, if you have one, but lets assume you don't have a PM from them to respond to. Look over in the left hand cloumn for "Send a Private Message, and click that.

Hope that helps.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, there are a bunch of interesting things to talk about over there!

Cool!

Lee

Wart

Banned
Forumsforums, that other place. :D

No no no .... "That Other Place" is reserved for That Other Place.

Forumsforums is another forum operated by Doc.

>>>>

Chat? You can have it. Not interested past a curiosity.

The story: I was on a active Mustang mail list. A female from Sweden was going to be in D.C. during the Ford show at Carlisle Pa. and needed to meet up with someone in order to attend. To attend she would have had to rent a car, carry camping equipment or get a hotel room, so I obliged. I told her I would pick her up at the bus station and supply whatever gear she needed. We worked out the details through chat.

After everything was set she starts this 'I'm touching myself' crap ... Uh, no, I don't go there. Told her that. Her reply was "You have to be strong to play ...", No, If I want laid I only have to flirt with Wife. Told her that, and any more of this behavoir and I'll sever all ties.

I should have told her Carlisle was off and to have a nice life. But I committed to something and mayhaps she was just a keyboard commando. It was about the most miserable weekend wife and I've had. I'm leaving allot of the story out.

>>>

Second part of my not using chat is a mix of Carple and time, I like to think over my words. Sometimes a reply window will be open for an extended period without entry. And chatting is like personal communication without voice inflection and visual cues.

>>>

Third is, what others have written, can't get a damned thing done when that frigging window keeps popping up.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Oh no Wart!!! I'm sorry that some crazy woman just had to have you, lol. I know, that isn't funny. Some people are just psycho. I promise not to be that way though
3.gif

Just joking, Just joking!! Bad things have come from chatting, I know. And I really am sorry that she did that to you and your wife. I hope wife has forgiven you for trying to be nice to someone!!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Wart, I have had similar chat experiences. People want to cheat on their spouses and I just don't want to play that game. I figure if someone isn't going to respect their spouse at least I will.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Chat and IM are completely different. IM is one on one, but chat can have many people in the conversation. I’m not a big fan of chatrooms, and I agree it could take away from posting. But it might also be a good outlet for late night posting where it could field off-topic chatter instead of blowing some thread completely south.

But if taking a thread completely off topic and filling it up with chatter isn’t a problem, then no need for a chat room I guess. Some threads here such as the Virtual Bar thread are a lot like a chatroom anyway. Besides, maybe it helps the site’s search engine rankings by having more posts?