comments suggestion

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I know what you are saying TG... I think you should have the power to manage what is on your visitor comments page. It is your profile, right?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
sattie, are you trying to turn this place into DC where people have the right to sanitize what others say? I don't like that precedent. It is far better to think before you type and not hit enter when you are angry. This was suppose to be an open forum where we celebrated free speech and the market place of ideas. Perhaps the real problem is not being able to comport oneself as an adult and posting in anger on a public page when it should be done by private message.

I do not want this site to turn into DC where the mods and admins can recreate history by deleting what others have said.

If this is what you are going to do, I fear you are going to lose membership.

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
At the same time, there are things that are more appropriate to PM's. And I don't think a person controlling what is on their page can be equated with DC removing posts, changing headers, removing entire threads, and even removing an entire profile.
Giving a person the ability to manage their own profile page is not the same as having Mods/Admins 'sanitizing' things.

That is just my take on it.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Susan, I understand what you are saying and have no intentions of trying to make this place like DC or any other forum. I don't care what DC does and I'm done with it like it is done with me. But I do understand the request. I agree in having free speech, but I also agree at being able to manage my own profile of things I don't care for.

I respect your position on this, I only ask that you respect mine and not accuse me of trying to mold this place into something that it is not. I think along with the freedom of speech comes along with the freedom of allowing what is and what is not posted on your own profile.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Not when it is someone else's post. The better solution is to private message that person and resolve the difference and not go to a mod or admin to change reality.
That is exactly what DC did and I will fight to keep this place from turning into that place.

Have we not learned what deleting posts and threads does? Are we going to repeat the same mistakes here. I hope not. It is why I came here. I wasn't banned until after I came here and followed chowhound.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
One can delete pms but not vms. Perhaps that means that your discussion is being carried on in the wrong place. One is private and the other is out in the open.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One can delete pms but not vms. Perhaps that means that your discussion is being carried on in the wrong place. One is private and the other is out in the open.

Exactly! So, because we cannot control what other members post in public on our profiles, there should be an option to delete a post that the author SHOULD have pm'd.

Lee

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I have had my say and NOONE is going to goad me into more, lol
I LOVE the ignore list!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If I leave a message on yours. You can't delete it, but, I can, since I left it. If you don't like what I said, you can't delete it, even though it's your page. That is what I want. To have a choice of what is put there.
I must've missed that setting. Of course members should be able to delete visitor messages from their own profile.
Visitor messages are not a good way to chat, please use PM for that purpose.

I will fix vistor messages so that you can delete the ones in your profile. Makes sense to me.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Question on New Posts

I checked the visitor profile messages and you all already have permission to delete any messages in your profile visitor message area. Can someone verify this for me?

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Question on New Posts

I just checked, its the lower left hand corner of the block of visitor messages.

marked moderation, select delete.

First, check the box on the upper right hand of the vm you want to delete.

Then click the go button under moderation. The button will contain the total number of the messages you are changing. I think you will get a choice of a soft delete or a hard delete. I''m not sure what the difference is. The hard probably means gone forever, maybe soft means you can retrieve it. Doc?

Jim

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, it works. The only option I was offered was a "soft delete". I typed in the reason for deleting (test) and it deleted an "oops" message from deelady, but left her name and the time she posted her message.

Stacy, I see you found a way to delete everything of a post. How'd you do it?

Lee

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yes, it works. The only option I was offered was a "soft delete". I typed in the reason for deleting (test) and it deleted an "oops" message from deelady, but left her name and the time she posted her message.

Stacy, I see you found a way to delete everything of a post. How'd you do it?

Lee

Me too, all I get is the soft delete option. It still leaves username, time, and reason.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
It still shows the name on there and who deleted it. I haven't been able to do a complete delete yet.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can other members see that in your profile? Look at someone who said they deleted a VM and tell us if you see anything about the deleted message. I'm guessing no one else will see it.
I've never deleted one ....plus being admin I do not see the same thing as you folks do.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ah, you are right Doc!

I just came to the site with Google Chrome which doesn’t have my login cookies, so I was a guest. I checked my own profile, and the test post I deleted does not show at all (no traces). So only you the profile owner can see the delete remnants.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Cool, cause I was gonna say I can still see the ones I deleted. But if only I can see that and visitors can't, that is good! Nothing messy to wonder about, LOL.