NCT Planned outage, could be extended for some members

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This has been a rollercoaster ride. I bet Doc has a great big ol' headache :sorry:. Keeping my fingers crossed that all runs smoothly from here on out.
You are right Cooksie, I have a HUGE headache.
One day I can get here just fine, then the next I can't. This morning I was connected okay from work, then I could not connect. The DNS address is resolving to the old IP address for some reason I have not figured out.
Andy is helping and others are providing input but so far we have no solution. This crazyness could keep up until Friday. Our DNS record has a TTL (Time To Live) of one week. So if the old one dies after one week, we should not see the old IP address any longer ......i hope. Please bear with me. We will get this solved one way or another.
My apologies for all the aggravation this has caused.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
there's apparently an outdated DNS server that keeps propagating the old IP -
it'll bomb here, if I flush out the DNS cache, I can connect no prob; next day, no work,, again.

fwiw, no clue how one "solves" such an issue.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am pretty sure we are fixed. The DNS madness is over. How could I know that? Cause it was our over-site that caused it. Two of us work on the servers and in our conversation we thought DNS2 was all changed and set for the new IP addresses. It wasn't and it has taken us till late this morning to realize the over-site. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Thanks Andy and Jim for your input, research and thoughts on this issue. :tiphat: :clap:

When things don't make sense double check and triple check your settings. Duh. I know better. :wall: :hide: :yum:

Ian M.

Thanks, Doc, for all the hard work you've been doing to get everything back on line and running smoothly. For the first couple of days after the servers were moved we couldn't get on NCT but we thought it was something wrong with Comcast which kept giving us loud and long raspberries when we tried. But all okay now and everything is cool again. You're a wonder....you could fill an entire set of encyclopedia with what I don't know about what makes computers tick! I don't know who ever thought up the concept that they're supposed to make life easier....not so. Just a new name for migrains!

Now out to the patio to build Fallon's cat coop. Wish me luck because I don't know too much about fence building, either. Hey, I'm supposed to be a good cook, not a genius!

Ian :yuk: