NCT Cookbook!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is not the 3 word post thread Keltin. :poke: :yum:

I'm hoping we can get 101 recipes and name it something along the lines of:
101 Mouth watering recipes from Net Cooking Talk
Volume 1

:yum::yum::yum::thumb:

Are we to the point where we can start submitting more recipes beyond 5 to get us there? If so, are there any particular categories that need to be beefed up....Appetizers, Meats, BBQ, Salad, Soup, Slow Cooker, etc???

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
:yum::yum::yum::thumb:

Are we to the point where we can start submitting more recipes beyond 5 to get us there? If so, are there any particular categories that need to be beefed up....Appetizers, Meats, BBQ, Salad, Soup, Slow Cooker, etc???
I think SS has said ok to more than 5 each. Bucky and I have asked the category question and are awaiting an answer.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm sorry. I somehow missed the question.

We're still at 70-something. I mentioned in my last update that folks who are willing can please submit another batch of recipes. Other than vyapti, no one west of the Mississippi has submitted any recipes, so I would like you all to help me prod some non-easterners to participate!

I would be happy to start listing names.....:whistling:

These people have contributed. Please feel free to send more or to harass those folks whose name should be on the list but aren't .:poke:

Adillo
Buckytom
Cooksie
Deelady
Jim Slagle
JoeV
Mama
Keltin
Mhend
MexicoKaren
Peeps
PieSusan
Qsis
SassMuffin
SilverSage
VeraBlue
Vyapti

The categories I have the most of are Breads, Soups, and Desserts.
As far as entrees go, Chicken and Pork dominate. Pasta is close. Believe it or not, other than a chili, I don't think we have anything with Beef, and there are only 3 Seafood recipes. There are a few Breakfasts, Appetizers and Salads, 3 or 4 each. We have 5 truly Vegetarian/Vegan recipes (thanks, Matt).

Everything I've read in my research says that 125-175 is an ideal number for a project like this. But I'll be happy with Doc's 101.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Beef entry sent

Peep's Deconstructed Sheppard's

111910_sheppards_pie_served_4.jpg

Deelady

I just sent in 4 more recipes :) 2 apps and 2 beef recipes. Let me know if you didn't receive them.

Any idea yet if this will be an in print book or online?

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
BUMP! Is this project still viable? Haven't seen any activity in almost a month.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks for bumping this, joev. i was just thinking about it as well.

i figured it was put on the back burner 'till after the holidays.

i'd like to contribute a few more recipes if that's possible?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes indeed it's still viable. We do need a few more recipes so please feel free to send them in BT and anyone else who would mind donating a few more recipes.
The holidays did slow us down for sure but we do still plan to produce a NCT cookbook. :thumb:

K

Kimchee

Still need recipes?
I forgot to send any in.
And can you review how to submit them or link to the directions, pleez?
:)

buckytom

Grill Master
i've been meaning to send more recipes, but i've forgotten what i've submitted thus far.

is anyone still doing this that would know so i could add more if it's still a go?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SS is still collecting, once we get enough recipes we will pursue publishing. I prefer to do this right rather than rush it. We'll get there, slow but sure.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ok I think this is all of it (there may be some repeating) I dug around and found info I had. I think I got all of it.

NCT Cookbook Instructions and FAQ's - Net Cooking Talk

Originally Posted by SilverSage
The requirements for submitting recipes are going to be a lot easier than I first thought. By request, I'm opening a new thread so that no one has to wade through all the chit-chat to find the instructions. I've typed them up and I'm putting them here with a sticky. If you have specific questions about them, feel free to ask, but please keep all comments, suggestions, and 'better ideas' in the other thread so that those just looking for specifics can find them easily.

I opened a gmail account for submissions. It's NCTcookbook@gmail.com

I can just as easily accept an MSWord document or a recipe typed straight into an email. It really doesn't matter.

Although we haven't worked out the printing yet, we all know that color printing is more expensive. We MAY be able to use SOME pictures. Also, some pictures may still look good if converted to B&W. If we offer an on-line version, pics may be just fine. So feel free to send 1 clear pic of your dish if you wish. We will use some of them if we can.

Pictures MUST be sent as an attachment. Jpeg is fine. It's too much extra work for me to strip them out of a document, especially if I get hundreds of them. It will help greatly if you name your photos the same name as your recipe. When matching them up, it's a lot easier to match 'Sticky Chicken" to a photo called stickychicken.jpg than it is for me to sort through all the 102709003.jpg's and try to get the right ones together. So PLEASE rename your pics to match the recipe title.

The nutritional info is actually pretty accurate. It recognizes things like a "bunch" of parsley or a "pinch" of salt or a "medium" onion. When in doubt, it allows me to link it to the appropriate ingredient/quantity. The software "learns" and gets smarter the more you use it. Since I've been using it for a couple of years, mine has a lot of data that isn't in the base version. Whether or not we use it in the final printing will probably be a function of space and design. But it doesn't matter to anyone in the submissions because I just tell it to either print it or not at the end.

It automatically converts Teaspoon or TSP or teas to 'tsp' if I set it up that way, so there is no need to insist that everyone use the same terms. Anything that is unclear to me, I can always ask the submitter.

I'm not concerned about balancing appys with entrees with desserts at this point. I think it will all work out. If we are real short of something, I can just put out a call to you guys for more salads, or whatever we need.

Likewise, word count doesn't matter. A recipe for Chex Mix (place all ingredients in a bowl and toss) is just as useful as a recipe for a raspberry cake with 4 distinct layers. These are our favorites. Some are quick and easy; some are more involved. We'll work all that out in the layout. If any one recipe is waaaaaayyyyyy too long, I'll talk to the contributor.

Each person needs to decided whether they want to use their screen name or their real name. I don't think it matters if we have some each way. Actually, you can probably put both if you want. Just identify your recipe they way you want the author listed in the book. For example; John Smith (BigChef) will work just fine.

It's becoming apparent to me that the biggest issue will NOT be the format of the submissions. It WILL be proofreading and editing. PLEASE try to spellcheck your entries before sending. We will proofread to the best of our ability. If we have a real spelling & grammar maven here, please step forward. Be forewarned - we WILL edit! Please don't be offended.

There's the ability for you to put in a 'tag line' or comment with your recipe title, such as:
*Just like Olive Garden!
*Rich and Creamy!
*Refreshing lunch on a hot summer's day!
Just keep them brief. We'll use them as we can. Some of them may actually help us balance the size of the recipes to the pages a little bit.

There's also the ability to show a tip, such as:
*Freezes well.
*Even better the next day.
*Wonderful with mashed potatoes and green beans.
*Line pan with foil for easy clean up.
*This is also good made with chicken instead of pork.

It would be a nice touch if you listed the Prep Time, Cooking Time, and Inactive Time (resting or chilling, etc). This is not required, but space allowing, would be useful. Please tell us how many servings the recipe makes or the yield in volume if appropriate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, here's the preferred order of things (not mandatory, just easier at my end):

Recipe Name
Comment or Tag Line (if you want)
Author (that's you)

Prep time
Cooking time
Inactive time

Servings
or
Yield

Ingredients
example: 1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs

Procedure
(Preferably this should be listed as steps, not one big paragraph.)

Tips (any suggestion for serving, freezing, etc)

You don't have to do anything more. You don't even have to list these heading words. Just type up your recipe as you normally would.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We really want this to be a group effort, so we are hoping for everyone to participate.

1. Recipes must be something tried and true (TNT). This will be a collection of our personal favorites.

2. Hopefully, everyone will add at least 1 recipe to the collection. I hate to limit anyone's enthusiasm, but maybe 5 max per person until we get an idea of how many recipes we collect? It's easier to start off with a limit. That way if we don't have room for every recipe, I don't have to be responsible for cutting something out and hurting any feelings. If we have room, we can always ask for more. So start off by sending your 5 best!

3. Until the details of printing (either hard copy or on-line) are resolved, we can't be sure if we can use many pics. But it would sure be nice if we can! My software will accommodate pics beautifully, so feel free to send a pic of your dish if you wish. Just PLEASE don't feel bad if we can't use them in the end. For the sake of my email and storage, please only send one pic per dish - so make it a good one.

4. I have set up a gmail account to collect the recipes. Please forward all recipes & pics to: nctcookbook@gmail.com

5. It will help greatly if you send any pics as attachments, not in the body of the message.

Inserted from <http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16630>

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
The last time there was a call for recipes, I had just lost my hard drive! Since then, it's been replaced, and all of my backed up files restored, so I do have recipes AND pictures to go with them...I'm not sure what I submitted (from past posts on this board and others), but let us know what you are lacking (categories) and I can submit more.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have to run to the store and get ready for company. I'll count them up later tonight or in the morning and update everyone.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Hello all :) Just wondering the update on this?? Is it still in the works??
I am wondering this also. But SS has been busy at a new job so I am figuring she has her hands full with that at the moment. I have several recipes I would like to add but I have forgotten which I Have ALREADY submitted :blush:. I would like to submit my Beef Braciole Tutorial (it has more than one picture) and several others.

OT - DEE!! I have been missing you!! How are you, your little sweetie girls and your hubby? Please PM or visitor message me. XOXOXOXOXOX

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I do have everything in the book. However, I got stuck on the publishing end. Someone who claimed to have extensive background in having books published was going to help me there, but pooped out. If anyone knows anything about that end, please PM me so we can move this forward.

Also, if you want to submit any more recipes, feel free.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SS, please put together what you can, format it as you see best and get it to me. I'll take care of the publishing part. I'll give it my best shot. I have a good idea of what I'm getting into here. If you are using word please save it in 97-2000 format. I just removed Office 2007 from my laptop.