What's Cooking NCT Sunday June 22 - Saturday June 28, 2014?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Chicken and dumplings

I started this last night. We had a rotisserie chicken for dinner. I put the back, wing tips and bones in a pot with water and salt and simmered for an hour. Put stock and bones in fridge overnight. Today I added all the bones to the soup sock with 2 fresh bone in chicken breasts, celery, carrot and onion in soup sock and tied a knot in the end. Placed the soup sock in the pot with the stock I made last night and simmered it for and hour.

062214_soup_sock_chicken_1_P1090893.jpg

062214_soup_sock_chicken_2_P1090894.jpg

I added dry parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, ground pepper and chicken bouillon to the dumpling mix.

Chicken and dumplings served.

062214_chicken_dumplings_P1090897.jpg

This was the first time I have made this and the family said it was great.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Chicken and dumplings

I started this last night. We had a rotisserie chicken for dinner. I put the back, wing tips and bones in a pot with water and salt and simmered for an hour. Put stock and bones in fridge overnight. Today I added all the bones to the soup sock with 2 fresh bone in chicken breasts, celery, carrot and onion in soup sock and tied a knot in the end. Placed the soup sock in the pot with the stock I made last night and simmered it for and hour.

062214_soup_sock_chicken_1_P1090893.jpg

062214_soup_sock_chicken_2_P1090894.jpg

I added dry parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, ground pepper and chicken bouillon to the dumpling mix.

Chicken and dumplings served.

062214_chicken_dumplings_P1090897.jpg

This was the first time I have made this and the family said it was great.

WOW! That looks good.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
deli meat/cheeses w/ grainy mustards & fresh-cracked black pepper. i've crackers & crusty bread. that's lunch.

i've enough shellfish in my freezer that could soon be called a bouillabaisse. that is dinner fer me & extras get sent to my pal.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Nom on the chicken and dumplings, Peeps :readytoeat:.

I had a big fat turkey sandwich last night.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Had a bad stomach bug yesterday so I am still trying to ease into eating. Might just throw a box pizza in the oven. Back of my legs still hurt from 2 days of Amish auction which is probably where I got the bug.:bonk:

Embryodad

Had two fillet steaks on the grill.
Tina and her uncle ( here with us now ) had spaghetti and meat balls.
They didn't want steak.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Smoked ham hock has been in the slow cooker since this morning. I just added green beans and taters an hour ago. Sure smells great and it fell apart when I turned it over. Will be eating good in a little while!:clap::clap:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
DD took us to Carrabba's for dinner. They had pasta seconds special $13.00 (they bring a second helping of the pasta dishes for the table).

Hub got the:
Spaghetti Primavera with Wood-Grilled Chicken
Spaghetti tossed with wood-grilled chicken and a medley of fresh vegetables in our tomato cream sauce

I got the:
Linguine with Clams
Linguine tossed with clams, scallions and our white wine cream sauce

The girls both got the (not a special):
Shrimp Risotto
Sautéed shrimp and light tomato risotto.

All served with a cup of housemade soup or a side salad.

Was good. We brought home hubs seconds. The clams were scarfed down at the restaurant. LOL

Embryodad

DD took us to Carrabba's for dinner. They had pasta seconds special $13.00 (they bring a second helping of the pasta dishes for the table).

Hub got the:
Spaghetti Primavera with Wood-Grilled Chicken
Spaghetti tossed with wood-grilled chicken and a medley of fresh vegetables in our tomato cream sauce

I got the:
Linguine with Clams
Linguine tossed with clams, scallions and our white wine cream sauce

The girls both got the (not a special):
Shrimp Risotto
Sautéed shrimp and light tomato risotto.

All served with a cup of housemade soup or a side salad.

Was good. We brought home hubs seconds. The clams were scarfed down at the restaurant. LOL
Sounds like a super supper peeps.

Nice to sit and relax while someone else cooks...LOL

Embryodad

I'm gonna make fried peppers with melted provalone cheese sandwiches.
Maybe some shaved romano too.

We called them poor peasant sandwiches....

peep knows what they are...LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have no knead dough napping in a bowl. Will bake tomorrow to go with Cooksie's Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup, salad and also dipping oil for the bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My no knead bread is taking it's second nap. It looks like storms coming but weather has it will be 88F. Nice and cool in here now. bread won't be done for another 2+ hours hope it stays cool.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Bread is baking and smells wonderful!! It is 75F in the house and bread needs approx. 1/2 hr more.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have fresh turnip greens to cook for dinner.

I'm glad you are enjoying that soup, Peeps. It's one of my favorites.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have fresh turnip greens to cook for dinner.

I'm glad you are enjoying that soup, Peeps. It's one of my favorites.

YUM!! Bread is out of the oven. Soup will be made in a couple hours, Gotta let house cool down again.

I love turnip greens with diced turnips fried in smoked ham steak drippings served with the ham and mashed taters.

Embryodad

Just had double cheeseburger from macdonalds. tonight will be hot dogs, and sweet potato tots. ?? never had them ??? I will soon see.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I think we shall have some peas.

did the first flush pick today; another 2 gallons to shell....

Attachments

• DSC_2748s.jpg
    DSC_2748s.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 154

Guts

Fresh peas oh my God I could just about taste them just looking at the picture. What a treat I very rarely seen these in the store. I'm sure you will enjoy them they look delicious.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we have an ongoing debate about what is the best of the garden....
peas
fresh dug potatoes - especially 'new'
tomatoes
red beets
and curiously, green beans.

green beans 10-20 minutes off the plant, steamed, oh yeah - good stuff
I also do wax beans, but I'm the only wax bean freak in the house....

Leni

Fresh peas oh my God I could just about taste them just looking at the picture. What a treat I very rarely seen these in the store. I'm sure you will enjoy them they look delicious.

That is why my friend you have to have a veggie garden. It's not very hard. You have a house which means that you have someplace that can be dug up and turned into a garden. Have you looked into a community garden?

The reason why I keep my community garden is to grow yellow wax beans. My husband is the freak in this house. By the way, did you know that the best way to cook beets is to wrap them in foil like a potato and then bake them? The toughest biggest bad ass beet becomes fork tender. Add some fig balsamic vinegar, hazel nuts and feta cheese and you have a delicious side dish.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
me & my friend went to a place called 'lulu's noodles'. she got a noodle platter. i got pho, & we got rangoons, too. ummmmm. depends on food u get.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
YUM!! Bread is out of the oven. Soup will be made in a couple hours, Gotta let house cool down again.

I love turnip greens with diced turnips fried in smoked ham steak drippings served with the ham and mashed taters.

I love the greens but won't touch the turnips...just not a taste that I like.

Beautiful peas, Chowder!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Been away for awhile but haven't stopped cooking. Been on a weight loss program sine 5-30-14, and have dropped 23# so far. Go back tothe doc Monday so they can evaluate my progress. Diagnosed pre-diabetic, so thta was my wake-up call.

The wife had a wedding rehearsal tonite (she's the wedding coordinator for the church she works at), and her helper brought pizza for them before the rehearsal. So I pulled out a couple of corn tortillas and toasted them on the gas range, and sauteed some sweet onion, green& yellow peppers in EVOO, then tossed in 3-1/2oz. of shrimp. really made for tasty wraps. also had leftover Spanish rice (3oz.) to top it off. Dinner was only 282 calories, so I'm thinking a trip to the ice cream joint to split a small hot fudge sundae with Mama is likely.

Made Pasta Primavera a couple nights ago with homemade whole wheat linguini.

Monday was crock pot chicken, which we ate for a couple of days.

Embryodad

Been away for awhile but haven't stopped cooking. Been on a weight loss program sine 5-30-14, and have dropped 23# so far. Go back tothe doc Monday so they can evaluate my progress. Diagnosed pre-diabetic, so thta was my wake-up call.

The wife had a wedding rehearsal tonite (she's the wedding coordinator for the church she works at), and her helper brought pizza for them before the rehearsal. So I pulled out a couple of corn tortillas and toasted them on the gas range, and sauteed some sweet onion, green& yellow peppers in EVOO, then tossed in 3-1/2oz. of shrimp. really made for tasty wraps. also had leftover Spanish rice (3oz.) to top it off. Dinner was only 282 calories, so I'm thinking a trip to the ice cream joint to split a small hot fudge sundae with Mama is likely.

All looks good Joe.
great on your weight loss. I'm trying, but have a wife that buys too much food, and then I junk feed on it.
I was diagnosed borderline diabetic, and told to watch my carbs.

I've been like that for about 12 years now. I guess I learn my lesson that I should have taken heed sooner, and not after this recent mini stroke bull crap. At least the B/P is reasonable now. Gotta lose weight to get it down further.

Tonight, I had a nice hot sausage and peppers and onions on a hoagie roll, and ate the rest with no bread. :laugh:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Good for you, JoeV. 23 lbs in less than a month is impressive.

I'm thinking about a big spinach salad for tonight, complete with real bacon, egg slices, radishes, red onion.....