Boston Baked Beans

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I missed making these last winter, so I wanted to make sure I got them in this year.

Lee

Boston Baked Beans

1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
chunk of salt pork, large diced, about 1 inch
1 large onion, large diced

Place dry beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and soak beans overnight.

Drain and rinse. Cover again with water, and simmer gently on top of the stove till tender, about a half hour. Drain again. Put in beans in beanpot (or Dutch oven) with the diced onions and salt pork.

Mix the brown sugar, dry mustard, and molasses with two cups of water. Pour over the beans and mix in. Cover the pot and bake at 300* for about 5 hours, adding water if necessary. Stir every hour.

You can do this in a crock pot, too, for about 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high (crockpots vary, so check your manual).

Serve with hot dogs or knockwurst, and toasted brown bread. Or along side hot dogs in buns. Or with fish cakes.

These beans are thick and rich. They freeze very well.

Attachments

• Baked bean pot.JPG
    Baked bean pot.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 384
  • Baked beans.JPG
    Baked beans.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks qsis. copied pasted.

i'll definitely be making these soon, if i can find molases. never bought it before.

and yeah, er ah, nice pawt. (did i sound boston-ish? :))

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, guys. First time anyone has ever complimented me on my "pawt" (yes, that IS the correction pronounciation, BT).

Gotta love a cooking forum! LOL!

Lee

P.S. Molasses is in the baking aisle, Tom.

buckytom

Grill Master
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hawwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

:beatdeadhorse5:

(sorry, it's the closest thing to a cowboy smiley thay i could find)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dark molasses, simplicity.

BT and Mav, slicing hot dogs into these beans is acceptable (marginally), but under NO circumstances may you add any sort of chili peppers, chili powder or hot sauce.

It's just not done, my good men.

Lee

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just put a batch of these in the oven and will let them bake away for the next 5 hours, while I wrap presents and shovel snow.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What if you dont ave one of those PAWTS?? :) What would you use?

Dee, you can use a Dutch Oven or any large covered casserole dish in the oven.

They are good in a crockpot, too!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How cool, Lefty - I would love to taste those beans!

I can't see where that fair is held. Is it in the town of Thorndike?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee you motivated me to try them from scratch. Question though, are they good the next day cold right from the refrigerator?

Delicious, if you don't mind clumpy.

It's all the pork fat in there, dontchaknow? :brows:

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I might try making these first them take them to the next level of JACK'S Peach BBQ Beans which I've posted here before. I always used Bush's or B&M Baked beans in the past but this builds on those and these sound great too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

I made a batch of these today, and went to see if I've already posted them. I had, but I'd deleted the photos from Imageshack so they disapeared from my post.

I posted the photos I took today.

Man, these are good!

Note: I used light brown sugar today and won't do that again. I prefer the dark brown color. But it's all what you are used to.

Lee

I missed making these last winter, so I wanted to make sure I got them in this year.

Lee

Boston Baked Beans

1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
chunk of salt pork, large diced, about 1 inch
1 large onion, large diced

Place dry beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and soak beans overnight.

Drain and rinse. Cover again with water, and simmer gently on top of the stove till tender, about a half hour. Drain again. Put in beans in beanpot (or Dutch oven) with the diced onions and salt pork.

Mix the brown sugar, dry mustard, and molasses with two cups of water. Pour over the beans and mix in. Cover the pot and bake at 300* for about 5 hours, adding water if necessary. Stir every hour.

You can do this in a crock pot, too, for about 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high (crockpots vary, so check your manual).

Serve with hot dogs or knockwurst, and toasted brown bread. Or along side hot dogs in buns. Or with fish cakes.

These beans are thick and rich. They freeze very well.
About those wonderful baked beans that Ian and I made last night - you're really absolutely spot on as to which way we'll prefer to make them the next time. Because we were going to be in and out last night, and got a kind of late start getting them brewing, we decided to do them in the crock pot. Began at 5pm and they were finally done with their 8 hours en-pawt at 1am this morning. That's way too long to wait, believe me....but certainly well worth the wait. One thing we noticed right off was that our beans didn't appear to be as thick and creamy as yours looked in your photos of them. But the taste was incredible! Ian got carried away and wanted to add maple sugar - which he did, and a skosh of maple syrup (I tried to make the man understand that 2/3 of the bottle of maple syrup is NOT a small tad but he got the message when they were not completely cooked down the way he wanted them to be initially. He had some for breakfast this morning (still kind of warm from earlier) and I had a small cup with my poached egg and they were oh, so good! Incidently, I wouldn't let Ian desecrate them with ketchup (he honestly believes that ketchup is a vegetable!) so he sulked a bit about that but I didn't think he'd miss it once he got into the bowl of beans. They stand on their own beautifully. And as many bowls as he put away this morning, I'm sure he was just a real joy to be around at work today. I may have to consign him to the couch tonight before he scares the animals away and gone out of the bedroom.............:whistling:

Fallon

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And as many bowls as he put away this morning, I'm sure he was just a real joy to be around at work today.

:yum: :yum: :yum: too funny Fallon. I love my beans to ....and pay the price when I overdue. :yum: :yum: So ...I can relate. :biggrin:

Hi, again, Lee...Jus as an add-on, among my husband's somewhat bizzarre food preferences...for exaample, ketchup on simply everything he eats, not just appropriate things like a hot dog or burger. He puts it on beautiful cuts of meat and on our honeymood he almost got to walk home becaue we 'd stopped at a very posh hotel for our midday meal and we ordered prime rib. When the waitress brought our food, bless Ian, he asked for ketchip for his. I wanted to just crawl beneath a lettuce leaf! I did, incidently, threaten his life and have, on several more occasions since we got married, done the same when he's tried to put ketchup on really nice meals I've cooked for him. As well, he just loves peanut butter on waffles and tuna salad made with a little tidge of banana mixed in for good measure. This is the world's very first pregnant man!

Fallon

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hi, again, Lee...Jus as an add-on, among my husband's somewhat bizzarre food preferences...for exaample, ketchup on simply everything he eats, not just appropriate things like a hot dog or burger. He puts it on beautiful cuts of meat and on our honeymood he almost got to walk home becaue we 'd stopped at a very posh hotel for our midday meal and we ordered prime rib. When the waitress brought our food, bless Ian, he asked for ketchip for his. I wanted to just crawl beneath a lettuce leaf! I did, incidently, threaten his life and have, on several more occasions since we got married, done the same when he's tried to put ketchup on really nice meals I've cooked for him. As well, he just loves peanut butter on waffles and tuna salad made with a little tidge of banana mixed in for good measure. This is the world's very first pregnant man!

Fallon

Now that is really a funny line and can relate to people strange tastes in food combinations. :yum::yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fallon, I'm delighted that you and Ian loved the beans! Thanks for the report!

I do put ketchup on my beans, no maple syrup.

I never heard of anyone putting ketchup on steak until I roomed with two Jewish girls in college - they were both ketchup-on-steak people. I was horrified, but so much of what you love to eat is based on what you were raised on.

Lee

That's very true, Lee, about people very often reverting to eating things they grew up with. I've always loved grits, for example, which my husband refers to as "wet sand" and I can sit at table and watch Ian's nose go up by 45 degrees any time I dig into a bowl. But is there anything in this world better than a lovely bowl of hot grits with butter (tons) and salt and pepper? Talk about comfort food. If you simply have to get up early in the morning, you really may as well have something besides work and feeding your family to look forward to! With that said, I didn't win the lottery last night so I'm off to work just as soon as I put some face on things to look semi-presentable. :yuk:

Fallon

LADawg

When my wife and I got married some 55 or so years ago, my mother gave me a little cookbook that the business women in Ripley, MS had, had printed. In that little cookbook was a recipe for Baked Beans. I have cooked this several times and they always come out GREAT.

REAL BAKED BEANS
2 Cups (One Pound) Dried Navy Beans
4 to 6 Slices Bacon (Cut each slice into 4 or 5 pieces)
3 Tablespoons Catsup
3 Tablespoons Molasses
1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Boiling Water
Wash and cover Beans with cold water. Let them soak overnight in the refrigerator. Drain and pour Beans into a 3 quart sauce pan. Cover with Water (do not add Salt at this time) and cook slowly for about 30 minutes or until their skins start to burst. Drain and place half of the Beans in a deep casserole dish. Add half of the Bacon and bury it in the beans. Add 1 Tablespoons Catsup, 1 Tablespoon Molasses, 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard, 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, and 1/2 Teaspoon Salt. Add the other half of the Beans, and other ingredients, but his time Do Not the bury the Bacon, just lay it on top of the Beans. Add just enough boiling water to cover the beans. You may not need the whole a whole cup. Cover and cook in a 225° oven for 6 to 8 hours.
Notes: 1. It may be necessary to add a little more boiling water if the beans become too dry during the late stages of cooking.
2. The recipe can also be cooked in a crock pot. It should be cooked on the low setting for 7 or 8 hours.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just saw LADawg's recipe - almost the same as mine.

I made a pot of these this past weekend and had to pour off about a 1/4 cup of rendered pork fat! Guess I used too large of a chunk of salt pork.

In the freezer until my Dad comes to visit in a week. We always love a hot dog and beans dinner on a Saturday night,

Lee

Attachments

• Baked beans, raw.JPG
    Baked beans, raw.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Baked beans 2.JPG
    Baked beans 2.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 215

Johnny West

That looks wonderful. I've not made baked beans in years since I started making my aunt's multi bean recipe. I used to use smoked ham hock or a ham bone with smoked skin. I'll have to keep an eye out for salted pork.