Avast me hearties - new kitchen coming together

waybomb

Ahoy ye lubbers, the wench be a conivin' one, she be. First she be sayin the fridge is goin down, so we be needin a new un. She sails over to the Whirlpool outlet store in BH, and she pirates a fridge. Stainless. And a two drawer dishwasher. And me be the installer. And then me be havin ta add another layer of cabinets on top of the ol ones. The galley be gettin a upgrade.

Shiver me timbers, today the coniving wench picks up an all stainless Jenn-Air gas / electric drop-in. Microwave on order. She be needin to scrape the barnackles off me rudder if she be keepin this up.

We be havin an all electric Kitchen Aid now. Me be needin to run gas. Closest gas is a 1" line, plumbed in close to the floor next to a joist. This ain't gonna be fun. If me had a plank handy, she'd be walkin it! She belongs with the bilge rats.

Arggghhh

Next be the blue pearl granite counter top, me be certain.

ps - Talk Like a Pirate Day is soon approaching - 114 days to go. Gotta practice.......

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm sure the wench will be showing her gratitude after all this work, Waybomb! But really, I think we need pictures. (Not of the gratitude - of the new galley!)

waybomb

I'll post some pix when it is all done.

Right now, I have a SS fridge, a SS dishwasher, a white stove, a white micro, and a funny color counter top.

But here's some pics I pulled off the net of what I gotta work with.

Attachments

• 13658.jpg
    13658.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 18985.jpg
    18985.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 1824.jpg
    1824.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 149
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 152

waybomb

The Micro hood finally arrived and I put it in last weekend while it was raining outside. Then I enjoyed the holiday.

This weekend the stove gets put in. The current Kitchenaid is a two piece drop in type electric. The new one is free standing dual fuel (gas cooktop, electric oven induction oven) as you can see in the pic. I have to take the old unit out, move the electric, run the gas (using CSST to get up into the wall), cut the counter top (it will not look all that great until we get the new countertop - oh, and we have to do ALL the countertops in the place - two bathrooms, the kitchen, and the wet bar), then slide this 460 pound oven into place. Yes, it is crazy heavy.

When we went to get the microwave, we noticed the Kitchenaid 24" wide wine cooler and the 18" wide ice maker. Those will replace the existing 18" wide off brand wine cooler (which will be moved to the basement) and a 18" drawer cabinet base that's built into the wall under the steps next to the kitchen. Notice, the two don;t add up in width. That's what sawzalls are for. Fortunately the water supply and a sink drain runs close by, so I can tap into the water supply and DWV pipe easily.

The place we'll get the countertop from will water jet out a martini glass in the bar top, and put a lighter colored granite in the hole. The guy had an example at his shop. Nice touch.

A little at a time, and keeping the kitchen completely useful while I'm doing it. The woman needs to feed me, ya know!

So, here's a breakdown of list price (about) and what we paid:

Fridge - $7500, $1400
Dishwasher - $1500, $450
Micro - $850, $377
Stove - $4800, $2025
Wine Cooler - $1650 - $350
Ice Maker - $2200 - $300
Outdoor Grill - $4700, $500

Total List = $22,200
Our cost = $5,400
Savings = about $17,000

It's good to have Whirlpool world headquarters close by......

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Wow!! That is wonderful!!! You saved a bundle and you got some fabulous appliances. (Maybe I need to take a drive up there to Whirlpool HQ.) So tell me - is the ice maker a stand alone or is it in the fridge? Can you post a model #? I'm really, really envying your ice maker.

waybomb

You have to be patient. They don't always have matching stuff. So you kinda have to get to know the folks there so they tell you when the right stuff comes in. Sometimes they have one thing you want, sometimes none. Just depends on what they get in.

We wanted all the current Designer II stuff. We liked the Kitchenaid all stainless dual fuel stove they had there, but the JennAir we bought is awesome. So we git the matching Jennair Microwave/hood

All of it comes with full as-new warrantee. Most of it is demo stuff, but some is brand new never sold. It all looks brand new. They say scratch and dent, but there is none on any of it. The stove, wine cooler, and dishwasher appeared to be brand new. The fridge never ha anything in it, so we are guessing a emo. The ice make was used by a Whirlpool exec for a while is what we were told, but it is as new.

Anyway, here's the link to the stand alone ice maker: http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KUIC18PNTS/

And the wine cooler:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KUWS24LSBS/

These will be side-by-side under our steps next to the kitchen, around the corner from the bar.