3/4 pound Sweet Italian sausages -- casings removed
1 cup Onion -- chopped
1 1/4 cup light cream or half & half
3/4 cup Canned low-salt chicken broth
1 pound Penne
2 cups Frozen peas
2/3 cup Mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan -- freshly grated

Saute sausages in Dutch oven over high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 12 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion and saute until light brown, about 6 minutes. Add cream; boil 5 minutes.

Add broth; boil until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Return sausage to pot.

Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until pasta is just tender but still firm to bite.

Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer over medium heat. Add peas and mascarpone and simmer until peas are tender, about 6 minutes.

Drain pasta. Add to sauce; toss to coat. Mix in Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer to large bowl; serve.

High Cheese

Saucier
No pic, you might find one browsing, I had this emailed to me years ago. Tastes great, is a meal in itself for sure.

chowhound

Well here's how things looked in my pot.

I've got the sausage cooking in my Dutch oven. I don't know what they do to their sausage at the local store in town here, but it's packed with flavor no matter what flavor you buy.

Sausage reserved, most of the juice removed, onions added.

Half & half added, boiled a while, stock added, boiled a while.

Sausage added back in, which completely sucked up the sauce. That had me worried until I ate a bite later on.

Mascarpone cheese added along with peas.

And incorporated.

Penne pasta added along with Parm Regg. It's amazing to me how much a particular shaped pasta can add to a dish. When I saw what penne looked like at the store, I figured what the hell, I have rigs at home... I'm glad I decided to get the penne. It was perfect for such a thick dish. Rigatoni would have need more of a "liquidy" sauce IMO.

And plated along with Jeek's other addition to the forum, grilled romaine.
An awesome dinner all around. This dish has a fantastic flavor that isn't overpowering in any one area.

Attachments

• Jeek's sausage dish1.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Jeek's sausage dish2.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Jeek's sausage dish3.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Jeek's sausage dish4.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish4.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Jeek's sausage dish5.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish5.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Jeek's sausage dish6.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish6.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Jeek's sausage dish7.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish7.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Jeek's sausage dish8.jpg
    Jeek's sausage dish8.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 139

chowhound

Thanks Barb. I'm not sure if it came out like Jeek's makes it, but it worked for me. It's like a goulash dish.

chowhound

You're asking me?! Hell, I don't know. lol
First time I ever had it. I tasted it with my finger when I opened the container. I liked the taste. Everything here in Jay's proportions blended well. Me, I didn't think there were enough onions, but I didn't add more. I thought it could have had more sauce, but I didn't add more liquid. It's hard to describe. At first the sausage hit me, but then the cheese (or cheeses) mellowed things out. I wouldn't call it sweet tasting though. There was defintely some spice to the dish with the hot Italian sausage, but the dish on the whole just has a good flavor to it. Sorry I can't describe what I tasted better, but I highly recommend it.

homecook

Well I guess I'll have to give it a try. I've never had mascarpone either. lol
Dh won't eat peas maybe I could put in green beans?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Fred, you did a beautiful job on your Romaine!

My attempt was overdone - charred and limp. I like the concept, though, so I'll try it again!

Lee

chowhound

Thanks, Lee! I meant to post something in the romaine thread... but I'll just say it here.
I didn't buy a large romaine, I bought a 3-pack of hearts because I thought I could finish two halves by myself if it was just the heart. And the leaves were tighter of course. While I love cooked spinach, I don't like leafy lettuce in my salads. The grilled romaine surprised me. It cooled very quickly and it was just like eating a salad with a great flavor to it. The other half had a little more char to it, but still tasted great. These are going in my "things I like to grill" list.

High Cheese

Saucier
At first the sausage hit me, but then the cheese (or cheeses) mellowed things out. I wouldn't call it sweet tasting though. There was defintely some spice to the dish with the hot Italian sausage, but the dish on the whole just has a good flavor to it.

Exactly.

The mascarpone adds creamyness to the dish as well as plays a thickener.

You could have added more onion, but it didn't break the dish. If you don't like it spicy just use all sweet sausage or 70/30.

I buy my sausage from the supermarket, those 6 link packages. I forget the brand but they are VERY good. I bought sausage from a butcher once since everyone raved about it, but I thought it was too mealy with no flavor. Could have just been that butcher, but my thinking on buying sausage (for me) is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Looks great, I need to make this again. :thumb:

High Cheese

Saucier
Well I guess I'll have to give it a try. I've never had mascarpone either. lol
Dh won't eat peas maybe I could put in green beans?

You could try some al dente haricot vert cut into 1 inch pieces, but I would press him on the peas just this once.

chowhound

The peas in this dish don't overwhelm the flavor like adding them to chicken and biscuits (for example). I didn't even notice them much. I'd stick with the peas, too.
And my house smells like sausage this morning. It smells wonderful.