Mascarpone Cheese...

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Last night I bought some Mascarpone cheese at the store. I watched Giada using it (yes I actually watched the food :wink:), and thought it looked good.

Does anybody have a good recipe using Mascarpone cheese?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mascarpone is kind of a sweet cheese and works good with almost any fruit dish and perhaps a salad also. I haven't had it in a long time but my grandmother used to use it in her cheese cake as part of the cheese blend.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Yeah, I was thinking of getting some strawberries, mixing them in the cheese, and filling up some filo cups with the mixture. Something simple...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is great with fruits even a fruit cocktail as a topping or mixed as a sauce. I think if one wanted too they could use it in place of whipped cream.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

Attachments

• blueberry_mascarpone_tart_1.jpg
    blueberry_mascarpone_tart_1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 141

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
A favourite here on the weekend is grilled strawberry and mascarpone cheese sandwiches.

Get the best bread you can find, a ciabatta is nice, but so is something with a chocolate swirl..

Spread the center with mascarpone and freshly sliced strawberries.

Grill in melted butter, both sides, till golden. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar when you flip it, and again on the other side when you remove it from the grill.

You can also stuff dates with it, then wrap in bacon, and grill.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You realize, of course......that I have to make this for dessert on Saturday night, don't you..?

well i was hoping someone was going to make it b4 i did..lol

mascarpone cheese is realllllllllllllllly expensive here so i needed a guinee pig first..lmao:clap:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I have a feeling I'll be adding lemon zest to the filling....but it's a done deal otherwise. I have half a container of mascarpone left from last week's tiramisu.

High Cheese

Saucier
Penne, Sausage, Peas & Mascarpone

3/4 pound Hot Italian sausages -- casings removed
3/4 pound Sweet Italian sausages -- casings removed
1 cup Onion -- chopped
1 1/4 cup light cream or half & half
3/4 cup Canned low-salt chicken broth
1 pound Penne
2 cups Frozen peas
2/3 cup Mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan -- freshly grated

Saute sausages in Dutch oven over high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 12 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion and saute until light brown, about 6 minutes. Add cream; boil 5 minutes.

Add broth; boil until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Return sausage to pot.

Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until pasta is just tender but still firm to bite.

Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer over medium heat. Add peas and mascarpone and simmer until peas are tender, about 6 minutes.

Drain pasta. Add to sauce; toss to coat. Mix in Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer to large bowl; serve.

The original recipe calls for heavy cream but I found it way too rich and heavy so I substitute for light cream. Also, watch the containers of Mascarpone, some are coffee flavored.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I had about 8 oz of mascarpone in the fridge from last week. While I was shopping today I bought another 16 oz. Thinking more and more about that dessert, I don't think I have enough. I do now.....but I didn't, clearly:wink:

I also bought raspberries. Some will have raspberry, some will have blueberries.

I want one now.

As I reread the recipe once more...I think I have to make another change. Mascarpone is heavy; heavier than cream cheese and ricotta. I think I'm going to have to blend it with eggs and sugar; then bake it for a while. Have to do it.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Do you think it can be mixed with some heavy cream to thin it out a little?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Do you think it can be mixed with some heavy cream to thin it out a little?
Clearly, that would be a solution, but I don't know that it will lighten it, just thin it, if you get my meaning.

I am looking forward to my experiment:bounce: