What's Cooking NCT Sun 7/20 to Sat 7/26/2014?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've got some mussels in the freezer :brows:, sounds good.

I had an interesting dinner last night. The power went out just about the time I was getting ready to go get dinner going. I waited around for about an hour but no go.

I had stale Tia Rosa Megathin Tortilla Chips, which I love when they're fresh, and some Herdez salsa verde. After a couple of bites, my mouth was on fire, and I just couldn't eat any more. That stuff is hot. So I had a carrot cake muffin with a sliver of cream cheese and did a little reading with the flashlight propped up on my shoulder :sad: .

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Depending on how late the wife gets back from vacation today I may just grill some hot dogs. No idea yet for a side but may pick some peas in the garden.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
DW is tired of all the gourmet food (giggle - like fer sure!(g)) so we into tacos for tonight.

the crisp ones. so I spies "Taco Holders" - I could go with that - it can be a bit messy.... so I peer closer.

plastic, four pieces in the pack, little thin pc of U-shaped plastic. $3.99+tax - a dollar a pop. hmmmm. not even I be that stupid!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm thinking it's a good evening to go get soup & salad at the local diner.

Embryodad

It was 74º, and breezy and cool today.

Tina made a blueberry pie. I had an egg ham and cheese for brunch, and the pie was super. Good!

Then I was still hungry. Low and behold, DD was down at Seaside Park, NJ today, and she brought me 4 slices of a 24" boardwalk pizza.:eating2:
I ate two slices, and I'm full now!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I ended up buying 2 slices of pepperoni pizza last night. Tonight we are having crabcakes and some of the eastern shore cantaloupe and watermelon the girls brought back from their vacation. I ate some of the cantaloupe so she could get the lid on the container. It is wonderful and she said the melon is also. Will make a salad of some sort since we have a bunch of buttercrunch and she brought 2 tomatoes as well.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Last night we had pan fried bone in pork chops, pan gravy, mashed taters and steamed baby spinach.

Tonight mixed green salad with black olives, vine tomato and tuna dressed with a combo of Ken's Greek and Ceaser salad dressings (I like a splash of each) with mac and cheese on the side.

Embryodad

Tonight for supper, we had beef stew that I made in the crock pot (slow cooker)

It was great tasting. Finished the boo berry pie for dessert.
Thank God it's all gone.

Have no clue whats for tomorrow... Tomorrow is Grass Cutting / trimming day.
Maybe I will bread and fry some chicken breast thins for Tina and her Uncle.
I could have Cod Fish cooked in a butter and tomato and green onion sauce.
Yellow rice sounds good, and the wife and unc could have that too.
Baked sweet potato with butter and salt would be ok too. Even with the rice.

I'm sick of corn already.....

Oh! Jeepers....I forgot, Mia brought over 5 eggplants that she got from another farm friend. I guess I will be slicing and breading that too. Ummm! Scratch that fish! I'd rather the egg plant.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
there is another local gathering. i was there fer a few seconds. food is on, booze is on tap. on my way again. soon. i gave my promise to soon return there, & promises i must keep.
there's simply nowhere to breathe in there, so rather than be smushed by some ppl i have yet to have seen in my daze here, i'd rather wait until there is room enough fer myself to secure a place to put my draft & relax. okay. 30 minutes have passed. 20 others may well have flooded in (was pouring rain a few ago)- tho i'll brave on. have i put forth enough sarcasm yet-- that is rhetorical. i have. bye, while i get smushed/smashed & drink way too many again before i drink a few others.
then onto making a late-night dinner (if you're me, u use a screwdriver & a meat mallet to open a can of peas. then u notice it's pop-top lid. & that they're not a can of peas. them're pears in lite syrup. meh.)

btw- autocorrect- i'm not liking u

Moxie

I also made beef stew tonight - in the pressure cooker. We declared it to be the best stew we ever had! Both the flavors and texture were perfect.

I'm usually not a fan of stew, but this really worked,

Embryodad

Today, for some reason, was a Ho- Hum Day!

Breakfast for me was (0)

Lunch was ......(0)

Supper was heavy Spaghetti ( linguini ) with Jarred Alfredo sauce that was way too thick. Like pudding, and smelled like sour baby spit-up!
I know it's a cheese sauce, but the enzymes must have been turning it sour.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had kind of a fa-la-la moment in the kitchen last night. I cooked some linguine, drained it and set it to the side, added some fresh spinach to the skillet with a little butter and gave it a quick saute, dumped that over the linguine, and made a pan sauce of chicken broth, lemon juice, and cornstarch. I topped it all off with chicken breasts done on the George Foreman. Was pretty darn good!

Embryodad

I had kind of a fa-la-la moment in the kitchen last night. I cooked some linguine, drained it and set it to the side, added some fresh spinach to the skillet with a little butter and gave it a quick saute, dumped that over the linguine, and made a pan sauce of chicken broth, lemon juice, and cornstarch. I topped it all off with chicken breasts done on the George Foreman. Was pretty darn good!
Sounds good cooksie...

I call suppers like that quickly hammered together goodness!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I hate it when that happens.

you go raid the fridge, make something hot, toss on something else, shake rattle and pepper . . . .

then comes the "this is great - you have to remember this recipe!"
oops.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i got a strip steak & already made a pot of smushed potato w/ add-ins. there's veggies- broccoli w/ a beurre noisette seems yummy.
then again, i bought scads of deli meats & items via cheesemongers, & got bread to make pressed sammiches.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
...make pressed sangwitches . . .
as my grandmother would say, it's apparently a Cleveland thang....

but anyway - the cold pressed method is easy enough to fake with bricks, etc.

but.... anyone have a panini press for the hot&toasty types?
and what's your opinion about it? (as if I really needed another gadget....)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
haha; in re-reading ur post--

my 100%-western-PA Pap called 'em 'sangwiches'. he used to make his to put in his lunch & a few alpo ones fer these underfed nearby dogs.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a very potent pudding shot-- (last night)~

jell-o shots, too. & food. ummmm.

Attachments

• puddingshot.jpg
    puddingshot.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 73

Moxie

but.... anyone have a panini press for the hot&toasty types?
and what's your opinion about it? (as if I really needed another gadget....)

I have a Cuisinart - I DO NOT LIKE IT!

I have much better results pressing my paninis on the George Foreman.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
here is how i see stuff--
if item is quite insufficient
-call corporate
-get reimbursed

buy a new item.

Embryodad

DD had a panini press and it broke the handle. I bought her a new one, and I fixed and kep the old one. The thing makes awesome sanwichis . We jus pile on the cole cuts (chipped ham & cheese my favorite) between bread, and a few brews, and heaven happens. (*burp)

DD's has a spout and a drip bucket so you could fry burgers and stuff between.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have a Cuisinart - I DO NOT LIKE IT!

I have much better results pressing my paninis on the George Foreman.

Ha! I was just thinking about making grilled sandwiches on my GF when I was doing the chicken the other night. I shall try this shortly.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'll have to keep an eyeball out for something - not a Cuisinart tho (g)

the ones I've used as 'chef in assistance' were "pro styles" - fairly large plattens and latches to squish&hold....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
2 cast iron skillets suffice. weighted properly.
got my sammich press fer $0.0. except fer tickets i got fer 4/$1. luv festivals. they make summer okay-ish.

tonite i shifted to pasta, or a tuna salad, w/ a container of grapefruit & a vanilla milk.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Ha! I was just thinking about making grilled sandwiches on my GF when I was doing the chicken the other night. I shall try this shortly.

Did it last night and it works great - made a turkey and provolone