Well, the flagstone wall is done...

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The first of the spring projects is done. The flagstone wall has been completed! Still plenty of stuff to do yet!

Attachments

• DSCF3314.jpg
    DSCF3314.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF3315.jpg
    DSCF3315.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF3316.jpg
    DSCF3316.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 194

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thanks! Still have the top part of the walkway to re-do, and everything between the walks and the wall is being removed and replaced with purple flowered ground cover... this way the wall doesn't get 'covered' by the plants and lost to view.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a young blond girl that does our landscaping here and she does great work. Needless to say when she is working all the old leches are hanging around including me, especially when she wares her thong to work in or invites some of her girlfriends over to help. :brows:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nice Job Mav! That looks really good. Did you do the walk too?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yup, three times now! LOL! I am never happy with them but they are getting there! Then I need new lighting, have to re-do my side garden, just finished the small rectangular beds on the side of the house and have to plant them, move the Clematis under the trellis, and then re-do the front parkway....
Oh and and there is some trim repainting to do plus the little 'garden fencing' has to be painted from black to almond to match the trim...
Then there is the entire back yard...:glare:

Calicolady

Beautiful Mav. Looks very level. And the soil looks like good, fryable stuff. Is it composted soil?
(Hope you weren't giving your neighbors the butt crack show! LOL!)

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The soil was bad when we moved in 10 years ago. We took out all the bushes and grass and covered it all with prairie plants native to the area. Now that they have turned the soil rich and black, we are cutting back on them and going to smaller prairie plants as well as some more traditional European plants that people are used to seeing.
The garden will still maintain a 75% prairie plant ratio with only about 25% being traditional plants. This will make it sustainable in that it never needs to be replanted, re-mulched, watered, or have any compost added to it.
It just tends itself and you just prune back on occasion!

Calicolady

I agree. Native horticulture is best and lowest maintenance.
Introduction of exotics never seems to work out. Either it takes over, or it's high maintenance, draining nutrients or requires excessive water/fertilizer etc. I see it here all the time. A losing battle for A season of pride.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are a couple shots of my backyard. The fountain is a whiskey barrel cut in half with a liner and a pitcher pump I put together a couple of years ago. It will be back up next week.

Attachments

• Backyard.jpg
    Backyard.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Fountain1.jpg
    Fountain1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 241

PanchoHambre

Nice job Mav... you have me lapped I got two stinking vines planted last weekend

Hope to be back at it if the weather is nice this weekend

Love the wall.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Love the water feature Joe! DW and I did a couple of those for clients the year before last, they can add a lot to your area!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I love the sound of running water, but like most it makes me want to pee. :mellow: Oh and the other half of the barrel is in the front yard used as a planter.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
They are fairly easy to build and not real expensive. The pitcher pump is about $30 same as the half barrel and liner. A simple fountain pump about 30 gal. per hour rating can run under that with some clear tubing and a couple of fittings you can have one for about $100. Fill it and let it run and fill it as the water evaporates.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Great looking yards. I will try to get some pix up of ours. Three years ago, DW and I went for hanging planters and came back with stuff for a fish pond. We have a 3 X 5 pond that goes from 1 1/2 feet deep to 3 1/2 feet deep. We also have a falls that spills nto the pond and some fish in the pond.

Mav - Love the walk, DW is asking for a better pix of it, if possible.

JoeC - Great yard.

Andy

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good work Mav. Love the rock. Can't let DW see this thread, she's been wanting something much like whatyou did. Like others said, with work and fun here where do you get the time? :D

Joe, very nice work. I have a broken hot tub sitting around that I'm looking for the inspiration to make into a pond or something. Last weekend I put a toothbar on my tractor so it's ready for some major digging projects. :D I'm sure glad the weather is getting better where we can do our outside projects. :thumb:

PanchoHambre

projects. I'm sure glad the weather is getting better where we can do our outside projects. :thumb:

Agreed... I am tired of this teaser weather though... last year I jumped the gun and spent a month bringing plants in and out and stunted a bunch.... trying not to repeat this year but every time it warms up I want to get started.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Great looking yards. I will try to get some pix up of ours. Three years ago, DW and I went for hanging planters and came back with stuff for a fish pond. We have a 3 X 5 pond that goes from 1 1/2 feet deep to 3 1/2 feet deep. We also have a falls that spills nto the pond and some fish in the pond.

Mav - Love the walk, DW is asking for a better pix of it, if possible.

JoeC - Great yard.

Andy

Tomorrow I am re-working the top part of the walk, near the wall. I just installed the lighting tonight, then tried to put up the new light fixture over the door but it didn't fit. And then spent several hours trying to painstakingly put the lamp posts 'socket' back together in hopes of getting it to work.. I don't think it will though which means another $100 to $150 for a new one....
Anyway, tomorrow DW is removing everything from between the wall to the flagstone path and then I will re-lay that part of the flagstone path. We are thinking instead of ground cover there we will put in a strawberry patch. If it takes, great, if not she has plenty of ground cover around to fix it!
You can have a picture after I get that done, LOL! (the path part of it anyway... so maybe a day or two).

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Here is a pic from '06 of the path and wall. As you can see the wall just curved around which was not a good shape for it. Then, the garden behind the wall and the garden in front of the wall blended together, and the wall gets lost.
As for the path, you can see the far side she has let plants creep into the path and disrupt it. I am fixing that. The top part near the wall doesn't look quite right anymore, and has 'drifted apart' some as well as get overgrown with ground cover. I am fixing all that as well.
It will be neat to compare before and after pics!

Attachments

• DSCF0340.jpg
    DSCF0340.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 140

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
At the time, most neighbors did like it. The town and our meanie neighbor, however, hated it. Took a lot of flack and some court dates but we won out.
Funny thing is the meanie neighbor love his lawn and was always telling us with kids we were supposed to have kept plenty of lawn for them to play on. I asked him if his grand kids were allowed on his lawn.. nope. He also apparently doesn't know which type of grass he has. It is Kentucky Bluegrass. Green in spring, brown and dormant in summer, green in fall. He spends all summer shallow watering it to death to try and get it to come out of it's dormant stage and turn green.
Plus he has grubs, his roots go down about an inch. We checked, LOL!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well the new administration here just put in a huge prairie garden and park in what was once a parking lot just down the street.

They claim they took inspiration from Chicago for their prairie installations on medians and our garden!