...okay, now I need a transport case...

The Tourist

Banned
As you can guess, I usually find the silverware at restaurants to be substandard. I'm the kind of guy who needs to have the tines on a fork evenly spaced and straight.

Yikes, you can imagine how I feel about steak knives!

Well, after years of searching for a nice looking knife, that more resembles tableware than a shiv, I am now faced with another problem.

Obviously, after the meal you have a dirty knife, replete with gravy, that you now have to wrap in a napkin and stuff in your jacket. Either that or walk out of the place holding a bare knife in your hand.

Now granted, I do know of places where knives are brandished during eating, but my wife won't go with me to those kinds of places.

What I need (and envision) is something like a Tupperware product, about nine inches long, +2 inches in breadth and perhaps 3/4 inch deep. It could open like an eyeglass case, or be of two separate pieces that slide together.

It could cleanly fit into a pocket, and then the whole thing, plus the knife, could be tossed into the kitchen sink when you arrived home.

I've searched a bit on .google and .ask, but I can't find anything. Did you ever see such a carrying case?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have only seen cases that carry entire sets of silverware in them. What about a case for knives only that holds maybe two or three knives and use that?

The Tourist

Banned
I have only seen cases that carry entire sets of silverware in them. What about a case for knives only that holds maybe two or three knives and use that?

Do you think it would fit into the inside pocket of a man's coat?

And I'm not talking about a flimsy knife. The one I'm going to test is like 3.9 inches of blade steel and 8-inches overall. It has a wooden handle over a full tang. I hate to be macho, but it's a "man's steak knife."

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Not sure, but probably not. What about a roll up pouch? The kind that usually carries a set of screwdrivers and rolls up and you tie it closed? You would have to alter it so the knife takes up two or three of the spaces fitted for the screwdrivers... and still have one left over for a fork. I think the handle would stick out, but it would hold the blade in place so no biggie I think.
That is about all I can think of right now...

The Tourist

Banned
What about a roll up pouch?

I'm also thinking "gravy." I'd like a tightly fitting plastic or rubber container. After all, sometimes my wife and I might stop at Borders after lunch. I don't want the knife to leak into my jacket--not that this hasn't happened before.

Plus, a nice carrying case has a bit of panache. If it catches on, I might have the blade etched with a logo.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm simply amazed that anyone would take their own knife and silverware to a restaurant.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm simply amazed that anyone would take their own knife and silverware to a restaurant.

I do. Never could stand those cheap, dull, serrated crap knives used by all restaurants, including places like Roy's, Flemings, Ruth's Chris, etc. I take a custom by Ray Rantanen made out of band saw blade L6 carbon steel. The biggest attribute is "toughness", the ability to keep its edge under duress like when drawn against ceramic or glass plates.

Either one of these:

DSCN3594.jpg

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

A while back Doc, Chico and I were considering opening a business serving restaurants. Chico would sharpen the knives, I would straighten the tines on the forks and doc would straighten the handles on the spoons. :mrgreen:

MikeStewart

Chico,

Blue Ridge.

Order Number VN47300--Blade Safe for Knives with Blades up to 4.5 Inches.

It is an Injection molded Clam Shell that Snaps Securely Closed .

They are very nice and very handy.

Retail $3.95

The Model VN47303 will fit Your Hattori for Home.

It is $6.95 Retail

Mike

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Get a neck knife? This is mine (sorry for the poor picture). A custom made Carter Damascus. Haven't found a steak that would give it pause. I've used it at a Ruth Chris on several occasions. I just wipe on the napkin, and put it away. I wear it all the time.

P1020508.JPG

Need a fork/spoon too? This guy will make a Damascus spork for you which will come with it's own pouch. http://www.aescustomknives.com/

stainlessdamascusspoon2.jpg

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have a carry permit Warren? They're easy to obtain in FL especially with a military background.

I've been using a Messermeister Edge-Guard. It's handy but doesn't lock like the Victorinox.

MikeStewart

Mike - is that the Victorinx unit?

They are listed as Forschner but they all might be the Same.

Here is the Lamson Version--Looks the same to me.

bladesafes.jpg

I don't know who Actually makes them but a number of the Companies seem to have them imprinted.

I use them at Home for all of my better knives.

I don't have room on my Counter Top for a Block.

I suggested the ones above because Chico said that he had an Account with Blue Ridge.

They are one of My largest Accounts. They Buy well over a Half Million bucks from me a year and are a Great Distributor.

They sell Wholesale Only.

If any of the folks here are interested in these Cases Chico might offer a Group Buy.

Mike

The Tourist

Banned
Blue Ridge.

Order Number VN47300--Blade Safe for Knives with Blades up to 4.5 Inches.

Pretty close. I rep for Blue Ridge and my price was 1.65@each, so I ordered three of them. Worst case, one of my wife's Pampered Chef knives would also work if I gave it a bit of love--at least for one meal.

(They also beat the price for the knife itself I was thinking about. What the hey, I also ordered that from them.)

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Do you have a carry permit Warren?

Not me, but my wife and son do ;) My son is pretty active in the gun rights world. At the last knife gathering we had here, he gave everyone a demo of his arsenal, from high end pistols to full auto. :thumb:

gadzooks

A while back Doc, Chico and I were considering opening a business serving restaurants. Chico would sharpen the knives, I would straighten the tines on the forks and doc would straighten the handles on the spoons. :mrgreen:

"Not me, but my wife and son do ;) My son is pretty active in the gun rights world. At the last knife gathering we had here, he gave everyone a demo of his arsenal, from high end pistols to full auto. :thumb:"

And now you have a partner who can actually kill your dinner in front of you.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Not me, but my wife and son do ;) My son is pretty active in the gun rights world. At the last knife gathering we had here, he gave everyone a demo of his arsenal, from high end pistols to full auto. :thumb:

Any of you active in the PAFOA?

The Tourist

Banned
And now you have a partner who can actually kill your dinner in front of you.

Okay, granted, a worthwhile service. But my cousin Bobbie is out of work (again), and my Aunt Clara would be simply wroth with me if I took the job of "whacking" to strangers.

Besides, I think a savvy march hare could probably kick Bobbie's ass...

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I checked out my plastic eyeglasses case but it was too short but it is close to the idea of what you want. Then, I thought of the pen and pencil boxes that I carried as a child. I wonder if that is too big, but I think that is at least long enough.

The other option that you have is to take your idea to a tailor and it can be made out of a shower curtain type material or even leather. You could have a case made that is easily washable and could fit in your inside breast pocket. Unless you choose leathrer you would want seam binding to go around the sides to reinforce it. I think, a quick trip to the mens room, to give the silverware a quick rinse and dry and then, you are ready to go. (I thought of this because I was taught to sew long ago)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Also see [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Flannel-6-Pice-Silverware-Flatware-Setting/dp/B000K4O908/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b[/ame]

The Tourist

Banned
I just wipe the gravy off the Leatherman and put it back on my belt.

If we were in Stugis we could also eat with a chisel. My wife has decided for some silly reason to avoid reataurants where there's a menu section called "on a stick."

The knife I found has a reasonable length and a wooden handle. Only the knife guys here might recognize it for what it really is.

Granted, I'm not thrilled about the amount of chromium the knife has, but then again, we're talking gravy, au jus, salt, etc.

(And trust me, I'm embarrased to know what 'au jus' means.)

BTW, I am often asked if it's correct etiquette to eat with your pinkie up at places like Sturgis and Daytona. I always answer the same way.

The response is, "If you still have your pinkie, why not flaunt it?"

Rob Babcock

I do. Never could stand those cheap, dull, serrated crap knives used by all restaurants, including places like Roy's, Flemings, Ruth's Chris, etc. I take a custom by Ray Rantanen made out of band saw blade L6 carbon steel. The biggest attribute is "toughness", the ability to keep its edge under duress like when drawn against ceramic or glass plates.

Once at work last year a server came back to the kitchen and told me the customer complained his steak knife wasn't sharp enough. Since I always keep a bit of sharpening gear in my roll (3 x Edgemaker Pro's, Spyderco Sharpmaker, HA boro rod & DMT CS2 ceramic hone) I told her I'd sharpen one of the house steak knives for him. Mostly I just ran it thru the last two grits on the Edgemaker Pro, then steeled it lightly on the ceramic but it was got vastly sharper than it was. The guy was pretty amazed! He told the server that I should sharpen all of them that way! And I'm thinking yeah, that's worth my time. Plus I could see the bussers & dishers losing fingers pretty fast.:lol:

Rob Babcock

As to the OP's question, I suspect Pelican probably offers something that would be perfect, albeit perhaps overkill. AFAIK their cases are all waterproof and extremely durable.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hiya Rob. Go on over to Intorductions And Birthdays and introduce yourself. Lots of people know you here so let 'em know you're around. :smile:

Buzz