Nine month old corn on the cob!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she just had some corn on the cob that she peeled and Foodsavered and kept in the fridge from last summer!

And it was delicious! She was raving about it. :corn:

I almost always have a full fridge, but I'm so picky about my sweet corn that I will definitely try it when it's in season locally.

Has anyone else done this?

Lee

chilefarmer

We freeze corn in the summer for winter use. Vacuum seal shuck and all. and into the freezer. I won't say its as good as fresh but is pretty good. CF

rocket_j_dawg

Used to freeze it when we lived in Germany. There was one farmer that grew peaches and cream just for the Canadian Forces. Geman's don't normally eat corn ......it's cow food.
Anyway, it kept fine.

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have blanched it and frozen it, and I've just frozen it without blanching. I've never kept it in the refrigerator that long. Then again, I don't have a food saver. I've got to hit Sam's this afternoon, so maybe I'll take a look at them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have done it also and without vacuum sealing it but just in freezer bags. Now I won't eat corn that hasn't been frozen as I don't like rock hard kernels. We generally pull the outer layers for the husk but leave a bit on then simply put it into a freezer bag or wrap it with tin foil and into the freezer. Never had a problem with it going bad.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You guys did see that I said "fridge", not "freezer", right?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yeah, I saw that.

that would shucked, no?

could never offer a thought on corn in the fridge for 9 months.
would never even _think_ about opening the bag....

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I hate to be the Debby Downer, but why would she do that? What's the point? Just for a science experiment?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You guys did see that I said "fridge", not "freezer", right?

Lee

I just assumed she was talking freezer in the fridge as I've heard people refer to both as the fridge. Now I figure in 9 months it would be pretty much useless.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I have some from last year in food saver bags in the freezer. It is a real nice treat while waiting for the new crop. Going to be real late corn this year the way the weather has been.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Corn isn't an usual item. It's readily found in cans and in the freezer section. It just doesn't seem to be a good use of resources to vacuum-save it and take up fridge space.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I hate to be the Debby Downer, but why would she do that? What's the point? Just for a science experiment?

Beats me why she did it, CM, but that's EXACTLY the reason why I'M going to try it with a few of ears of corn this summer!

Lee

Attachments

• Mad-scientist-emoticon.jpg
    Mad-scientist-emoticon.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 122

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I hope you change your mind and put it in the freezer, Q-Sis :hide:. I'd hate for you to get sick.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
corn when ripe has veddy nice sugars.
after being picked, the sugars turn to starch.

back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, my grandfather would not even pick the corn until the water was boiling on the stove.

then came sugar enhanced and super-sweet hybrids.
they are less fast to convert their sugars to starch.

refrigeration slows down the process.
freezing really slows down the process.
if however it takes four days for the corn to get from the field to the freezer, quality will suffer rather a lot.....I'm sure we've all had mushy frozen corn on the cob....

a vacuum bag is not going to stop any of this, as atmospheric gases aka oxygen don't figure into the process.

by all means give it a shot if you want; I'd be very surprised if you did not find a different kernel of truth to the method.....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, folks, because of this discussion, I just checked with my friend again.

She meant "FREEZER", and she and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I'll still try it, but now I'm not nearly as intrigued. :neutral:

Pffft.

Lee