Knife sales?

S.Shepherd

With cheap airfare to Tokyo right now, all I need is the yen to come back up to august of last years level...and I'm n my way back.

chowhound

I sent that place off an email this morning asking if they were going to have a sale coming up or if I could still get a reduced price from the Holiday sale.... We'll see.

The Tourist

Banned
going to have a sale coming up

I believe there are four or five resellers and cutlers here. Not every guy sells every make and model.

You might start a new thread about looking for a certain knife, and then writing about your experiences in preparing food after it arrives.

Yikes, there are knives that I've never even heard of by name! It always seems like JoeC finds a new Japanese knife or Chinese cleaver by a name or manufacturer that is news to me.

Those are my favorite threads!

chowhound

Thanks Tourist. I'm interested in that particular knife that I posted. I'd just hate to buy it and have a sale on it 30 days later. I know this thread has kind of wandered, and that wasn't a bad thing.

The Tourist

Banned
I know this thread has kind of wandered, and that wasn't a bad thing.

I'm not a guy who minds a little thread drift. This will help our members. Everyone is on a budget.

As for sales and the relative savings, sometimes I get 'best column' pricing that for 50% of what the end-user might pay. I call my friend and we usually split the difference. All I do is take one box, open it, re-pack the knife in a smaller box and go see the UPS man.

Sweating over a wet rock, now, that's another story...

MikeStewart

420HC and 440A actually make a lot of sense for Normal Kitchen Knives for Average Folks and for Line Prep Folks.

That range of Steels possesses more Toughness than the Higher Carbon Steels that will hold an edge longer.

Most people in and out of the trade abuse Kitchen Knives.

The Extra Toughness is really necessary in those applications.

Another Feature of those Steels that makes sense for average folks is that these softer steels will not literally come apart on the edge when dragged through those Carbide Wheely Things that folks use to try to put an edge back on them.

Same for Fluted Kitchen Steels.

Those Tear the heck out of a High Carbon Blade instead of imparting teeth - like they do on the Softer Blades.

Imagine what would happen to a High Carbon Knife if You started Wailing on one of those Fluted Steels with it .

You would chip the Crap out of it.

The Softer Blades (52-54) just get more toothy.

Most home Cooks don't need what a lot of us consider sharp--they just need teeth.

Mike

The Tourist

Banned
420HC and 440A actually make a lot of sense for Normal Kitchen Knives for Average Folks and for Line Prep Folks.

I agree. The problem is when they try something better. And most people here are likely to be in that category.

For years my wife (successfully) used a Chicago Cutlery knock-off that couldn't have been worth more than eight bucks.

Then she used a Japanese nakiri with an 8 degree edge. Then out of dumb luck one night being at the right place at the right time, I scored an Hattori at a remarkable price.

She hasn't used anything else since.

My guess is that when a food hobbyist comes here they are looking to improve all phases of cooking. They want better recipes using superior products, nicer pots and pans, and on our side of the street, better knives.

I also believe most people here love knives and will go the extra mile to take very good care of them.

Now having said that, I just bought a knife for my own personal use that has more chrome in it than the bumper of a '57 Roadmaster. Yes, I know it's not a folded Japanese knife or equal to one of S30V. But it will be used to solve a specific problem.

And competition has brought pricing down. I've seen Shuns for around 100 bucks. Many Yaxell Ran knives cost 75 dollars. A lot of Chinese cleavers are on the 'net for 40 dollars. You no longer have to settle for a soft knife to save a few bucks.

Edit: The trick is to find inventory...

MikeStewart

I have found that when you tell the Average Home Cook-Not a Cooking Enthusiast --that a Kitchen knife is $50.00 or $75.00 or over a Hundred Dollars they are just shocked and say that they can get a whole Set at a Big Box Store for $39.95.

For most of them--That is exactly what they should do.

My Kitchen Knives Start at over $200.00 Each and mine are not even Hard Edged like the japanese knives.(Firm Believer in 58rc)

Most folks are calling 911 for a cardiac team just from hearing that.

Mike

S.Shepherd

oh good greif.....lets not encourage the use of the carbide edge scraper
hell, I'd rather see someone use one of those knife sharpener 2000 electric thinga-ma-bobs:doh:

those carbide scrapers..kinda like using blunt tiped scissors in the kitchen inted of a knife.......to cut onions:nono1:

MikeStewart

The Electric Tingamabobs should be sold in pairs.

If you tie them together they make great Light Trolling Anchors for Walleye Fishing.

:whistling:

The Tourist

Banned
This is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The clients keep asking (and expecting) cheap soft kitchen knives because that's what we give them. They believe that a 20 degree edge is proper and prudent for every use because that's how we sharpen.

About two weeks ago my wife invited a friend over so that I could look at her edges. This friend had purchased several Pampered Chef knives, and a "honing tool" giving her poor performance.

This "tool" was simply a pair of tiny porcelain rods positioned in a V-shape within a little plastic fixture. I offered to sharpen her knives while they had coffee and chatted.

However, my wife showed her two Japanese kitchen knives. I was hoping the demo was going to go well since my wife had used one of the knives to cube four pineapples--rinds and all. Even in that condition, her friend admitted that those knives out-performed all of her knives at home.

We sold her a five-inch, 69 layer, Yaxell Ran right on the spot. In other words, we sold a knife salesman a knife.

In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king. What do we expect people to do when all they know is ten dollar knives with a Rc of 52?

Yes, Green River knives helped the mountain men settle the new west in the 1830s. We all know they sharpened these trade knives at every opportunity.

chowhound

I got my email replied to last night..... no more sales coming up. As a matter of fact, they said with the economy the way it is, they might not have a holiday sale again and just maintain the same prices.
Oh well. It was worth a try.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I got my email replied to last night..... no more sales coming up. As a matter of fact, they said with the economy the way it is, they might not have a holiday sale again and just maintain the same prices.

Smart. That ought to give sales a big boost. :confused: If this recession gets uglier they may have different thoughts down the road.

The Tourist

Banned
If this recession gets uglier they may have different thoughts down the road.

Granted, it would give us all a boost.

But one of my suppliers has a catalog that is over an inch thick. Every few weeks I get a smaller catalog advertising the slow movers.

So lets suppose that people started to quit eating in restaurants and to stop going to Disney World. They decided to go on family vacations and camp out and eat at home.

This supplier not only sells higher end knives for chefs, but they also sell cheaper knives for homes and camping equipment (axes, ropes, lights, backpacks, etc.).

If they can't get you one way, they'll get you in another...

The Tourist

Banned
I'm a little slow this morning. As I struggle with the second latte' and wait for the "little brown truck," I befuddled by today's crossword puzzle and trying to find an excuse for not going to the gym.

Today is also a red-letter day in my dubious career as a tinker.

Today will be the first time I have ever used a Shapton glass stone on a folded Japanese knife.

Locutus was kind enough to send me a prototype Shapton he is working on with another professional sharpener. He is a very generous man, and he is sincerely researching higher levels of sharpening.

His plate is full, even in retirement. But I see no reason why he doesn't "take up the curse" and hang a shingle.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Poor ChowHound. Every time there's a new post on this thread he comes back to see if we've found anything on sale yet.
CH, check here and here often. You never know what will come up.

Chico, please post your thoughts on the Shapton GS after you try it out. Start a thread if you would please. I have them in 1, 2, 4, & 8k. I like them. They cut fairly fast and are slow to dish. For what you lose in feel you gain in ease of use IMHO. Even though they're glass mounted you should flatten before first usage.

chowhound

You better not post anything on sale, Buzz, I ordered that gyuto this morning (lol).
Don't be showing me any sales now.... ;^)

The Tourist

Banned
Chico, please post your thoughts on the Shapton GS after you try it out. Start a thread if you would please.

No prob, will do.

In fact, I just stepped away from the computer a few mintues ago to soak a Suehiro flattening stone and the Shapton, then I dressed the edges.

As I did, I couldn't help noticing that the stone was very similar to another prototype I had received.

This is going to be fun!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
In fact, I just stepped away from the computer a few mintues ago to soak a Suehiro flattening stone and the Shapton, then I dressed the edges.

!

Umm, without preempting a thread I hope you will start, in case you weren't aware, the Shapton GS does not need to be soaked, merely spritzed when in use.

The Tourist

Banned
Umm, without preempting a thread I hope you will start, in case you weren't aware, the Shapton GS does not need to be soaked, merely spritzed when in use.

Yes, I know, Locutus told me.

However, when I dress or flatten a stone on the Suehiro it seems like water is a great lube for the stone.

I have many spritzer bottles of water and amonia free Windex for cleaning and the sharpening application.

But over the years I have (cosmetically) scratched enough knives to be super careful. I tape everything with blue tape--the knives, the bed on the Edge Pro, any surface on the corian counter--everything.

I have a stone holder with very "sticky feet" for freehanding and dressing burrs, and I dress the edge on that 3x9 stone so I don't even put a whisker on the obverse side of a sashimi.

Yikes, I'd drive you nuts if you watched me polish chrome!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
You better not post anything on sale, Buzz, I ordered that gyuto this morning (lol).
Don't be showing me any sales now.... ;^)

That would be the Kanetsugu Pro M? If so, good choice. It comes with a convex edge. Mike Stewart knows more than anyone I've seen re: convex ground knives so he can help a lot with maintenance tips.

chowhound

Of course it's a good choice. You recommended it to me a couple months ago :lol:
I don't know nuthin' about convex edges except it will be sharpened like my DP..... so hopefully I don't screw it up too bad.

Your wheel chock jig I copied

Attachments

• sharpening system.jpg
    sharpening system.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 97

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You can put a flat bevel on a Pro-M when you sharpen it no problem. I actually kept mine convex for a while but finely got tired of doing it that way and simply did a flat. Cuts just as good with no problems.

chowhound

You can put a flat bevel on a Pro-M when you sharpen it no problem. I actually kept mine convex for a while but finely got tired of doing it that way and simply did a flat. Cuts just as good with no problems.

Yeah, I remember you saying that earlier.
So will it become flat with normal layman's sharpening methods? Will it need "helped" with a coarser grit? My coarsest stone is the Medium India stone that came with my kit.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mine I did with my Shapton Glass Stones so I can't tell you how the India stone will work with the steel. I've always used water stones and oil stones on my hand tools not knives. I did do mine over time though just keeping it sharp on my stones. The last time I sharpened it I also thinned it a bit but that is normal with most knives to do.