DO Yeast Dinner Rolls

Fe Stomach

The War Dept is practicing with the DO, and she is learning 'temps and times', and there effect on making breads. She has an account here on Net Cooking (sweet not sour) but does not like to type and input and has ask that I share her trials and tribulations for her.

Yep, I sometimes refer to my Wife as the "War Dept". .....But I consider that fair as long as I have to be "Counter Weight" or "Ballast":wink:

She made yeast type dinner Rolls and we learned alot.

The recipe came from the IDOS Archive Book Volume #1 "Grandma's Golden Dutch Oven Rolls"

1 envelope active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margie
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup scalding hot milk
1 egg lightly beaten
4 - 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
2 tablespoons melted butter or margie for brushing on the rolls

Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a large bowl and gently stir until yeast is dissolved.

Add sugar, the 1/4 cup butter, and salt to the hot milk and stir until the sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.

Cool mixture down to + 110 degrees.

Add this milk mixture to yeast and beat in the egg.

Beat in 4 cups of the flour one cup at a time making a soft dough, Saving the remaining 1/2 cup flour to dust onto a pastry cloth.

Knead the dough lightly for 5 minutes working in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour using it on the pastry cloth and your hands to keep the dough from sticking.

Place the dough in a warm buttered bowl, turning the greased side up, cover with a clean dish towel until the dough doubles in size about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
NOTE: Here she learned to place saran wrap over the bowl under the towel as the dough began to dry out without it.

Punch down dough and knead 4 - 5 minutes on a floured pastry cloth. Dough will be sticky but use as little flour as possible to prevent excessive sticking, too much flour will affect the "fluffyness".

Pinch of enough dough to make 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch balls.

Place the balls in neat rows in the DO where they are not quite touching each other, In a well buttered 14" DO.

NOTE: We missed the 'well buttered' part and she had a bit of a hard time getting the rolls out of the DO when done. In another recipe she found a suggestion of... "use a well buttered DO, place a circle of well buttered parchment paper in the bottom of the DO, then place the dough ball on the parchment"... and she has decided to use the parchment paper on the next attempt.

Cover rolls and let rise until dough again doubles in size, about 30 minutes.

Brush tops of rolls and bake in a moderate over at 375 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until nicely browned.

NOTE: Since the rolls were proofing the second time in the DO, it was not possible to 'preheat' the oven, which precluded placing them into a hot oven right off the bat. So what she did is to load the lid up with hot coals while she butter up the proofed dough. This "hot" lid helped to rapidly heat up the oven to baking temp. When the lid was placed on the oven the required coals were removed from the top and placed underneath.

Butter top of rolls, let stand for 2 minutes then serve.

yields about 24 rolls.

NOTE: the recipe calls for a 14" DO and we have a 12". So she decided to place the rolls that wouldn't fit in the 12" into our 8"DO.
As you can see in the pics, the tops of the rolls in the 12" DO look perfect while the rolls in the 8" DO got a "little" darker. Our guess is the 8" allows the hot lid down too close for suitable baking. And the 12" had to bake about 25 minutes and were somewhat doughy.

With the 12" she used 8 0n the bottom and 16 on the top, she intends to use 11 on the bottom and 17 on the top next time.

Now:drink2:

Scotty for Myrna

Attachments

• Rolls 1.jpg
    Rolls 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Rolls 2.jpg
    Rolls 2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 980
  • Rolls 3.jpg
    Rolls 3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Rolls 4.jpg
    Rolls 4.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Rolls 5.jpg
    Rolls 5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 954
  • Rolls 6.jpg
    Rolls 6.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 925
  • Rolls 7.jpg
    Rolls 7.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Rolls 8.jpg
    Rolls 8.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 916
Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Good looking dinner rolls. The darker ones are salvageable, just a little dark.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ya know....for whatever reason, it never occurred to me that you could make yeast rolls in a DO. I don't know why but I'll be thinking about how wonderful those rolls look all day :w00t:

That was a pretty smart idea to heat up the lid in advance! It might just be that the smaller DO just doesn't need to be baked as long since the container is smaller.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent post, Scotty! Those rolls look terrific!

Looks as if you and Myrna are having fun experimenting together!

Lee

Fe Stomach

Thx for the comments, hope this helps others to become encouraged to try.
Because even the darker ones taste good, the rolls were done perfect and the tops, while they are burnt, they were no more crisp than those from the 12" oven.

I forgot to add, to reduce handling for the final proof, she used the DO in which the rolls would be baked in. So prior to placing the rolls in the DO we heated them up w/two coals under each one for about 10 min, then took the coals away prior to loading the pot.

Thx
Scotty and Myrna

chilefarmer

I see nothing wrong with those rolls. Except that I don't have any, but I do have butter, please send rolls. CF:wink: