Need help buying a charcoal grill

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BT, we don't have tri-tip around here, either.

BUT, I had a gift certificate to Trader Joe's and picked up a package of marinated beef that is labeled "tri tip".

I have no idea what it looks like under all that shrink wrap and marinade, but I don't think mine is the same shape as that lovely chunk of beef in Keltin's photos.

If the weather is ever nice enough for me to enjoy grilling on my kettle again, I'll cook it up and post pix.

Lee

Norm

This supposedly dates back to when California was still part of Mexico and is also traditionally what vaqueros would often make for a meal.

Tri tip is starting to show up around the country now but for the longest time was a cut only seen on the west coast. This is the whole traditional recipe for the Santa Maria BBQ.

Santa Maria Tri-Tip (and All the Fixin's)

2-3 lb. beef tri-tip roast or top sirloin

Rub tri-tip with Spice Rub and let stand 1-4 hours.
Use mesquite or oak chips on the grill. Grill over direct heat, medium-high.*Brush on Basting Sauce as soon as you put it on the grill. Turn at least three times, basting every time.* Grill 30-35 minutes, to 140 degrees F.
Slice thin, across the grain, and serve with warmed corn tortillas, a green salad, Salsa, and Pinquito Beans.

Spice Rub
1 Tbl. fresh-ground black pepper
2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. granulated onion
1-1/2* tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. salt
Mix together and rub on meat.* Let stand at 1-4 hours before grilling.

Basting Sauce
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup garlic-infused vegetable oil
Drizzle oil slowly into vinegar, whisking rapidly.* Brush on meat as soon as you put it on the grill.
Santa Maria-Style Salsa
3 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2chopped sweet onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped California green chiles
1/2 cup snipped cilantro
1 Tbl. red wine vinegar
dash of Worcestershire sauce
pinch of dried oregano, crushed
few drops of hot pepper sauce
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and let stand for one hour to blend flavors.* Makes 3-? cups.

Santa Maria-Style Pinquito Beans
1 lb. small pink beans (Pinquitos) or pinto beans
2 strips bacon, diced
1/2 cup diced ham
1/2onion
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
3/4cup tomato puree
1/4* cup red chili sauce
1 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
Pick over beans to remove dirt and small stones; cover with water and let soak overnight in a large container. Drain, cover with fresh water and simmer 2 hours, or until tender (pintos may need longer). Sauté bacon and ham until lightly browned; add to beans. Sauté onions in bacon grease until lightly browned.* Add garlic and sauté a minute or two longer. Add tomato puree, chili sauce, sugar, mustard, and salt. Drain most of liquid off beans and stir in sauce. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Norm, everything sounds delicious!

I'm saving the salsa and bean recipes.

Poblanos okay for the salsa? I don't know what California green chiles are.

Lee

Mr. Green Jeans

BT, I'd surf Craig's List. There's always someone that either switches to gas, gets an unwanted wedding gift etc. Save you some dough!

Norm

I have used canned green chilies or roasted Anaheim chilies. Poblanos would work if you like it spicier. It would have a little more crunch if you used fresh chilies. I guess it is a matter of taste.

edit: the chili sauce in the beans is the sweet kind, like Heinz, aka cocktail sauce.

Last edited:

JackieBlue

Banned
I have a Brinkman combination charcoal/gas grill and really like it. I wanted one with a refrigerator attached but some of them are sooo expensive. So I'm thinking about just getting a small outdoor refrigerator, something big enough for a few drinks, condiments, etc..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
oh, i know k.
i'm hoping norm has a marinade or technique or something i haven't heard of yet. but thanks.

sadly, i don't think i've ever seen tri-tip for sale around here. i'm sure i could ask a butcher, though.

Tri-tips can be rare in most places. They are rare here. There are only 2 tri-tips per cow. As you can imagine, you’d have to butcher a lot of cows to stock a display case with tri-tips.

Many people don’t know what a tri-tip is, so most places just grind it up into sirloin hamburger meat.

If you have a Publix near you, go to the meat counter and ask for a tri-tip. Publix has full blown butchers that bring in crates of primals and sides of beef and then do their own cuts. I’ve been lucky and have gotten a tri-tip both times when I asked for one.

Last edited:

Norm

If you can't find tri tip, it is a cut from the top sirloin. Any top sirloin roast at around 2-3 pounds can be used but I have seen tri tip in our store in this little town in Kansas recently so you might be able to ask your meat cutter to order it for you.