Zuni Cafe Dry Salt Method

Leni

Has anyone tried the Zuni Cafe method of dry salting a chicken for a few days before roasting? It's supposed to be better than brining it. If so what are the proportions of salt to the bird? How long do you keep it in the refrig? Any other info would be appreciated, including seasoning suggestions.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Leni, I have not tried this, nor heard of it, until your post.

I posted the question on another forum (The BBQ Forum) and one of the guys posted this link: http://www.melindalee.com/index.php?option=com_garyscookbook&Itemid=6&func=detail&id=667

So far, I have not received any replies from posters who have tried it.

But I'M going to try it on chicken, because I really dislike the texture of brined chicken!

Thanks for putting this on my radar!

Lee

Leni

I was actually posting this for a friend. I'm a moderator for that website (melindalee.com) and Melinda's a personal friend of mine. She's talked about this on her radio show several times but I couldn't remember all of the details. Her website is down at the moment, one of the tables crashed, or I would have referred my friend to her website. Still it's always nice to get comments from other foodies. Let me know how you like it.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have to admit that the technique peaked my interest. Buzz has a thread here about dry brining and reverse searing a steak. I tried it and liked it. I was unsure of how to go about the chicken until Karen posted that link. Thank you Karen. I read the article and it was great.

I am thinking along the lines of two chickens and parting one out for weekday meals. I just do not have two cast iron pans. I was wondering about using my roasting rack and letting the roasting pan catch the juices or maybe put some veggies under the chicken as I have seen Bucky do. He did a rack of Lamb (I think) and roasted it over the veggies. At least that is how I remember it.

Mr. Green Jeans

I might have to try this method for the next beer can chicken I roast. Although, a light application of olive oil and a liberal dusting with Old Bay yield a crispy, tasty skin and the meat is oh so moist.

Leni

Have any of you tried blasted chicken?

Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile using the ovens grill pan, line the bottom with foil and fill with cut up potates. Place the chicken on the top part that has the slots. Do not truss the bird. This is where my memory starts to fade. I think you roast it for 10 min a pound. Whatever then you turn off the heat and leave the oven closed for another period of time that I can't remember. The chicken is moist and has very crispy skin. The potatoes catch the drippings otherwise this is a very smokey event. They make a great side dish.

Melinda's website is still down and she is out of town at the moment. As soon as I can I'll post the correct times. :bonk:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Have any of you tried blasted chicken?

Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile using the ovens grill pan, line the bottom with foil and fill with cut up potates. Place the chicken on the top part that has the slots. Do not truss the bird. This is where my memory starts to fade. I think you roast it for 10 min a pound. Whatever then you turn off the heat and leave the oven closed for another period of time that I can't remember. The chicken is moist and has very crispy skin. The potatoes catch the drippings otherwise this is a very smokey event. They make a great side dish.

Melinda's website is still down and she is out of town at the moment. As soon as I can I'll post the correct times. :bonk:
Sounds good can't wait.

Leni

Well, so much for my memory. Pre heat the oven to 450. This is for a chicken that weighs around 3 1/2 pounds. Roast for 45 minutes. An instant read thermometer should read about 160 in the thickest part of the thigh. Let it rest for 15 minutes.

I've made this using a chicken that weighed 4 1/2 pounds. I let it cook 10 minutes longer and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Melinda's site is back up so you can go there and check the salt technique.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I would imagine that it isn't too unlike baking a whole fish in a salt casing. The process yields an uber juicy, perfectly seasoned, succulent end result.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Kaching!!! Thank you Uncle Ralph. Would that be whole fish or filets? What kinds of fish have you used?

buckytom

Grill Master
leni, i just saw the show "america's test kitchen" do a salted roast turkey. if you have a membership, the recipe is available online.

if not, i recall that they pushed small amounts of herb infused kosher salt under the skin all around the turkey - including the legs and thighs, like you would make pockets with your fingers and push a compound butter under the skin.

it sat overnight wrapped in plastic in the fridge, then it was rinsed well to remove the salt, patted dry, and shmeared with butter and finally roasted breast side down for a half hour or 45 minutes, then breast up until it was done.

when i was searching for the a.t.k. link, i found this: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/rss/s_479742.html

hth. :thumb:

Last edited:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Kaching!!! Thank you Uncle Ralph. Would that be whole fish or filets? What kinds of fish have you used?

Sorry for the delay:

I have done this with ONLY whole fish, Salmon, Snapper, and rockfish/stripper/sea bass, and I am sure that it would lend its self to any flaky, medium bodied fish. The fish have been gutted, and the final product makes it so that with some careful butchering, the fish pulls CLEAN from the bones making it really easy to enjoy.