Turkey

waybomb

Has anybody tried the method of cooking found here:

http://www.howtocookathanksgivingturkey.com/

Seems more in line with the way we cook certain sausage types. Cook very hot for a short time to "shell" it, then cook at a low temperature for more even cooking. You could cook faster hotter, but slow cooking at this temperature would probably keep moisture intact better.

We are going to try it this way today. In fact, now! 20 minutes per pound.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
actually I do most poultry "in reverse" of that approach - low&slow, then jack up the heat for brown crisp pretty....

the turkey is current in at 275'F - unstuffed will take 3.5 hrs or so, then about 20 minutes at 425'F

waybomb

here's my report on this way of cooking a Turkey:

GaaawwwdddDaaammmnnn Man - the BEST Turkey I have ever had. I am serious. Talk about juicy! I highly suggest y'all try it once this way, you'll be hooked..

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm fine with all of that method, but I insist on stuffing my turkeys - there is no comparison to the flavor of the stuffing inside the bird.

I would think that method would be okay with a stuffed bird, don't you?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>that method would be okay with a stuffed bird, don't you?

reverting back to my:
>>actually I do most poultry "in reverse" of that approach - low&slow, then jack up the heat for brown crisp pretty....

works for me! I also much preferred stuffing "from the bird" - usually there's enough leftover that I bake it in an open dish for those in the 'thirds, please' camp....

waybomb

I'm fine with all of that method, but I insist on stuffing my turkeys - there is no comparison to the flavor of the stuffing inside the bird.

I would think that method would be okay with a stuffed bird, don't you?

Lee

Yes, my wife stuffed it. Had leftovers today - still juicy! Shelling the bird sure keeps the moisture in.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting Fred. To late for this year, but maybe I can test this method before next turkeyday.
The recipe did not mention brineing, so I don't suppose you brined your bird before cooking did you? I wonder if brineing would be overkill?

waybomb

Nope, no brining. Bought a 19.5 pound Butterball at Aldi at 99 cents a pound on Wednesday morning. Left it wrapped from the store, and dunked it cold water for about 13 hours, then added ice to it over night, and then thawed for a few more hours.

Pulled the bags and neck out.

Stuffed the bird with vegetables.

Baked it per the instructions, though I did shell it for about 45 minutes to make sure. After that, 250f. Total cook time about 7.5 hours or so.

All I can say is - awesome

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I didn't get any leftovers from my Dad's house, and QBro got a free turkey at work, so we will be making our own turkey dinner.

I'll try your method, waybomb!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We all loved our tamales yesterday, but looking at all of the wonderful turkeys has convinced me that I NEED A TURKEY. I will definitely try this technique...it sounds great. Thanks for sharing it!