Cucuzza squash, when to pick? What to do?

This is my first year growing the Cucuzza squash. I know they can get extremely large. My first question is, is there any " right" time to pick them ? can they get over ripe?

My second question is, does anyone have any recipes for them ? Years ago, a friend gave me a squash. I remember it being zucchini- like. She had given me a recipe to stew it with tomatoes and other things ( ive lost the recipe, and its been so long, i forgot it completely, and she isnt with us anymore, so I cant ask).

larry

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Larry, I had to look up that squash, and it seems as if they can grow VERY long if left on the vine! Didn't see anything that indicated that they would get overripe, though.

Googling, I found recipes for battered and fried slices, cakes, stews and more.

Here's one from a blog called "Noshtaligia", that might be what you're looking for, Larry (omitting the meat, natch).

Let us know how you like your squash dishes!

Lee

Stewed Cucuzza

One 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
2 lbs cucuzza squash peeled and cut it to bite sized chunks(if using zucchini there is no need to peel)
1/4 tsp salt
1 clove crushed garlic
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp oil
1/8 tsp red pepper
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey is optional (but really adds so much more to the dish).

Place oil in a large skillet and sauté chopped onions. Add meat and brown. Season with your salt, red pepper and oregano. When meat is almost cooked, add stewed tomatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir squash into mixture and cook for about 30 minutes more or until tender. Serve plain or over spaghetti with Romano cheese.