CI Skillet

joec

Gold Site Supporter
i have a Misto oil sprayer that i put my own oil in.

but no one answered the question. is regular blue can crisco good for seasoning CI?

Crisco and lard are equally as good for seasoning a pan really.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
One other thing -- do NOT use cooking oil sprays -- that stuff is like glue, especially on non-stick pans.
+1, Doug! This is soooo true. And the olive oil cooking sprays are the worst! (The commercial ones.) I practically ruined the one non-stick skillet I have with that stuff.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
+1, Doug! This is soooo true. And the olive oil cooking sprays are the worst! (The commercial ones.) I practically ruined the one non-stick skillet I have with that stuff.
small question why do you use non stick spray in a non stick skillet? just wondering.

homecook

small question why do you use non stick spray in a non stick skillet? just wondering.

Peeps, if you have a specific question, you may want to start your own thread. You have a better chance of getting it answered that way than in someone else's........

chowhound

Peeps, if you have a specific question, you may want to start your own thread. You have a better chance of getting it answered that way than in someone else's........

That's a good idea. This question could easily require its own thread... maybe in a poll. Who does and doesn't and why.

FryBoy

Simply because even in a non-stick pan many things cook better -- and stick less -- with a bit of oil. One example that comes to mind is pancakes. Besides, oil sprays aren't "non-stick" any more than a bottle of oil is, and in fact are stickier because of the other ingredients in them, usually lecithin, which turns to a gummy residue in non-stick pans. That residue builds up over time and can be very difficult to remove, and it will eventually screw up the pan. Several cookware manufacturers specifically recommend against using the stuff in their non-stick pans for this reason. Better to use a bit of oil and smear it around with a paper towel or spatula.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Dag, guys! I have a Lodge 12-inch cast iron skillet and it is as black as ever. Just the way I like it! Yeah, the blackness also DOES helps the skillet retain its non-stick qualities.

When I was a little boy, I always thought that by the skillet being so black, that the food cooked in it would also be black. That is, until I got older and began to realise why they were always black as coal.

Last edited:

Wart

Banned
Simply because even in a non-stick pan many things cook better -- and stick less -- with a bit of oil. ...... Several cookware manufacturers specifically recommend against using the stuff 9Non Stick Spray in a can) in their non-stick pans for this reason. Better to use a bit of oil and smear it around with a paper towel or spatula.

With the added advantage that you don't have to worry about breathing the overspray.

Dag, guys! I have a Lodge 12-inch cast iron skillet and it is as black as ever. Just the way I like it! Yeah, the blackness also DOES helps the skillet retain its non-stick qualities.

When I was a little boy, I always thought that by the skillet being so black, that the food cooked in it would also be black. That is, until I got older and began to realise why they were always black as coal.

And when I was a little kid I thought that black pan needed a good scrubbing so I sat down with a Brillo and worked my fingers to the bone getting the pan shiny.

Proudly showed it to Dad.

Dad was Amused but not happy. LOL!

What I learned from that experience is it takes a shit load of work to harm a well seasoned pan.

A touch of dish soap and a abrasive pad doesn't hurt a thing.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just make sure that the scouring pad is plastic. it will get off the softened food, but it won't harm the black coating.

What really happens is that the oil or shortening used to season the pan with eventually carbonizes, oxidises and blackens the pan over time and turns it black.

But now, you can get Lodge CIC already preseasoned, saving you the time and aggravation trying to get it blackened. Just DO NOT wash it in the dishwasher.

Wart

Banned
But now, you can get Lodge CIC already preseasoned, saving you the time and aggravation trying to get it blackened.

What that would do is soak up time and create frustration in getting the Lodge seasoning off so I could season it myself. L

Oh well ...

I've burnt pans out, oiled them to keep them from rusting, and started using them and they seem to season up just fine.

OTOH I don't have new iron, and that may have something to do with it.

When washing a pan with dish soap and a ScotchBrite pad I've noticed some times the pans surface dries out. I only need get the pan a little warm, apply some oil which the pan (waffle iron, Dutch oven, skillet, ...) soaks up and all is fine.

Just looked at the 12" I used for burgers last night and washed this morning. It's sitting over the pilot light (drying) and by golly for the most part it's still got a film of oil. some parts are drier than others. I'll hang it up and leave it go.

Shermie

Site Supporter
But why would you want to try to remove the factory-installed seasoning? But I think they still sell it unseasoned as well.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is easy enough to season a pan though I don't recommend using oils of any kind. I have a couple lodge pans and see no need to remove the existing season at all. Now I've re-seasoned as well as restored some badly rusted ones over the years and find if you don't use soap and scrub brushes the finish stays better much longer. Now I do recommend hot water while the pan is hot to remove any cooked on foods this method also works great with stainless steel making them look brand new with little work.

Shermie

Site Supporter
It is easy enough to season a pan though I don't recommend using oils of any kind. I have a couple lodge pans and see no need to remove the existing season at all. Now I've re-seasoned as well as restored some badly rusted ones over the years and find if you don't use soap and scrub brushes the finish stays better much longer. Now I do recommend hot water while the pan is hot to remove any cooked on foods this method also works great with stainless steel making them look brand new with little work.

Yeah, they say don't wash the pan when you're done using it, but just wipe it out instead, but who wants nasty dried-on food to come up in the next thing the pan is used for?! That's nasty. Also a breeding ground for bacteria, pathogens, germs and diseases.

I use Dawn to clean the dishes, glassware, silverware and the pots & pans anyway, so I just wash the CIC, rinse and dry it with a towel and I keep it away from any moisture. I a times, apply a thin coat of oil to it inside and out and let it "bake" in the oven on low for several hours.

And speaking of moisture, DO NOT place any CIC under the sink because should the sink spring a small leak, the CIC will most certainly become grossly rusted for sure!! It has happened to me once. You wouldn't and shouldn't want to keep it there anyway. I keep it in a plastic supermarket shopping bag to keep dust and moisture at bay. :mrgreen:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually at the heats one would use cast iron bacteria and such isn't a problem. Also if it cleaned while still cooking hot not likely for any food particles to remain but do what you feel comfortable with in my case I've been doing it for years as my grandmother did and hers with no problems. The pans tend to last many years before needing any more work either as far as re-seasoning. In my case I have one almost 25 years that still looks like the first time I seasoned it. I treat my woks the same way and have had the 3 I have about 20 years without need of re-seasoning nor any tastes of food cooked previously as well as no illness from them.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, speaking of woks, I also have a Lodge cast iron one which also came preseasoned.

At times, I sometimes kind of regret having bought it because it's so heavy that I can't tilt it and flip it back to toss the veggies and meat in it, so I just use two Asian spatulas that are designed for use with stir-frying. And it alson gives me plenty of room to toss the food during the cooking process!

But it DOES help maintain the high heat very well, which is what you want for stir frying. The burner has to be set to the highest flame to get the wok hot and to KEEP it hot. In other words, SCREAMING HOT.

I've done stir-fries in it as well as Chinese fried rice.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also have a Lodge 14" cast iron wok that I use only on my electric stove. Now my induction handles the carbon steel ones just fine but to be honest I rarely doing any flipping with the pan just use a wok style spatula to flip with. I've also use the cast iron as a large saucier also due to its round bottom on the inside. It is very heavy though.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes it would be this one I'm sure. Lodge wok on the left and a couple of Emerilware cast iron on the right (probably made by lodge also) that are handy pieces.

Attachments

• LodgeWok14in.jpg
    LodgeWok14in.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Emerilware CI ChiliPot-Cornbread Pan.jpg
    Emerilware CI ChiliPot-Cornbread Pan.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 112

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yep, you know it.

That's mine on the left. Love it, but it's heavy. So it stays on the stove until it's emptied and washed. Then I put it away.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I only have two non stick scan fry pans but a lot of stainless, carbon steel and cast iron (both enameled and standard) since I'm eventually going completely induction shortly. Cast iron to me is excellent as is multi clad stainless steel. I've never been a fan of cooper or aluminum in cookware as the aluminum is too reactive and cooper is impossible to keep looking good.

chowhound

That CI wok looks like a beast alright. Does it have a ring or rim around the bottom to keep it from rolling? Or does it come with a separate ring like those old "hand hammered Chinese woks" that used to be sold on TV. That's the kind I have.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No Chow it is flat bottomed with a stand or it wouldn't work on my glass top or my induction both of which it works on. The interior is all round though it is really the nicest of all the cast iron I looked at an much cheaper than many out there. It will give you a good stir fry but you can't walk away from it as once it is to heat it cooks so you have to stand over it or over cooked to burnt will be sure to happen.

I have 3 hand made Chinese woks one that is round bottom I can't use except on gas like my grill or turkey fryer burner and two flat bottom ones that work though not well on the electric stove top. My induction cook with both of these fine as well as the cast iron as it heats the pan itself to 475 degrees and holds it there. In spite of what others may tell you anything over 400 degrees is fine for stir frying due to using peanut oil which will smoke at about that temp.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It really is with a base about 6" too. I think the Lodge is the only cast iron I've seen that really works as a wok as most cast iron to me regardless of what they call it are fry pans at the heats required.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I also have the Lodge 5-qt cast iron Dutch Oven with a lid as well. And it also came preseasoned.