Summer Cooking - Meals/Dishes/Recipes

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Boiled shrimp (very little cooking) with saltines and cocktail sauce or a shrimp salad

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
No grill??? :w00t:

:yum:

How about an Outdoor Dutch Oven!!! :biggrin:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11111

Ok, if it has to be done indoors, then Crockpot meals are a winner. Easy to do and they don't heat up the place.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15027

Also, we have a large toaster oven that we do a lot of our cooking in. Since we only cook for 2, the toaster oven is a real blessing. It runs on 110 instead of the 220 the large oven uses, so it saves energy and doesn't heat up the place.

Guts

How about Crab Sandwiches. Or maybe Shrimp ?

1 sandwich

1 tablespoon prepared mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 ounces crab meat / or Shrimp
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 slices brioche (each 1/2 inch thick), toasted
1 leaf Boston lettuce
4 slices ripe plum tomato
Directions
In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and lemon juice until well combined. Gently fold in crab; season with salt and pepper.
Place one slice of brioche on work surface. Top with lettuce, crab salad, and tomato slices. Sandwich with remaining slice of bread. Serve immediately.

GotGarlic

What's wrong with the grill?? :wink: I heard from a friend of a friend years ago that she doesn't use her oven during the summer - everything is done on the stovetop, in the microwave or on the grill. I pretty much subscribe to that notion :smile: although we have a good-sized toaster oven, too, Keltin, that we use a lot during the summer.

Once the tomatoes and basil are really coming in, I could live on caprese salad and bruschetta with homemade basil pesto and chopped tomatoes. And BLTs. But our go-to meals during the summer are usually some kind of grilled meat with a green salad.

K

Kimchee

I am pretty much in the Never Too Hot To Cook camp too.

AllenOK

The kitchen I work in is miserable. The A/C sucks! I have a gas-fired grill, flattop griddle, oven set @ 550 degrees F, two commercial deep-fryers, a salamander (commercial over-the-head broiler), and ten stovetop burners, one of which is at a constant simmer for a veggie poach.

Needless to say, I'm sweating like a pig all day at work! During the heat wave last week, I was actually taking a wet kitchen towel, placing a handful of ice in the center, then wrapping the towel around the ice, and draping that over the back of my neck.

At home, though, it's a different story. After being without A/C for a month, the family doesn't want the house getting hot. We're using the crockpot, a roaster oven, the grill, and the microwave these days. Occasionally I'll fire up the deep-fryer.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That doesn't sound like much fun Allen.

My input into this thread is that I don't have a problem with baking, standing over a stove or anything during these hot days of summer.
I keep my house cool enough as it is, so it's never a problem.
It can be in the 90s outside, has no effect on what I am doing in a cool kitchen.

I have A/C & cook during the Summer. Perhaps my question could have been clearer, i.e. what meals do you enjoy preparing/cooking during the warmer months. I eat lighter during the Summer, than the Winter. To give you some ideas...

Gazpacho
pasta salads
fritattas(sp)
salads of every variety
Paninis
Chicken Scallopini
etc., etc., etc.

Thought there would be lots of Summer meal ideas.

Cooksie, re the boiled shrimp, have you tried Frogmore Stew?
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/frogmorestew.htm

The crab recipe sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Frogmore stew is one of my favorites. Everything in one pot, what could be easier :thumb:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Learn something everyday. I had never heard of Frogmore stew. Good link CC! :tiphat: :D

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I always say it's too hot to cook, but then I end up doing it anyway! However, one of my favourite things is salads with some kind of protein with it.

One of the first things I prepared here was caesar salad with boiled crawfish.

I enjoy salad as the meal but it has to be substantial enough to feel like I've eaten a meal. Add some meat, poultry or fish and a decent slice of bread, a glass of wine and I'm good to go.

K

Kimchee

I enjoy salad as the meal but it has to be substantial enough to feel like I've eaten a meal. Add some meat, poultry or fish and a decent slice of bread, a glass of wine and I'm good to go.

Yup! Except I'd prefer a nice IPA beer.

PanchoHambre

It has been way too hot to cook this july here in Philly. The most I use my stove for lately is boiling water for coffee in the morning.

I try to grill alot on the weekends and make sandwiches with the leftovers during the week.. otherwise tuna salad and the like. Even with AC turning on the stove is just not appealing to me when it's hot out.

Antipasto... cold cuts.. olives.. smoked salmon... cheeses.. all summer standbys