Breaking down some ducks

High Cheese

Saucier
I bought 2 ducks today. After butchering I'll be making a quick version of duck confit, rendered duck fat, duck stock and reserving the wings for Asian duck wings and reserving the breasts for something like duck eggrolls.

Here's the ducks broken down. Leg quarters, breasts (actually they're pretty small boobies), wings, skin/fat and the carcass/neck, etc.

IMG_9577.jpg

For the duck fat, I chop the skin into 1 inch pieces, layer them in a skillet and cover with water. Simmer over medium heat for about 1.5-2 hours. The water evaporates and you're left with clear Liquid Gold.

IMG_9585.jpg

About 1/2 way through.

IMG_9588.jpg

Just about done. Clear liquid and slight color on the skin.

IMG_9593.jpg

Strained.

IMG_9594.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
I rendered the duck legs a little first, which isn't authentic but I did it anyway. Added a spice pouch and the rendered fat. Into a 225 oven for a few hours. Don't know how long yet. lol

IMG_9587.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

I decided on a smaller vessel.

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9595.jpg

For the stock, no salt! Since I don't know how I will be using the stock I can always add salt later. Start by browning...really brown...the carcass in a pot. Remove then add your aromatics. I used carrot, celery, onion, shallot, 'peeled' garlic (lol), thyme, bay, and juniper berries. Brown the veg, add the bones back into the pot, deglaze with white wine, add water, cover and simmer.

Duck001.jpg

Duck002.jpg

Duck.jpg

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Beautiful!

But do you need a little more? I keep it in the fridge right next to the unused jar of bacon grease. I just keep pushing them around in my fridge and forget to use them!

Maybe you can inspire me to do a confit.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 125

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Yes, if the seasoning isn't overpowering. If it is strong, just remember that when seasoning your second dish. Something like potatoes can probably stand up to that garlic.

Your temperature should certainly be low enough not to break it down. But if it turns very dark, it's probably not reusable.

Just strain VERY well - cheesecloth or coffee filter. If you get any meat in it, it could turn rancid.

High Cheese

Saucier
The stock so far. Initial browning adds to the color. I took the lid off so it reduces a bit and I can skim off the crud from the top.

Duck003.jpg

The confit at about 2 hrs. I need to flip them every so often since they arent submerged. I also removed the spice pouch.

Duck004.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
Got the stock done and into the freezer.

Duck012.jpg

The duck comes out of the fat and into a hot skillet to crisp the exterior.

Duck005.jpg

The final dish: Duck confit with potato gratin and garlic spinach. the duck had a consistency of pulled pork, or something on that line.

Duck011.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That is AMAZING Jay! Wonderful step by step write up, and fantastic finished plate!

Maybe this ought to be moved to the Tutorials forum? Great job! :clap:

Oh, and I love your pots and pans! Nice! :thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, fantastic, HC!!!

I love roasted or grilled duck, as much for the skin, as anything else. Was your skin crispy?

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks everyone!

Yes Lee, very thin and crispy since I rendered the fat from the legs first, then confit, then crisped in a skillet before serving.

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks everyone!

Well, I got around to using the wings yesterday. Was a little interesting. I looked on the web for some recipes and wouldn't cha know it? There aren't many. lol The wings, unlike a chicken, are actually used for flying so they are very tough. I looked up a few methods and came up with this:

I seperated the wings from the drumettes and simmered them in leftover duck stock for 2 hours. I made a (you can use whtever you want) Szechuan style sauce (basically hoisin, Szechuan peppercorns, finger chiles) tossed the wings in the sauce and put them on a baking sheet in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes to render some more of the fat and cook the sauce in. They were just before the point of getting crispy. I finished cooking them on my 14" kettle over HOT wood coals to char the outside, only about 45 seconds per side. I think the charring added nice contrast to the texture and richness to the meat. The meat itself was tender but still a little 'stringy'. Not too bad, but you definatley would serve them with toothpics on the side.