What goes with a French Dip?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My father is coming to visit, and he loves French Dip sandwiches (sliced well-done beef in French bread, with an au jus dip).

I'm going to make that for him one night next week (anyone have a good recipe using a pot roast?) and would like suggestions as to what to serve.

I don't do French fries very well.

TIA!

Lee

Ian M.

Another possibility might be either a potato salad or a pasta salad. Or even a vegetable salad.

When I make French Fries, I use a fairly long tuber, washed and peeled and either hand cut the fries to the size I want or use a mandolin to get them the way I want them. Then, using a nice, fresh Crisco oil I do them in moderate heat until they're nice and crispy and golden. No real art to it, simply watching them closely so they don't overcook. I have a deep fryer but I hate to use it because it's such a bearcat to clean. I usually just use my trusty old cast iron Dutch Oven and heat the oil appropriately and drop my fries straight into it. Works like a charm. Judging by the photos I've seen of your culinary work, I'd have to say I don't believe there's much of anything you don't cook well, incidently!

Another possibility on the French Fries (and this is cheating but my family really likes them this way) is to buy a bag of frozen Ore-Ida steak fries and use my oven to do them up. Just salt them when they come out and they're delicious!
You could also consider sweet potato fries - very popular these days and seiously yummy!

Ian:clap:

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

I LOVE French Dip - but it is something I always order - never tried to make.

I think the sandwich stands on its own nicely - crusty bread, melty cheese, juicy meat and that awesome dipping sauce - I dont think it needs fries - it needs something bright and fresh to be counterpoint to all of that melty fatty deliciousness - a bright crisp slaw or a tangy vinaigrette on greens

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! Great ideas and replies - thanks, all!

Mama, I have the same problem with onion rings as French fries - don't want to make them from scratch and the frozen ones are "eh" at best.

Ian, I may just try your fries method soon, but not with the French Dip (and thanks for the compliment!)

I do like the veg. salad idea .... maybe a three-bean salad.

Pancho, my dad loves cole slaw, that might be the ticket!

We have SUCH great people here! :)

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'd do fruit bowls with a mixture of watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe. It's the perfect time of the year, and he could have some with his breakfast too.

Leni

I'd do cole slaw. The best way to do fries is to cook them twice. Cook once until almost done, drain. Then cook a second time until they are the way you like them. You can do the first stage ahead of time and even refrig them. Bring back to room temperature and fry the second time. This method is great for that party you're planning.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like cole slaw, macaroni salad or potato salad with a sandwich myself.

As for a pot roast well that one is easy though I prefer a roast beef done in the over better. At any rate here is a pot roast I tried recently and was good.

Perfect Pot Roast - Ree Drummond, Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
One 3 to 5-pound chuck roast
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 whole onions, peeled and halved
6 to 8 whole carrots, unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup red wine, optional (but a must in my house)
3 cups beef broth
2 or 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. (this is the trick low and slow)

Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast.

Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.

Throw the carrots into the same very hot pot and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so. Reserve the carrots with the onions.

If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the very hot pot. Place the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.

With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to de-glaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Place the roast back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.

Add in the onions and the carrots, along with the fresh herbs.

Put the lid on, then roast for 3 hours for a 3-pound roast. For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours. The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 4 hr 15 min
6 servings

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
sliced seedless cuke & tomato w/ seasalt & black pepper. they would contrast well.
soaking those veggies in a vinaigrette w/ vidalia onion would be a refreshing dish, too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
sliced seedless cuke & tomato w/ seasalt & black pepper. they would contrast well.
soaking those veggies in a vinaigrette w/ vidalia onion would be a refreshing dish, too.

Yep that would work for me too. :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Love the idea, luvs, joe and leni! I've got all the stuff and it's easier than cole slaw!

Thanks!

Lee

Leni

It ceertainly is and you can do all of it ahead of time except maybe the cheese. I think that I'd add that when you are ready to serve. As a matter of fact I think that I'll make that for dinner tonight. It will go great with pizza.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
wow so many tasty sides - now I want a french and all the sides

I have a pot roast in the freezer, and Dad loves that, too, so I was thinking I'd go with a pot roast in the crockpot recipe (there are many) like this one. The ratings are high for this recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/french-dip-roast-beef-for-the-crock-pot-103403/review

But now I'm leaning towards Pancho's idea.

Pancho, this Rachel Ray recipe uses deli-sliced roast beef, like the ones you mentioned. Looks wicked easy and the ratings are great! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/french-dip-sandwiches-recipe/index.html

Maybe I'll go with the sliced deli beef, and save the pot roast for a Fall dinner. Hmmmmmm.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pancho, this Rachel Ray recipe uses deli-sliced roast beef, like the ones you mentioned. Looks wicked easy and the ratings are great! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/french-dip-sandwiches-recipe/index.html

Maybe I'll go with the sliced deli beef, and save the pot roast for a Fall dinner. Hmmmmmm.

Lee

Well, I did go with the Rachel Ray recipe. The beef consumme was a bit too salty (which I should have known, but went with it anyway).

The deli roast beef was spectacular (it had better have been, at $10.99/lb) and I bought ciabatta bread, which was an excellent choice.

I will do this again, but will try a different dip recipe.

If anyone comes across a great TNT one, please post!

Lee
French Dip.JPG

Last edited: