Digital Thermometer for smoker

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I ordered one of those 119.00 smokers on sale on Lowes. Had to order it online as it was not a stockable item.

So now I'll need a thermometer or two. I'm considering going the digital route but wondering where to buy them?

Any pros or cons to the digital ones? How much do they run?

Guessing digital are more accurate than the other type. Any validity to that?

chowhound

I think mine is a ready temp, I'd have to look. I got it at Amazon for 39 bucks, it has two probes, one for the grate and one for the food, but there's no reason you can't interchange them or stick one in each hunk of meat... And it has a remote you can set nearby, but in the field of view of the sending unit.
And like I mentioned in another thread, it apparently retains its accuracy better than the Taylor thermometer I bought ;^)
I'll go look at it shortly.

chowhound

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediChek-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49"]here ya go, Doc[/ame]

It was pretty popular with the BBQ guys over a year ago when I got it. Looks like it went up some. I see where Target has it also, but I didn't check their price.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I got this guy, and I've been very happy with it.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-AW131-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B000RL2ZGO/ref=pd_bxgy_ol_img_a[/ame]

I use it as a meat thermometer, and I hang it in my smoker to monitor the temperature. It is wireless, so I can chill on the couch while I'm cooking, and have it right next to me. It's very accurate, and safe to use up to 500 deg.

The only con is that it uses up batteries when I smoke. They are good for maybe 20 hours, but that's like 2 butts, or 4-5 racks of ribs. Other than that I highly recommend it!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you want a meat thermometer or a cooking temperature thermometer? One is submersible and one is not.

I am embarrassed to say, I don't know. What type do I need for a smoker? I suspect the meat one, but :confused:

here ya go, Doc

It was pretty popular with the BBQ guys over a year ago when I got it. Looks like it went up some. I see where Target has it also, but I didn't check their price.

Thanks CH. Your thread is what got me wondering, and I didn't want to take your thread off topic with my request. Thanks!

I got this guy, and I've been very happy with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scient...hermometer/dp/B000RL2ZGO/ref=pd_bxgy_ol_img_a

I use it as a meat thermometer, and I hang it in my smoker to monitor the temperature. It is wireless, so I can chill on the couch while I'm cooking, and have it right next to me. It's very accurate, and safe to use up to 500 deg.

The only con is that it uses up batteries when I smoke. They are good for maybe 20 hours, but that's like 2 butts, or 4-5 racks of ribs. Other than that I highly recommend it!

I like the wireless idea. :thumb: Thanks guys, I'll ck em out.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations on the purchase of your new smoker, Doc!

If your pit doesn't come with a thermometer, you need one. You also need one or two for meats.

The probe thermometers can do both. I have a couple of simple Taylor probe thermometers and love them [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer-Timer/dp/B00004XSC5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1252603214&sr=1-1[/ame]. I also have a bunch of Polder brands of the same type- more expensive and I don't see any difference in performance.

Do NOT get the connection between the probe and the cable wet (with water, that is - oil is okay).

I've used the wireless ones with varying success. Since I only smoke meats in the summer, and am outside most of the time while the meat is on the cooker, I don't need wireless.

Looking forward to seeing your barbecued food!

Lee

chowhound

Rob, sometimes I leave mine on for days after I Q before turning off the transmitter and I'm still on my first batteries. Just sayin'... Some devices work better on one brand battery over another. I'd switch brands if you haven't tried that already.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Doc may be this will help a bit. First yours will have a thermometer to tell the basic cooking temperature is in the box. Now regardless of what you put into it to cook it will require a getting to a given internal temperature to be done. This will take as long as it takes based on what it is.

Most meats will only take smoke for about 2 to 3 hours at normal cook temperatures. This is due to the fact that once done to a given internal temperature it can't take more. So after 3 hours if you check it periodically with an instant read thermometer then close the door and do it again later. Do this every 30 minutes to and hours until it hits the internal temperature you want. I know my method is archaic but then it has worked for me before I even own a thermometer. No one has ever complained about my smoked foods be under done or over done. :whistling:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Rob, sometimes I leave mine on for days after I Q before turning off the transmitter and I'm still on my first batteries. Just sayin'... Some devices work better on one brand battery over another. I'd switch brands if you haven't tried that already.

I might try that too, or get some lithium batteries!

High Cheese

Saucier
The smoker itself should have some sort of thermometer. If not, you'll need to retro fit one which basically just involves drilling a 3/8" hole.

As for meat thermometers, there's a bazillion different ones. I have one version that has a probe which stays in the meat and wirelessly send a the cutrrent temp to another pager-like unit you keep next to you. You can set it for a specific temp and an alarm will sound. I've had so-so results with that one. One thing I do not like about it is the probe is pretty large, like 1/8 - 1/4" diameter and leaves a gaping hole in the meat.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Check-Wireless-Thermometer-Probes/dp/B00004SZ10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1252609297&sr=8-1[/ame]

51QDQBFCR0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The Thermapen has very good reviews, it's accurate and the probe is not too large.

Thermapen.jpg

I wound up buying a thermal meter and a hypodermic-style thermoprobe. The probe is very small in diameter and leaves only a pin prick in the meat. That setup was comparable in price to a Thermapen.

Pig005.jpg

chowhound

Lithium batteries are good, but I'm not sure how they work in thermometers. The thing about lithium is when they die they die, whereas a regular alkaline will still have some juice at a lower voltage. And that's usually enough to get by with until you get new batteries. At any rate, I use Duracell. And if I use Energizers in my driveway alert, they die in half the time, too.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Lithium batteries are good, but I'm not sure how they work in thermometers. The thing about lithium is when they die they die, whereas a regular alkaline will still have some juice at a lower voltage. And that's usually enough to get by with until you get new batteries. At any rate, I use Duracell. And if I use Energizers in my driveway alert, they die in half the time, too.

Hmm... I just checked it, and the batteries are still good. I thought they were dead, so maybe they last longer than I thought...

And I want one of those Thermapens HC, but they are $$$!

chowhound

The price is what has kept me away from those thermapens, too.

I've had one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Extended-Pocket-Digital-Thermometr/dp/B002KKV44Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1252610683&sr=8-4"]like this[/ame], but not the extended temp range, for about 15 years now. It works great, is skinny enough to test chicken wings and I just put my first new battery in it a couple months ago. I was surprised I could even find a new battery for it.
I really like that hypodermic style one, but the cable is too thick to snake it through typical smoker doors. The thinner ss braided cable works great without having to drill a hole. Not that drilling a hole is a big deal.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Vents are rarely closed all the way on most smokers so why not snake it through a vent. That is if the cable is long enough.

chowhound

Vents are rarely closed all the way on most smokers so why not snake it through a vent. That is if the cable is long enough.

That's a good option, too.
I've only had to close all my vents once, even the top one. It was damn hot here that day and with charcoal, that was my only option to throttle back the heat. All of a sudden a bunch of unlit charcoal must have caught and it started a temp spike that I caught at 250. Some guys snake there's through the top vent, but in a vertical smoker, that kinda screws you if you want to take the top off and set it down. Doc wouldn't have that problem with propane, where you can just turn a knob to drop the temp.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The price is what has kept me away from those thermapens, too.

They are worth the price, Fred, especially for someone who cooks as much meat as you do.

My take-home pay just about makes ends meet, and I haven't bought clothes in maybe 5 years, but even _I_ have a thermopen!

I tell you, you will never regret it!

Lee

chowhound

Well how is it better than the one I posted?
Mine isn't 2 second instant, but it's fast enough for me. I'm a pack rat. I'll use my Taylor digital until they stop making batteries for them (lol). I just didn't see the advantage to the thermapens when someone here posted that they were on sale several months ago.
And besides, my mother gave me mine.... ;^)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are some general estimates on cooking times with a smoker @ a given temperature. I have more but this is what most here might smoke. I do salmon, peppers and other items besides these but it is a good start to have this.

Approximate Smoke Times.

Type of Meat Smoking Temp Time to Complete Finished Temp

Brisket (Sliced) 225 degrees 1.5 hours/pound 180 degrees
Brisket (Pulled) 225 degrees 1.5 hours/pound 195 degrees
Pork Butt (Sliced) 225 degrees 1.5 hours/pound 175 degrees
Pork Butt (Pulled) 225 degrees 1.5 hours/pound 190-205 degrees
Whole Chicken 250 degrees 4 hours (approx.) 167 degrees
Chicken Thighs 250 degrees 1.5 hours 167 degrees
Chicken Quarters 250 degrees 3 hours 167 degrees
Whole Turkey 12# 240 degrees 6.5 hours 170 degrees
Turkey Leg 250 degrees 4 hours 165 degrees
Meat Loaf 250 -300 degrees 3 hours 160 degrees
Spare Ribs 225-240 degrees 6 hours 172 degrees
Baby Back Ribs 225-240 degrees 5 hours 168 degrees
Smoked Corn 225 degrees 1.5 - 2 hours N/A
Smoked Potatoes 225 Degrees 2 - 2.5 Hours N/A

chowhound

That's a pretty cool chart.
I've never smoked corn or potatoes. That's on my to-do list.
I'll guess you still have to prick the spuds? Do you leave the corn in the husk?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I wouldn't know as I've never wanted to smoke potatoes. I do know that to turn for jalapeños (ripened to red on the vine) to Chipotle you smoke with Mesquite at about 190 to 215 degrees for about 2 hours. At that point you can use them or dehydrate them for storing.

chowhound

Oh... I thought that was your chart that you made as you cooked the items.
oops (lol).

And I was kinda wondering about the smoked spuds taste myself. Nothing enough sour cream couldn't fix I imagine.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No not mine but it was part of what was in the owner's manual included with my smoker. I just picked out a few of the items listed that people here might actaully want to try to start out with. I've never smoked a chicken either but have done turkeys for guests which they claimed where perfect. I don't eat foul fowl no matter what so can't say. I simply based it on the fact that out of 3 12# turkeys at one dinner, I only had bones left. I had a steak for that dinner by the way.

Blues Man

I run one of my temperature probes through a potato as a holder. I can smoke for 10-12 hours and the potato is completely black on the outside. My kids will cut it open and eat it like a baked potato. They love it!

Oh... I thought that was your chart that you made as you cooked the items.
oops (lol).

And I was kinda wondering about the smoked spuds taste myself. Nothing enough sour cream couldn't fix I imagine.

Blues Man

Here are mine. They were about $12.00 each on sale. Been using these for over two years and still on the batteries they came with. I use one at the grate level and two in the meats that I am smoking. They are a great investment.

100_0265-1.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i use a cheap maverick that i got for just over $10... it only has one probe but for the price of it, i have many of them. i have a block of wood 2"X2" with a hole drilled out of the center of it so the probe will fit through it.the block then sits on the cooking grate

Maverick ET-808C

they go to a maximum of 482*F...

when looking at different digital thermometers you have to watch because some of them only have settings for done and not actual temp settings.

as for smoking corn and potatoes i do it all the time.. i leave the corn in its husks and also do sweet potatoes on the smoker

now for a replacement guage on my smokers i have and continue to use a cheap stem type deep fryer thermometer or candy thermometer...they come with different sized stems on them and are accurate for me.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I have a water smoker with a top vent (that should always stay open). I put the meat on all the racks, and then place a regular oven thermometer on the grill next to the meat and directly under the smoke vent. Using a flashlight, I can peer inside through the smoke vent (thus never opening the smoker) and see the temp on the gauge.

I’ve got a digital pen thermometer for meat, but for the most part, its all about time. You know the ribs are done after 3.5 – 4 hours at 225. Pork butts take a lot longer, up to 12 hours or more, so the pen thermometer is good for them around the 8 hour mark to see if you have hit the plateau or passed it.

6xvthy.jpg

2n4nwn.jpg

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004S4U5[/ame]

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
for christmas Keltin i am going to buy u a digital thermometer..lol

the only problem with oven thermometers(and i still use them to..lol) is that you have to open up the lid to check the temp, plus when u have digital therms, you have more toys to play with..lol

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for all the info guys. :thumb: :D

I can't wait to get the smoker and give it a try. :D