I would like to share an idea.

The Tourist

Banned
As you know, many of us would like to build this forum into an arena of great interest and participation. Additionally, this creates the possibility of melding some of the best professional tinkers in the USA with many of you foodies and chefs.

In effect, you and only the NC members can garner information usually available to only cordon bleu chefs and members of four star restaurants. I've even offered to polish a knife for Sattie at no cost to demonstrate the services you may not know about.

Well, I think the tinkers might need a new place to play.

One of the mods at KnifeForums has asked the professional tinkers to "dumb down" our discussions of sharpening, inferring that our contemporary discourse is "too zen."

Frankly, I'm not going to change or lessen the way I think, sharpen, sell, relate or wash my hands by one scintilla because a mod finds it easier to regulate. I got that shabby treatment once in a cooking forum. That very mod is now struggling through a sharpening regimen I would have given him for free.

The discussion of new innovations, prototypes, ideas and ideals will go somewhere. Why not here? And any member who simply reads such information will benefit, in education, understanding and the ownership of the best cutlery the professionals can provide.

If the discussion is stifled as unwanted, and if our exchanges are parsed, would you members feel that such posts and threads are welcomed here?

We may need a sub-section entitled "Professional Tinkers." We do joke around. We've known each other for many years.

There probably are less than ten professional waterstone tinkers in the entire USA, with one in Canada. I know most of them.

We may need a place to play.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chico,
NCT can be your playground. I love the idea. And as you can see we need the action here.
What can I do to make things better for you?
I can create a professional tinkers forum under the tools of the trade. I could even divide that up further if you like.
I took in a snowcat crowd over on Forums Forums. www.forumsforums.com/3_9/ will show you how the snowcat forums are set up.
I'm flexible and appreciate the chance to be your guys playground!!!!!!

The Tourist

Banned
I am in the process of contacting the tinkers now.

We should be communicating with chefs and foodies, anyway. And you cooks should have access to us.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome!!!!! :thumb: Let me know what I can do to help! :D

If you have special smilies that go with the trade I'll be happy to add them for you, for ease of use by all.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I am in the process of contacting the tinkers now.

We should be communicating with chefs and foodies, anyway. And you cooks should have access to us.

Awesome!!!!! :thumb: Let me know what I can do to help! :D

If you have special smilies that go with the trade I'll be happy to add them for you, for ease of use by all.

Glad you guys are moving in.

Is this going to be like moving up to the fishing camp for the weekend? I bring 12 worms and 6 cases of beer? Or was that 6 worms and 12 cases of beer?

Another question, you have enough cardboard boxes and newsprint to wrap stuff in?

Last question, is this the deluxe move package or the economy model?

(Chico, you might recognize the photos!)

Attachments

• tinker_deluxe move.jpg
    tinker_deluxe move.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 132
  • tinker_economy_move.jpg
    tinker_economy_move.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 160

Nica

Looks like the truck I used last time I moved! ;)

Just a note, I still have some of my "signiture" wine that I will gladly share.

And, it still keeps the flies off the food. :whistle:

The Tourist

Banned
(Chico, you might recognize the photos!)

No, not really. All tinkers are millionaires. Swimming pools, movie stars.

Actually, I am worried about one thing, and I might as well get it off my chest. Most of the cooks and chefs I know are very nice, polite people. All of the tinkers I know are *ahem* not.

We are the clown princes of the service industry. In fact, for tinkers, having a horse-thief show up in the research of your family tree is kind of a cool thing. I have an old relative who looked at Civil War battlefields--the dead and the uprooted trees--and made a profit by shipping the bodies home in freshly made coffins.

Not too far from rubbing a knife with a wet rock.

When we come to this neighborhood with info on cutlery and to showcase our talents for refined polished edges, not everyone is going to be tickled to death to see us.

Yes, we make expensive Japanese knives slice like lightsabers. However, many times a new client is baffled by their first look at us, and the fact we are "craftsmen."

Hunter S. Thompson once used a phrase in one of his books that cleverly comments on this dichotomy. He wrote: "It's hard to imagine such a [device], so nearly mechanically perfect...in the hands of a maniac."

We know a lot about knives. Almost as much as having bizarre fun...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chico,
I understand you are trying to be as completely up front as you can ...and I'll have to admit, the more I hear the more I like you. You are my kind of people.
But let me be up front with you. I'm not a chef. I'm an IT guy / a computer Doctor. I like having fun and fooling around.
We have a couple chefs on here but neither are very active at this point ... but the forums have been slow. My favorite hobby is boating and with the summer coming to an end I will spend more time and money promoting this forum in hopes of drawing more members. If I get potential new member here and there is hardly any posts ..they won't join. If they see some joking around they'll know this is a place to share info, make friends and have some fun. That in a nutshell is my goal for all my forums. I hope you guys will come along for the ride. :thumb: :D

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
If we're going for full disclosure I need to let you know a few things about me.

First, I'm not a chef either. I cook stuff but my best thing by far is eating :hide:

I'm a retired communications engineer and do a little consulting work. (no consultant jokes please!)

My hobbies are ham radio and firearms.

We have two horses and 6 cocker spaniels. We breed and show the cockers in conformation, agility, and obedience. Almost forgot Mr Bean, the beta.

Jim

Locutus

Jim,

Thank you for the welcome! :clap:

I'm not a professional sharpener, just an advanced novice *(is that an oxymoron? :ermm: )

But I do love to bake and cook, not a chef though, just a fat guy! :biggrin:

I am also a Borg of the Hive and a denizen of the Delta quadrant! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Retired LEO, lifelong gun, knife and food enthusiast! :w00t:

I love good steel, and I'm an unabashed, and unapologetic steel snob!

(Also a refugee from another forum like Chico and JoeC )

And if I inadvertently post something that anyone here considers offensive, it will be unintentional, and PLEASE bring it to my attention immediately.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good Locutus. Welcome to NCT. I think you'll fit right in here too. :D

I have to ask, what does your member name mean? lo cut US? I'm trying to makes something of it and nothing I can think of fits.

Locutus

Sounds good Locutus. Welcome to NCT. I think you'll fit right in here too. :D

I have to ask, what does your member name mean? lo cut US? I'm trying to makes something of it and nothing I can think of fits.

I see you're not a "trekker." :sorry::sorry:

Locutus of Borg was one of the bad aliens on Star Trek. Actually, he was Captain Jean-Luc Picard, who had been "assimilated" by the Borg, who were a half human/half machine "cyborg" race. :sick: