Questions about grilling on cedar planks.

buckytom

Grill Master
my wife loves a local restaurant's grilled cedar plank salmon. they grill the fish on extremely thin pieces of cedar which are almost like a veneer more than a plank. you could roll them up along the grain like a piece of construction paper.

does anyone know where i can get these thin pieces of cedar or alder? all i can find are 1/4" thick planks, not the thin veneers.

are the 1/4" planks reuseable? how many times? do they need to be treated or cleaned in any special way to be reused?

tia.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You can get the 1/4” planks at home Depot. I’d prefer those over the super thin veneer type since part of the cooking process is to flame the edges to add smoke. A thin veneer on my grill would “flame on” like Johnny from the Fantastic Four and turn my salmon into charcoal.

The 1/4” are more forgiving and make it easier to use these for what they are designed….to char and smoke a bit to add flavor. And they are reusable. You can get 3-4 uses easily before the edges are burnt too far in to be of safe use.

Love2"Q"

at the lowes near me .. they sell cedar sheets ..
you can use them to wrap food in ..
never used them ..

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Bucky - I don't know your hobies, if you do wood working and have a bandsaw, you can just get cedar lumber and resaw it. No treating there.

As others said, the planks are reusable. I have read of someone, I can't remember who, using apple planks as well. I think the apple would be a great variation, I just don't know where to get them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Another wood plank they use for fish is alder, especially with salmon.

Mr. Green Jeans

Out here the groceries (Safeway) sell cedar planks at the seafood counter for about $8. I buy untreated cedar actual dimension 1/2" x 5 1/4" rough on both sides in 8' lengths for $3. I cut them into 16" lengths just the right size for the two of us. The key when grilling on planks is to soak the cedar 12 hours or overnight. I have reused the planks by rinsing with boiling water and scrubbing with a brush. After 3 grilling they start to get pretty charred and become kindling.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks, everyone. :a1:

k, i thought about the thinner sheets "flaming on". my guess is this restaurant uses a salamander or some kind of grill/broiler thing. the edges char just a little bit, but it gives a nice flavor to the fish.

i never thought of cutting my own planks. great idea. :tiphat:

Steak4Me

Cigar boxes are made of good Spanish cedar. Since I smoke about a half boxes a year, I just break them down and soak the paper off of them. The brand I smoke also comes with a very thin (about 1/32") sheet of cedar between the layers. I've never used that for grilling, but now you have me interested.

buckytom

Grill Master
hey, you know, that's exactly it, steak. that thin piece of cedar in a cigar box. the next time i'm in a cigar shop that hand rolls their own i'll have to ask.

although, i don't think i'd want to use one that's been in contact with tobacco for too long.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
although, i don't think i'd want to use one that's been in contact with tobacco for too long.
OMG - I would! A steak that has tobacco flavor? To a smoker like me - that sounds great. (Hmmmm, a cigarette that tastes like steak would be great, too.)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I love cigars, Mr. President!

j/k I definitely enjoy a good cigar, BT. But I only have one with good friends and strong spirits. Do you enjoy cigars, BT?

buckytom

Grill Master
absolutely. if i had to choose, i smoke long cigars with a thin ring. i love macanudo portofinos.

i have a real cuban cohiba that i'm hanging on to for the right occasion.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
We should get together with Buzz sometime - he has access to good cubans, too. I've only smoked a real cuban cigar once, but it was definitely memorable. I'd love the opportunity to do it again.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've bought both the papers and the planks at various grocery stores. Publix has the planks and Harris Teeter has the papers. I'm sure others in your area have them if you ask.

Remember, that when you use them, you're supposed to soak the wood for an hour or so before hand. Then you lightly oil the plank before putting your food on it. I use them for fish all the time.

If you aren't firing up the grill, but still want a smoke flavor, I use a plank, put it on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven. Everyone swears it tastes like it came off the grill!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've bought both the papers and the planks at various grocery stores. Publix has the planks and Harris Teeter has the papers. I'm sure others in your area have them if you ask.

Remember, that when you use them, you're supposed to soak the wood for an hour or so before hand. Then you lightly oil the plank before putting your food on it. I use them for fish all the time.

If you aren't firing up the grill, but still want a smoke flavor, I use a plank, put it on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven. Everyone swears it tastes like it came off the grill!
Really? In the oven? This sounds very good.

SS, I don't care for fish but my family really loves it. Mostly, they just order it when eating out. But I would love to make fish on a plank in the oven for them. Would you have a simple, starter recipe you could share with me? I am a complete novice at fish, having only made salmon in little foil pouches a couple of times in my life. Thanks in advance, SS.

High Cheese

Saucier
I got mine at Chef Central on Rt 17 in Paramus.

The restaurant probobly uses the thin variety so they don't have to spend all that money on thicker planks. But still add cedar. Like Vera, I would check restaurant supply.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Really? In the oven? This sounds very good.

SS, I don't care for fish but my family really loves it. Mostly, they just order it when eating out. But I would love to make fish on a plank in the oven for them. Would you have a simple, starter recipe you could share with me? I am a complete novice at fish, having only made salmon in little foil pouches a couple of times in my life. Thanks in advance, SS.

Salmon is very good on a plank. Place the cedar planks in water to soak while preparing and marinating the fish.

Maple Bourbon Planked Salmon

Mix the following marinade in a flat dish:

1/2 cup real maple syrup
2 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp bourbon
1/2 tsp grated ginger

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cut 1 pound of salmon crosswise into 4 serving pieces. Place the pieces skin side UP in the marinade. (If you get too much syrup on the skin, it will create a sticking problem). Set it aside for 20-30 minutes. (no longer or it will get a little mushy).

Dry the plank and lightly coat it with oil. Place the fish skin side DOWN on the planks. (you can probably fit all 4 pieces on one plank.)

Place the plank on a rimmed baking sheet (to catch the drips) in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon.

If you like it extra 'glazed' (I do), then when you put the fish in the oven, pour the leftover marinade in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil to reduce it and thicken it a bit. Baste the fish with this once or twice while cooking.

The process is the same if you put it on the grill instead of the oven just don't use the baking sheet.

Sorry, I don't have pics of this one.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
You can buy cedar in veneer and most thicknesses in any good woodworking store, or by internet. Either way, it will be cheaper than in a cooking environment. I'ml not sure if you want the aromatic or standard. I would use non aromatic. This is available as cedar siding in most any lumber yard.
Spanish cedar, FYI is not a cedar, but is a mahogany. I believe it is used in humidors because it has an odor that keeps some bugs away.
Anyway, planking fish serves the same purpose as smoking, and any wood used for smoking should create an interesting flavor variation for fish.

buckytom

Grill Master
awesome! thanks cheeks, ss, and bigjim.

i will be on the lookout for either the thin sheets or the planks, and will report results.

i think i may try to cut a plank from some of the larger branches of my apple tree in my yard.

High Cheese

Saucier
BT, I have a resaw setup on my bandsaw. I can cut up to 12" wide. 14" Rockwell, 6" riser w/Kreg fence.
smirk.gif

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, impressive, cheeks.

i was thinking of going a little more neanderthal and using my sven saw for length, then a hatchet to split out a plank along the grain.

High Cheese

Saucier
I just bought some of these planks from Lowes. The DW loves salmon and I need to figure out some different flavoring for it since I only like it raw or steamed. Anything else and my teeth stick when I chew which is pretty annoying. lol

I was just going to use the recipe on the package unless someone else has another quick one. I think the one on the back is some sort of spice rub. SS, I'd try yours but I'm just clean out of bourbon right now. The soaking overnight is good to know.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Anything else and my teeth stick when I chew which is pretty annoying. lol

ME TOO!!!!! Man, I hate that sensation!

Everytime I try to describe it to someone else, they look at me blankly, so I thought I was the only one!

Lee

Mr. Green Jeans

HC, soak the planks overnight in water. I weigh mine down with a clean brick. I do fillets a couple of ways: lime juice, fresh grated ginger S&P, or maple syrup S&P.

Steak4Me

I never had that sticky teeth sensation, but then I don't use those marinades or sauces. I use the same dry rub on salmon that I use on steak and it turns out fantastic.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I found a big difference based on what Salmon you use. Wild caught King Salmon tastes way better.