Comfort food

Galvatron

So what do you do for comfort when in pain???

I am currently having one of my back sagas which has now been happening for the past 13 years..i wont grumble as i have a healthy life apart from that popping up time to time but kinda lose appetite and hit the comfort zone.

My comfort food is chocolate,milk with added nuts,maybe fruit and nut it helps soften the blow with a glass of milk.

Whats yours??

Saliha

Anything works if it has enough chocolate.

If pain is very bad, I wouldn´t say no to glass of good old Scotch too, but not very often of course.

But chocolate.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome back, Galvatron!

Sorry to hear you have back trouble! Mine flares up from time to time, and all I want to do is just sit back with a heating pad.

Can't think of much that appeals to me when I'm in pain, actually.

Lee

Saliha

Oops did you mean in this thread just a physical pain? Then few aspirins to me.

Chocolate is good for the bad mood, I meant.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
potato & gravy. or bread w/ brown gravy. scads of black pepper. & full-fat-milk.

Johnny West

There are so many options my mom made that were comfort food. I like what luvs said but would add roast beef and bread - hot beef sandwich with lots of gravy topped with S&P.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
A good bowl of chili.
Beef short ribs.
Pot roast in the crock pot.

Those are my comfort foods. Ibuprofen, one of the above and a little Jack Daniels or Bushmills. Helps

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If I'm feeling puny, I like Campbell's chicken noodle soup or a pkg of Ramen noodles.

My mother was the best comfort food cook in the world. When we would visit, she would make chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, and some of her wayyyy overcooked green beans for dinner. She also made my husband homemade biscuits with sausage gravy each visit. I'm not a breakfast person, so I just drank my black coffee and watched them both chow down.

Chicken and dumplings says comfort food to me too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was with all of you until Sass' baked beans on toast. LOL!

Not that I wouldn't eat it, since I like both things, but it's a new one to me. :)

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was with all of you until Sass' baked beans on toast. LOL!

Not that I wouldn't eat it, since I like both things, but it's a new one to me. :)

Lee

Simply heat up a can of baked beans. Add some butter and black pepper, pour them over buttered toast.
Make sure you eat it with a knife and fork, or you won't be eating it like a proper Brit.
:smile:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
When I think of comfort foods, I think of braised short ribs, lamb or veal shanks, or country back ribs, All nothing more than glorified stews.

Tasty, filling, fill the house with good smells for a week.

Johnny West

I know growing up in Iowa my mom would make real baked beans from scratch using the hambone. I would butter a piece of Wonder Bread and make bean sandwiches. I never knew it was a Brit thing but then being of Brit ancestry it explains it.

I'd love to be able to duplicate Campbell's Bean Soup - never tried, though.

Having re-read Galv's original post, when I'm sick, it has to be chicken soup. I love chicken soup.

Johnny West

When I think of comfort foods, I think of braised short ribs, lamb or veal shanks, or country back ribs, All nothing more than glorified stews.

Tasty, filling, fill the house with good smells for a week.

Some of the best French comfort foods I've had are just as you describe. Thank you Julia.