Chestnuts

Do you roast your own, use canned or packaged? Planning on incorporating chestnuts into my dressing this year. Any recipes for chestnut stuffing/dressing, & other creative ideas for using these gems?

I used to buy a samll bag of hot chestnuts from street vendors in NYC. I miss my hot chestnuts.

Me too!!! Xmas in NY was nothing without overpriced hot chestnuts from the street vendors - lol!

Now that I'm in VA, I actually inherited my own chestnut tree (Chinese, most likely), & usually get a good enough harvest to roast for in-hand eating or to add to stuffing. I never use a real recipe - just saute up some chopped onion, celery, & sometimes mushrooms & add to a Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix along with warmed chicken broth. Stir in chopped roasted or toasted chestnuts & sometimes a dash of cognac & bake until heated through & a crust forms. Sometimes I sprinkle the top with a little grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I love using chestnuts for holiday dishes, but I have a h*ll of a time peeling them. Score the shell.....boiling water bath.....Still tears up my fingers getting the skin off.

Anyone know an easy way to tackle this?

Yeah, it's a bitch. And if you get them from your own tree like I do, you have the porcupine outer shell that's even more lethal to deal with - lol! I've never found a really easy way to shell chestnuts apart from buying them shelled in the jar.

I love using chestnuts for holiday dishes, but I have a h*ll of a time peeling them. Score the shell.....boiling water bath.....Still tears up my fingers getting the skin off.

Anyone know an easy way to tackle this?

I hear ya. I'm concerned about any buggies. As I recall, you cut an "X" & roast, then peel. I would prefer making/roasting them from scratch, but I've noticed they do sell roasted & peeled (Kosher - who knew) & canned.

Me too!!! Xmas in NY was nothing without overpriced hot chestnuts from the street vendors - lol!

Now that I'm in VA, I actually inherited my own chestnut tree (Chinese, most likely), & usually get a good enough harvest to roast for in-hand eating or to add to stuffing. I never use a real recipe - just saute up some chopped onion, celery, & sometimes mushrooms & add to a Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix along with warmed chicken broth. Stir in chopped roasted or toasted chestnuts & sometimes a dash of cognac & bake until heated through & a crust forms. Sometimes I sprinkle the top with a little grated Parmesan or Swiss cheese.

Back when, I lived in NY, the roasted chestnut vendor/guy sold a bag of hot roasted chestnuts for about 25 cents (on 34th st. on the way to the subsway - across the street from Chock Full O' Nuts). I've noticed the price of walnuts has gone up, as well. Would like to do more with them - i.e. salad, ravioli etc.

Back when, I lived in NY, the roasted chestnut vendor/guy sold a bag of hot roasted chestnuts for about 25 cents (on 34th st. on the way to the subsway - across the street from Chock Full O' Nuts). I've noticed the price of walnuts has gone up, as well. Would like to do more with them - i.e. salad, ravioli etc.

Twenty-five cents!!!!! You do realize that you're dating yourself CC.:wink:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Already peeled in a can or a jar? I've never seen those! What an idea!

I'm going to look for them today. Any idea what aisle they'd be in?

(I thought we had a slapping self in forehead smilie?)

Already peeled in a can or a jar? I've never seen those! What an idea!

I'm going to look for them today. Any idea what aisle they'd be in?

(I thought we had a slapping self in forehead smilie?)

I have heard about them in a can; but recently noticed they come packaged (roasted & peeled). I'm heading out to investigate. Just ask the manager to point you in the right direction. Best guess, is in the ethnic dept - maybe near the water chestnuts.

Here ya go :pat:

Last edited:

abi_csi

I prefer to roast my own chestnuts (even though they're a pain to shell sometimes) I've used packets of chestnuts before and they're definitely good enough to use in baking.

Rustpot

Chestnuts! The nut that cost. I have never cooked with them, BUT! I do love chestnuts on a campfire or the fireplace. If cooked just right they have a wonderful butter taste to them.
BUT! The cost for 10 chestnuts, is like $3 or 4 Bucks.

I knew a house that had chestnuts trees growing in the yard. Each year around December the oweners would put out a sign, “ chestnuts for sale” and they were cheap.
The people sold the house and the new people would not sell them. :sorry:

I did a search on growing chestnuts, and found that back in the 30's chestnuts were grown here in Florida, but a blight come through and killed them all. Bummer! :cry:

NOW! If I want chestnuts [in the shell] I'll have to pay 3 or 4 bucks for 10 of them.:furious:

bunyap

There are not many places growing chestnuts. Years ago the trees ranged up and down the east coast and they were indeed killed off by a blight. There is a large grower in Ohio who sells quality nuts and other items including chestnut flour. I can't remember the name, but you could google him. Don't hesitate in ordering though as the crop usually sells out quickly as they are extremely popular.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

NOW! If I want chestnuts [in the shell] I'll have to pay 3 or 4 bucks for 10 of them.:furious:

That does sound steep, Rust, and I guess it might not be feasible to roast them for a crowd, but chestnuts are really rich, hearty snacks.

I only like to have a few at a time.

Lee