Need new pasta pot, help !

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I have buried two in our lifetime; they are always in use and have died of natural causes. We have to replace ours and every day is a hardship as we are big Carboholics.

The Farberware we loved is no longer .. they make something else in an 8 qt size but I don't know if the handles lock - does anyone know if they do? (We don't want the kind with the strainer.)

Thanks all !!!!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
all the ones i have been researching that have the locked lid have strainer lids.

the only other with locking lids are pressure cookers

There's a Pasta Pro on amazon (1 new starting at about $8.00):

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U4O70W/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller[/ame]=

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

some bad reviews for this product..really thin material, paint peels..save your money..lol

http://www.infomercialads.com/kitchen/pastapro.html

i have looked at every store i can think of for a locking non strainer stock pot but have been unable to find one:sad:...all made now have the strainer lid..i am going to walmart later today and i will check it out to see if they have one that is not online..

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I actually had that pot and the big one "went" right away. I still have the 2nd, littler one .. then we graduated to a Farberware which I had until last night. It stood up for years to heavy use.

I also have an All-Clad steamer, the kind with the insert, but it takes up a lot of room in the dishwasher and ds, the main pasta eater, says he "hates" it. However, it's paid for and it's in the house already, so we may wing it for a while.

I use my dutch oven (for pasta, potatoes etc - in large quantities), & drain in a colander. If you need a bigger pot or locking capabilities, you might try a restaurant supply store

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have an All-Clad 7.5 quart pasta pot in stainless steel. I've had it for years now and love it.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Necessity is truly the Mother of Invention.

I didn't buy anything new. DS continued to use the pot, because he prefers it to the one with the insert, despite the fact that I didn't even wash it in the dishwasher for him.

2 days ago, he proclaimed loudly that He Fixed the Pasta Pot !!!

So, what's a girl to do? He prefers it, it's paid for and even fixed and it fits in the cabinet, so I washed it and we continue on.

Phiddlechik

What is a pasta pot? I just use a big stock pot and a strainer. I've never used a lid when boiling pasta. Why would you want a lid for boiling pasta? granted, when bringing the water to a boil, I will sometimes put the lid on so it boils faster. But, never when the pasta has gone into the water.
and never put it in the dishwasher. even if I could. There are always a couple of things I hand wash, so fill the pot with hot soapy water and use that in the sink to wash the few items that don't go in the machine.

Wart

Banned
We have a 8 qt (?) revere ware, boil it up in that, strain the pasta through a no-name colander which has a spherical bottom, and the colander is 1/2 inch or so less in diameter and an inch or so taller than the pot so I set the colander inside the pot and cover it with the pots lid (after applying oil or butter or something).

The colander drips into the pot, the lid lets out steam but not so much steam thae pasta dries out.

It works out so well I can't imagine a pot designed for pasta that could work better, not inclined to spend money to find out.

I'll take that back, I got my Robo Coup Cuisinart for $1 at an auction, I come across a designed for pasta pot for the same price I might give it a shot.

This makes me think of rice cookers, I use a old from the '40's or 50's Eckoware pot with lid that makes great rice over a dinky 7k btu burner as well as over a 28k btu burner.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I LOVE using a pasta pot with the strainer to make chicken stock - throw the chicken and veggies etc in the strainer in the pot, add water simmer till it's stock. Lift out the strainer and you are left with just stock!! No fishing everything out and straining the stock!!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
P'Chick,

I understand your confusion. I had to Google it to find out myself. Now I understand that the idea makes sense.

It's a large pot with an insert, which if full of small holes (the insert, not the pot). The idea is that when the pasta is done, you can lift out the insert containing the pasta, and leave the water behind. Depending on the distance from your stove to your sink, it could help avoid spill & burns carrying a pot full of boiling water to the strainer.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Pacific-Piece-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B0015QVYOE/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1292378982&sr=1-10"]Here's a picture that I found on Amazon[/ame].

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Right, it's either one or the other.

I don't find mine big enough for soup, though. It's great for noodles, even a double batch.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Right, it's either one or the other.

I don't find mine big enough for soup, though. It's great for noodles, even a double batch.
This is the one I have:

Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 12qt Pasta/Steamer Set (<Click)

MfgStyle: 77-412
SKU: 8627900501
RETAIL: $150.00
PRICE: $79.99​

12 Qt. Pasta/Steamer Set (4-Pc.). The kitchens of France were the inspiration behind the elegant Cuisinart® Chef's Classic™ Stainless Cookware Collection. Chef's Classic™ features 18/10 stainless steel and pure aluminum encapsulated in the base for fast and even heating. Guaranteed with a limited lifetime warranty. 4-Piece set includes:
  • 12qt stockpot with lid
  • Large pasta strainer insert
  • Smaller vegetable steamer insert
I bought mine about 6 years ago at a lower price plus on sale plus used a coupon. So I got it for a really good price around $35.00?

Attachments

• pasta pot.jpg
    pasta pot.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 153

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Mine is smaller and I paid MUCH more.
YIKES SORRY!! I use mine for stock mostly not mush for pasta LOL If I am making a large batch of pasta like lasagna noodles or large shells for stuffing I use this pot. Otherwise it is my chicken stock pot. I used to do the balancing act over a large metal mixing bowl with a collander than back to the pot and I spilled a lot and made a big mess!! This is much easier. I also put my peppercorns in a tea ball so they are also easy to remove (no one like chomping unexpectantly on a whole peppercorn).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use mine to steam lobster, vegetables, stocks, soups etc. I have even used it for making mashed potatoes to boiling eggs. Now mine as I said is 7.5qt but have had 8 qt and 12 qt in the past and found them just bigger than I needed for 2 people most of the time but 7.5 large enough to handle many more if needed. All-Clad will pass on to your children if cared for properly. They do make a non induction type stainless that is cheaper in 8 qt.