Blackened Fish

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Emeril tells you to, "Heat a large cast iron skillet over very high heat until it is very hot and almost forming ash in the skillet bottom, about 6 to 9 minutes."

Then he has you dip the fish filets in melted butter and then into his recipe for Essence before adding to the hot skillet.

http://www.emerils.com/127458/blackened-red-fish-emeril’s-quick-cabbage-and-lemon-butter

20140108-KTN_Blackened_Redfish_and_Quick_Cabbage.JPG

Photo Credit: Emerils.com

I take a little bit different approach since I'm cooking in my home kitchen and really don't want to have to deal with or worry about flare ups and a lot of smoke. I don't use all that butter either.

I just season the filets with Essence. I keep it in an old Lawry's salt bottle, and it stores well. I probably cut the cayenne a little when I mixed mine.

Recipe for Essence:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

I add a little butter and olive oil to a skillet and start the fish over med-high heat to get the color. Flip it, let it get a little color on the other side, flip again, turn the heat down and cook until it's to my liking.

Mine:

BlackenedCatfishwithCornTomatoSalad.jpg

Anybody else want to share your method?

chilefarmer

I cook mine out side on the grill. It does create a lot of smoke. I have a flat cast iron griddle that I cook on. This is the recipe I use for most all blackened fish. I have bought some ready mixed seasoning. CF

Blackened Tilapia
4-6 Tilapia
2 Tbls. Paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon pepper
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp ground red pepper
1.5 tsp. dried, crushed basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. unsalted butter, melted

Heat iron skillet on high 5 minutes. Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter and coat with seasonings. Place fillets in hot skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side. Makes 4 servings

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks wonderful, Cooksie!

Yeah, CF, I think blackening outside is a great idea. Since the last time I tried it inside, I set off the smoke alarms .... not just for my townhouse, but for the whole 8 units, and the Fire Dept. came up.

I haven't had blackened fish in a long time - love it, though!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like the addition of the lemon pepper, CF. I use that a lot too on fish.

Q-Sis...I know it wasn't funny at the time, but I did get a chuckle out of that little (thankfully not dangerous) fiasco. I can just hear your neighbors teasing you.....Oh Lee, when are you going to cook some more of that blackened fish :lol:.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Blackening fish is a great way to vary our normal way of cooking. I remember when blackened Red Fish became the rage - soon everyone was doing it. :)

chilefarmer

Cooksie, I to use lemon pepper a lot, I buy the no salt. Just because I don't like to pay high price for salt. CF