ISO First Smoker

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I should know better than to open a can-o-worms like this without doing all the research myself, but I'll stick my neck out and hope this doesn't get too opinionated or ugly. You guys have been pretty civil up to this point, but I'll watch it in case we have to get a mod to pull the thread:lol:

I own a propane grill and would like to get a smoker for various things (meats primarily). I do not want to use the grill as a smoker because I believe that to be very inefficient use of propane fuel, especially if smoking for hours & hours. Also, I don't expect to be smoking for any large crowds of people, so the unit should not require a 4x4 vehicle to move it around. That being said, I would like some recommendations as to what units I should begin looking at, and weather charcoal or electric would be the better route to go for both efficiency and taste.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, Joe, I have two Weber Smoky Mountain smokers which have served me well in competitions and in the back yard for the last 10 or more years.

They do require some learning of fire control, so although I think they are easy to use, not as easy as a gas-powered or electric unit. Any wood-fueled or charcoal-fueled unit requires more watching and playing around, but a lot of people like that about them ("Sorry, honey, I can't mow the lawn - gotta watch the smoker"). Actually, WSM's don't take much watching once you learn how to use them, but guys still use that excuse.

WSM's dissemble easily and are portable. They don't take up a lot of room, they cook a lot of meat for family and friends, and the original (18-inch diameter) costs about $250. This year, there is a new 22 1/2" version which costs about $400, I think.

This guy, Chris Allingham, has built an entire, comprehensive website around the virtues of this smoker http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tour.html

There are plenty of other options, if you want to go in a different direction. Do you have any models in mind?

Lee

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
There are plenty of other options, if you want to go in a different direction. Do you have any models in mind?

Lee

Nothing in mind yet. I'll check out the website you referenced and start there. Thanks!

chowhound

I went with the bullet style because of space constrictions. Mine sits on my porch in a corner and doesn't take up much room at all. And after looking at the various models, I went with the WSM. It just seemed like a much better unit than the Brinkman that Bam did two threads on modifying. (Very good threads btw).
And while I LOVE my propane grill, I wanted to go more "purist" for my smoker, but those first couple burns were murder on me trying to figure out the heat control thing. I'll play devil's advocate here, too.... there is only one store by me that carries plain Kingsford charcoal year round. The Walmart by me only has the match light (chemical) stuff. I can cerainly see the benefits of electric or propane smokers if you want to Q in the winter unless you have a nearby source for charcoal. Or go the wood/firebox smoker route.

BTW, I 've only seen threads get pulled when people turn a joke into a platform for their own political views......

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
pm sent joe

I should know better than to open a can-o-worms like this without doing all the research myself, but I'll stick my neck out and hope this doesn't get too opinionated or ugly. You guys have been pretty civil up to this point, but I'll watch it in case we have to get a mod to pull the thread:lol:

I own a propane grill and would like to get a smoker for various things (meats primarily). I do not want to use the grill as a smoker because I believe that to be very inefficient use of propane fuel, especially if smoking for hours & hours. Also, I don't expect to be smoking for any large crowds of people, so the unit should not require a 4x4 vehicle to move it around. That being said, I would like some recommendations as to what units I should begin looking at, and weather charcoal or electric would be the better route to go for both efficiency and taste.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ll agree with the others, you just can’t go wrong with a WSM. Easy to use, clean, move, etc. If you plan on doing more than 2-3 slabs of ribs at one, you may want to also invest in a rib rack/stand.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a propane smoker and find it real efficient with the gas. I would also probably go with electric as well as all either the propane or electric do is set the cooking temp and burn the wood one uses. Mine buy the way will work with charcoal as well but I've never tried it as to me charcoal is too much problem when cooking temps are as important as in smoking foods. Oh and I get a good couple of months out of the small bottles of propane during the summer when I smoke a couple of times a week. I also have an in door smoker by Cameron that works well in the oven or on the stove top. With that I use the wood pellets which I hear is all they allow in California most of the time.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What kind of propane smoker do you have Joe? I'm also interested but suspect i would go propane or electtric over charcoal.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mine says it is a Smoky Hollow but these style all pretty much look and work the same. Mine has more racks than the one show in the picture however. The pictures below are the two I have and use. The top is the Smoky Hollow propane while the bottom is a Cameron Multi Rooster which is really two pans for roasting and a plate that fits the bottom for the pellets. It works well also in the house.

Attachments

• Smoke Hollow Smoker.jpg
    Smoke Hollow Smoker.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 90

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my go to smoker is a masterbuilt 7 n 1 smoker..

7in1.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve been very tempted to get one of those. I’ve got a Masterbuilt Triple Crown charcoal smoker that is excellent. However, I’ve been tempted by the ways of gas many times. :lol:

GrillinFool

If you have the fundage, then the 22" WSM is my vote as well. No matter what I would go Vert if I were you. I'm thinking of picking up that little Brinkman Vert that Bam just got and do some mods for small smoke sessions...But that's just because I don't have the $400 to spend on the WSM. I'm a big fan of Weber.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh so many choices. I saw the Brinkman Gourmet (electric) at Home Depot, but I was not very impressed. They did not have the charcoal or propane in that model to compare, so I went off to some other places looking. Not many retailers are stocking smokers, or may be too early to have them in. Right now I'm looking at Wal-Mart (WSM for $261) and Target (Masterbuilt 7 in 1 for $140). Will make a decision soon.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Oh so many choices. I saw the Brinkman Gourmet (electric) at Home Depot, but I was not very impressed. They did not have the charcoal or propane in that model to compare, so I went off to some other places looking. Not many retailers are stocking smokers, or may be too early to have them in. Right now I'm looking at Wal-Mart (WSM for $261) and Target (Masterbuilt 7 in 1 for $140). Will make a decision soon.

if you have a gander mountain near you, masterbuilt 7n1 is $100

you can also check out these locations... Sports Authority,Gander Mountain, Bass pro Shops.

i also have a few friends that bought their smokers at Cosco and Sams Club