Here's my smoker...

AllenOK

Those of you from DC may remember me posting this. This is the "Char-Griller", with the side fire box attached. I can easily fit two, maybe three smaller, turkeys in the main cooking chamber with the fire in the SFB. Of course, I'd have to rotate the birds around as they cooked, to keep them out of the hotspot.

I can also cook an entire 10 lb bag of chicken leg-and-thigh quarters, and still have a little room left on the "warming" rack above the cooking grid.

I've never tried to see how many pork butts I can put into that thing. Probably six, maybe eight.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4053/2007grillopenzy3.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
very nice...have u done any mods to it?

2007grillopenzy3.jpg

AllenOK

Just added the SFB. I've thought about ordering/buying the rotisserie attachment. I just noticed last week that Char-Griller has come out with side attachment for a propane burner. I haven't done any custom mod's, nor do I know of any.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Just added the SFB. I've thought about ordering/buying the rotisserie attachment. I just noticed last week that Char-Griller has come out with side attachment for a propane burner. I haven't done any custom mod's, nor do I know of any.

heres some mods i found on another website i frequent

put stove gasket in between the sfb and cc and put a basket in

Then put gasket around the cookin chamber

and then fabricated a baffle out of 1/4 inch steel and used copper flashing for mini extension

Then installed 2 thermometors

AllenOK

I like the baffle idea. You know what would be better? Using the idea in the picture with the small pipe coming out of the SFB, just taken further. Use metal pipe. Extend the pipe so that it runs a racetrack around the base of the CC, but far enough away that you can still remove the firegrate if/when. Drill holes in said pipe to let smoke out. This should really even out temperatures in the CC. Of course, that's all theory on my part.

AllenOK

Looks similar to my New Braunfels Hondo. What are you cooking with?

For grilling, I use a mix of lump charcoal and briquettes. I like the easy of lighting and temp of lump, but the longevity of briquettes.

When I smoke, I start the fire completely with lump, about 3/4 of a chimney full. Newspaper to start it with. Once the charcoal has caught, I'll use a mix of oak and pecan, cured for one year. The wood was free, courtesy Mother Nature, from last winter's ice storm.

GrillinFool

Those of you from DC may remember me posting this. This is the "Char-Griller", with the side fire box attached. I can easily fit two, maybe three smaller, turkeys in the main cooking chamber with the fire in the SFB. Of course, I'd have to rotate the birds around as they cooked, to keep them out of the hotspot.

I can also cook an entire 10 lb bag of chicken leg-and-thigh quarters, and still have a little room left on the "warming" rack above the cooking grid.

I've never tried to see how many pork butts I can put into that thing. Probably six, maybe eight.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4053/2007grillopenzy3.jpg

I have the exact same grill. I modded mine with disposable tin pans and have added a rotisserie. The grill with the fireside box isn't really made for the rotisserie. I had to take off the slat from the left shelf that was closed to the cooking chamber in order to fit the rotisserie motor. I also had to grind down the bracket for the rotisserie with my dremel so the lid would close tightly.