ISO Scollops in cheese recipe

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
A family friend hosts the feast of the seven fishes Christmas eve. One person used to bring a scollops in thick cheese sauce. It was thick and multiple cheeses. He no longer attends and I cannot find a sililar recipe.

They were the small scallops, the sauce was really thick and it was baked in a creme brulee cup.

Ing ideas would be appreciated.

Tba.k you.

Bells

It kinda sounds like it might have been Coquilles St. Jacques. There are many variations of that recipe but they are usually served in individual portions. I have an authentic French recipe from a dear friend that made them at New Year's and I loved it so much that she left me the special dishes she used-they are shaped like a shell. I'll try to look up the recipe later but maybe you just should google it and see what you think is closest to the one you remember. She used Gruyère cheese but some people use Swiss cheese.

I was going to make them tonight in her memory but didn't. Ugh.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, sorry I can't help you with the scallops in multiple cheeses sauce, but I do like Bells' idea of Coquilles St. Jacques!

I've never made them, but would love to! They sound terrific!

Lee

Here's my version of Coquilles St. Jacques - it uses bay scallops (or sea scallops cut into quarters), & is both creamy & cheesy.

Breezy Coquilles St. Jacques

Ingredients:
1 pound bay scallops (thawed frozen work fine), rinsed
Approx. 1 cup dry vermouth (or dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Chablis)
Approx. 1 cup water
1 Bay Leaf
Approx. 1/2 cup half-and-half
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon flour
8 ounces sliced White Button Mushrooms
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 "clove" of shallot, peeled & minced
Approx. 1/2 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Approx. 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
Freshly ground white (or black) pepper to taste

Special Equipment:
Buttered baking dish, buttered individual gratin dishes, or large natural scallop shells brushed with melted butter. (I use the large natural scallop shells when serving this as an appetizer.)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet large enough to hold vegetables & saute mushrooms, bell pepper, shallot, & parsley until tender & softened, but not browned. Set aside.

Bring wine, water, & bay leaf to a boil & add scallops. (If necessary, add more wine & water in equal portions to cover scallops completely.) Lower heat & poach for 1-2 minutes ONLY, depending on size. Using a slotted spoon or spider, remove scallops to a bowl & set aside. Raise heat & reduce wine/water mixture until only approximately half a cup remains. Remove & discard bay leaf. Pour liquid into measuring cup & set aside.

Add half-and-half to wine/water mixture in measuring cup to make 1 cup of liquid. In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients, melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter & stir in tablespoon of flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for just a minute or two to remove raw taste from flour. Still stirring constantly, slowly pour in measuring-cup mixture & continue cooking until it starts to thicken. Gently add in vegetable mixture & scallops.

Pour into baking dish, individual gratin dishes, or scallop shells & top with shredded Gruyere cheese. Depending on what size baking dish(es) you're using, bake until heated through & cheese is melted & bubbly.

Serve with a nice mixed green salad & good crusty bread.