Cooking rice

NATO123

Banned
Cooking rice with curry variations!

Desired cups of rice(1 cup is enough for 2 servings)
Some water
Salt.
Method:
Rinse the rice well.
Then combine rice with water.
Every cup of rice need 1 1/2 cups water.
Then boil the rice.
Turn down the heat and place the lid an angle.
Then look for "craters"
Now put the lid on tight..Simmer the covered rice for another 15 minutes. Fluff it up with a fork and serve hot.

Different Variations!
For the dish you must suggest the curries.
Then I can give you the recipe.
If you like Gravy you can prepare fish or chicken curry,or vegetable curry.
A salad.
And tempered vegetables.
This is enough for a main dish.

Which type of curry you want to explained by me next?
You suggest.
Potato curry? Dhal? chicken or fish curry or a curry of any other vegetable.

Till you reply I like to explain how to make a potato
curry.
1lb potatos(500 gramms)
1 cup milk(dairy or coconut)
2 table spns mustard
1 tble spn Tumeric powder(optional)
2 table spns unroasted curry poder
1 onion
1 green pepper
to taste salt

Boil potatos and remove the skin.cut in to cubes.Dice onions and green pepper.
Add potato cubes, mustard, curry powder, turmeric salt and milk and bring to boil. Then add oil to a different pan at medium heat. Temper onions and green pepper for a minute. Add the contents of the first pot and bring to boil again.

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had forgot how much work it can be to make regular rice. We are spoiled by Uncle Ben's Minute Rice. All you do is bring a cup and 1/2 of water to boil, pour in your cup of rice stirring as you pour. Remove pan from heat and cover. Let sit 20 minutes and wala, it's ready.
I wonder what processing the Uncle Ben folks have to do to the rice to make it cook so easy?

Thanks Hema.
I would like to hear you describe chicken curry....or curry chicken (whichever is the right way to say it).

RNE228

I had forgot how much work it can be to make regular rice. We are spoiled by Uncle Ben's Minute Rice. All you do is bring a cup and 1/2 of water to boil, pour in your cup of rice stirring as you pour. Remove pan from heat and cover. Let sit 20 minutes and wala, it's ready.
I wonder what processing the Uncle Ben folks have to do to the rice to make it cook so easy?

Uncle Ben's basically processes and bleaches the rice till there is very little left but a little bulk; no substance. It's kind of like Wonder Bread. They use flour that is processed and bleached of pretty much any useful components. Then they add a little back in. They "enrich" it, mostly because they take practically everything out of it. Usually, heavily processed foods are not really the best in a diet.

While Uncle Ben's is great for a fast meal, a nice basmati brown rice, or wild rice, has more flavor, vitamins, fiber etc.

At least with a rice cooker, it is pretty easy to make regular rice. Dump a cup of rice in, two cups water, press the button, and you have rice in 20-30 minutes.

You can use it for other things too. I will ask my wife about the split pea and ham recipe. She uses the rice cooker, to make a nice, simple split pea soup.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for setting me straight on rice. :thumb:

NATO123

Banned
Sorry I couldn't mention you about the rice cooker.
as you are not familier with rice I thought in your countries you never use rice cookers.Ya I know it can use for various other factors.Therefore It can be useful to you also.
Here in Sri Lanka a rice cooker is a
must in a sri lankan kitchen.Any way friends If we cook in a rice cooker there is no any trouble to get you only have to do is to rinse the rice and put them in to the rice cooker and with enough water.
I appologise on regarding this matter.

NATO123

Banned

Thanks Hema.
I would like to hear you describe chicken curry....or curry chicken (whichever is the right way to say it).

Doc,I have posted the recipe for chicken curry specially because of your request.This is one of Sri Lankan method for cooking chicken curry.
You can have this with rice.

RNE228

Sorry I couldn't mention you about the rice cooker.
I appologise on regarding this matter.

No worries here. In our kitchen, we use the rice cooker frequently, but sometimes we also have reason to cook it on the stove top. And, if we are outdoors cooking, camping etc, we use stovetop.

No need to apologize:biggrin:

waybomb

We learned about rice cookers when we had a Chinese foreign exchange student with us a couple of years back. The cookers work perfectly.