Paula Deens Goulash: The Best EVER!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have not tried this yet but plan to. A friend passed this on to me with a four star recommendation. :thumb:

This really is the absolute BEST goulash I’ve ever had. It is really simple, and is even better reheated. My 4 year old actually ate it, and anyone who knows him knows that he is a SUPER picky eater.

Ingredients

2 lbs lean ground beef

2 medium yellow onions, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

3 cups water

2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce

2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes

2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (I didn’t use this)

3 bay leaves (I didn’t use this either)

3 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp Paula Deen’s House Seasoning (Again, didn’t use this in mine)

1 tbsp salt

2 cups elbow macaroni

*I added garlic powder, seasoning salt, and a little pepper to mine.

Get recipe for Paula’s House Seasoning HERE http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/house_seasoning/

In large pot, cook ground beef over medium heat until browned, spoon off any extra grease. Add onion and garlic, saute until transparent. Add 3 cups of water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, all seasonings, soy sauce, and bay leaves (if you choose to use them). Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add macaroni and allow to simmer an additional 20 minutes or until tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.

This stuff is GOOD!!!

http://asoutherngirl.com/paula-deens-goulash-the-best-ever/

Attachments

• PaulaDeensGoulash.jpg
    PaulaDeensGoulash.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 355

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Made our own version of this over the weekend. I dice up green peppers and top mine with grated cheese. Good filling meal for cold days.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Goulash was a staple at our house when we were all growing up, and that goulash looks a lot like my mother made it. When mother made goulash, Dad had breakfast for dinner because he wouldn't eat anything all mixed together...no casseroles, no one pot meals.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Look up there sherm ....it's there.

(I forgot it til you reminded me. Tks!!! ... but shhhhh don't tell no one LOL)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Other than the soy sauce, the recipe minus the things that the cook did NOT use, and with the additions at the bottom that the cook DID use, this is the most common way that American Chop Suey is made in my area.

Yep, it's good alright!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never had chop suey but the goulash does remind me of chili with elbow macaroni added.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Pretty close to what I do for Chili.

I don't use Macaroni at all.

Instead of diced Tomatoes, I use a can of whole peeled and squish them in my hands (I like things chunky)

I split me meat and use 1# lean ground Beef and 1# sweet Italian Sausage.

I add some (to taste) crushed red pepper.

MAYBE a little Chipotle (Not much, a little goes a long way)

I keep a can of tomato paste in reserve in case it does not get thick enough.

Sub Herbs du provence for Italian seasonings and maybe half a dozzen garlic cloves.

Well, maybe not that close. LOL Folks love the Chili.

Oh!!!! Peel a russet potato and put it in the stuff whole while cooking. You can discard it or eat it, your choice. It takes the tang off the tomato.

Ian M.

Goulash was and still is the most common food in college dorms. DW ate pots and pots of it when she was in law school and I keep some handy on a back burner for both of us now. Much milder than what we ate in school because Kieran can't take all the spiciness in the "real" stuff but nonetheless, it's good just about any way you make it. Thanks for the memories, Doc.