Best substitute for butter...flavor wise

YeOldeStonecat

Being off the charts regarding lactose intolerance wise....years ago, amongst other delish foods, I had to drop butter and go for a substitute. Settled on Olivio. But now 'n then, I just really miss the good butter taste.

Any peeps here been through a bunch of substitutes..and found one that tastes most like butter?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I use clarified butter for cooking. It's pure fat, and none of the milk solids that cause the lactose intolerance. I still use regular butter for spreading.

vyapti

I'm vegan, so I don't use any dairy. In my opinion, Earth Balance is far and away the best margarine option. It comes in tubs and in cubes and works well in baking or spread on toast.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm curious, what kind of plant is imitation butter squeezed from, vy? milk weed, or cow's clover, maybe? :wink:

vyapti

Earth Balance Ingredient List said:
Expeller pressed natural oil blend (soybean, palm fruit, canola, olive), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor (derived from corn, no msg, no alcohol, no gluten), soy protein, soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-diary, derived from sugar beets), and naturally extrated annato for color.
almost as healthy as the real thing =)

YeOldeStonecat

I'm vegan, so I don't use any dairy. In my opinion, Earth Balance is far and away the best margarine option. It comes in tubs and in cubes and works well in baking or spread on toast.

Thanks...I'll give it a try. Forgive my ignorant question....I Googled Earth Balance...and many results called it a "vegan margarine". What makes a "vegan" margarine? vs...err..."regular" margarine.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
To me there is no substitute for foods that nature produces for us to eat. Vegans, vegetarians etc all to a person don't look healthy to me at all. Animal protein and fats will never harm anyone if eaten in moderation as any other food. Foods produced by man in a laboratory will eventually jump up to bite us all in my opinion.

vyapti

vegan margarine doesn't have any animal derived products, such as animal fat or dairy solids. The company that makes Earth Balance, for instance, also makes Smart Balance, which isn't vegan because it contains fish oil. It probably comes up on Google as vegan margarine because it is constantly referenced in vegan blogs and other sources as vegan margarine. It is by far the most popular and best tasting, IMO.

YeOldeStonecat

Ahh OK.."animal fats". Thanks, that makes sense.

I've often read how unhealthy margarine is....probably false horror stories...such as "chemically speaking, it's closest relative is plastic"...stuff like that. The Olivio I've been using is supposed to be OK for you, being derived mostly from olive oil. I see the one you recommend is based on flax oil, which, from what I've read, is a healthy one.

1 and 1/2 tubs of Olivio left in the fridge, so in 2 or so week....on that food shopping run, I'll give the Earth Balance a shot if I find it, thanks.

If others have input...I'll certainly welcome those too.