Cauliflower Souffle

I am blessed with a husband who just doesn't like vegetables for the most part. Just prior to her passing away last year, my mother-in-law gave me some of her recipes for vegetable sides that she'd been using for a long time to sneak them past my husband and he apparently loved them. So I tried a few out on him and she was quite right - he now eats a variety of veggies he wouldn't touch before. Following are one or two of her recipes:

Cauliflower Souffle

1 cup chopped cauliflower
2 tbls. butter
3 tbls. flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. paprika
3 eggs, separated
1 tbls. pimento

Cook cauliflower for 10 minutes. Melt butter, blend in flour. Gradually add milk, salt and paprika. Cook and stir until thickened. Beat egg yolks until lemon-colored. Stir yolks into cooled white sauce. Add cauliflower and stir in stiffly beaten egg whites. Place in 2 quart buttered souff
le dish and bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with pimento and serve piping hot.

Broccoli Souffle

1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbls. butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 cup milk or light cream
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped, cooked broccoli
3 eggs, separated

Saute the onion and garlic in butter until onion is translucent. Add the flour, salt, pepper and basil. Slowly add the milk or cream, stirring until thickened. Place the cheese and broccoli in a large bowl and stir the sauce into them. Cool slightly. Beat the egg yolks and add to cooled broccoli mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the broccoli mixture. Place in greased 2 quart souffle dish. Bake about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
This is really delicious and veggie haters will think it's a real treat! :whistle:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
so we did the cauliflower version, looks like:
dsc_1406s.jpg

the blanched cauliflower - 2 cups, doubled the recipe
dsc_1390s.jpg

fired up the roux
dsc_1393s.jpg

whipped the eggs - I added the patted dry pimento to the sauce....
dsc_1394s.jpg

did not poof a whole lot - which is expectable given the load of cauliflower
dsc_1402s.jpg

I took this shot with a high speed camera - milliseconds later there was no evidence left.
dsc_1407s.jpg

veddy good stuff - altho we both agreed it needed a bit more savory - next version I'm thinking a very sharp cheddar as a light cheese note or perhaps fresh peel grated parm . . .

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This looks so good. I'm torn between trying this or a cream of cauliflower soup.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you bumped this up, Cooksie, since I didn't see Chowderman's photos before!

That souffle looks terrific!!

Lee

Cooksie, I'm so glad you brought this recipe back up again, as I hadn't seen the gorgeous photos either. Mine have never looked that good! But there's never any leftovers any time I've ever made either the cauliflower or the broccoli. Neither one puffs up much because the veggies are so dense but the taste isn't effected by that at all - and they really do taste so good. I've wondered if either recipe could be made using either summer squash or zucchini squash instead of cauliflower or broccoli or would that turn out too mushy? Perhaps a less dense veggie like that would puff up better?

Fallon

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've got to get to the store first, but I'll be trying it with cauliflower. Puffy or not, it just looks delicious to me :readytoeat:.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
ooohl, yum. thanks fer the posts~
essentially, acidicy keeps 'em bright/prevents dulling; alkalinity brings color changes. spent a segement of my 1st class cooking veggies w/ various compounds, from citrus to bakin' soda w/ this & that to see how they affected pigments & textures. we made cauliflower blue.

Last edited: