Bacon Bird!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You know, Sass, this sounds excellent to me!

I am planning to make America's Test Kitchen's (Cook's Country) roast turkey this year. Similar idea, but I wonder if the bacon would make it even better than ATK's salt pork method.

You soak cheesecloth in cold water. Prick the skin of the turkey all over with a fork. Lay strips of salt pork on the breasts and tops of the thighs. Cover the salt pork with the wet cheesecloth and cover the cheesecloth with foil.

Roast on the lowest level of the oven at 350 until the breast meat's temp is 140. Then remove the foil, the cheesecloth and the salt pork (I will save the salt pork for baked beans). Continue to roast the turkey until the breast meat is 165 and the thigh is 175.

This technique sounds interesting to me, and I have had a lot of success with ATK. On the other hand, the old "stuff it and stick in the oven and baste it" technique has never failed me.

I'll post a report and pictures when I do this on Thursday.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhhhhhhhh, Mama! I'm so sorry!

I had just been reading a thread by Sass before I answered yours.

I humbly beg your pardon!!!!

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Actually, at the Fabulous Food Show, Tyler Florence did a cornbread pudding stuffing, a sage butter rub and put bacon in layers over the entire bird. It looked fabulous. He made cranberries with grapes and orange zest and a roasted sweet potato and roasted banana casserole and a warm salad. It looked great! You might be able to find them if you do a search.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Holy cow a turkey wrapped in bacon! LOL heaven on the one hand and clogged arteries on the other! Decisions decisions...

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I will, Mama.

BTW, is it hard to separate the skin from the bird (so I can shove bacon under it)? I've seen that done but have never done it before.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Its not hard, you need to take it slow & easy.

I've put bacon over the bird before - this takes it to a whole new level.