so who is planning what this year?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We are planning on tomatoes (yellow and red cherries and brandywine), some peppers (not sure which ones yet), carrots, lettuce, scallions, chives, dill and basil. Might also try some sweet corn along the garage if we can move things around enough.
The rest of our front and back yard is all prairie garden, here are a couple of pics of the front garden:

Attachments

• 44.JPG
    44.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Landscape 296.jpg
    Landscape 296.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 499
  • Landscape 297.jpg
    Landscape 297.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 48.JPG
    48.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 247

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are they all perennials, Mav?

Just beautiful!

Lee

chowhound

I'm planning on taking my cue from you guys. I'm just hoping the critters don't eat everything. I tried to plant one a few years ago. Corn and beans, but I later found out I should have sprayed the vegetation to kill it before brush hogging it down and tilling it under. All the grass and weeds turned to seed and I couldn't keep up with weeding it. I probably went too big for my first attempt. I've got til the end of May to think about it and learn something.

homecook

Wow...I posted here and it disappeared!
I'm planning on 4 different kinds of tomatoes, green peppers, green onions, okra, green beans, peas, jalapenos, eggplant, zucchini, basil, parsley, dill, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. I'm probably forgetting something.
Maverick, your gardens are beautiful!!

Barb

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Dang MAV... why can't my yard look like that???? That is beautiful!

And what do you know... ask and ye shall receive... got us a gardening forum!!! Thank you!

smoke king

Banned
Over the years I've learned to choose my battles.

Tomatoes, Jalapenos, habaneros, bell peppers & cukes. As far as flowers, Geraniums out front, and wave petunias around the pool. All nice, low-maintenance stuff. And if the critters get to em', so be it. They gotta eat too.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that no matter how enthused I am in the spring, by August it becomes another chore, so I try to keep it simple!!

chowhound

Over the years I've learned to choose my battles.

Tomatoes, Jalapenos, habaneros, bell peppers & cukes. As far as flowers, Geraniums out front, and wave petunias around the pool. All nice, low-maintenance stuff. And if the critters get to em', so be it. They gotta eat too.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that no matter how enthused I am in the spring, by August it becomes another chore, so I try to keep it simple!!

Very good advice.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yea, we get pretty tired out my the end of the summer as well, LOL. And thanks for the compliments on the garden, took us more than a few years to get it that far, just a little bit farther and it will be done!
From then on out, it is just a matter of keeping it thinned out and pruned.

PanchoHambre

right now the only thing my garden seems to be producing is a bountiful crop of dog shit...it is a hearty perennial.

All the winter planted I did withered and died

My Mastiff did some winter pruning of the crepe myrtle I planted in the fall

This spring I am going to put in a wall of sunflowers along the side of my house this came great last year and brightened up the vacant lots next door... I am also going to cut away some of the concrete in the back so I can plant my quince tree and maybe a fig and some grape vines.

High Cheese

Saucier
Peas, beans, eggplant, hot/sweet peppers, tomatoes, lettuce...oooh, potatoes. For the potatoes I'm going to buy one of those bags with tri colored taters and grow those (red, yellow and purple). More herbs, maybe some melon.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I have a small area to grow things (live in the apartment at my mini storage facility in Lexington) but grow herbs year around in a garden window so that is always fresh. I gave up on tomatoes last year as we didn't get a single usable tomato from 3 plants, strange year. We did get some good habaneros, jalapeños, cayenne peppers, bell peppers, egg plant, and cucumbers.

As for flowering plants that is my wife's area and she gets what ever will look good to her.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
right now the only thing my garden seems to be producing is a bountiful crop of dog shit...it is a hearty perennial.

:yum:

I got garlic growing for the first time in my life, inspired by Beth Zaring. I planted it in November and it is going good.

I probably will have mint, jalapeno and cayenne peppers, basil, not sure what else yet. I have been doing maters the last couple of years, but I'm not having much luck with those.

High Cheese

Saucier
I'd like to hear about growing the herbs indoors Joe. If I could do that I would use fresh herbs more.

I have basil year round on the windowsil in my kitchen. It's right over the sink so to water it I just spray it with the nozzle. All you need is sunlight and a pot with dirt. Most supermarkets have basil plants with roots still attached, just plant one of those to start.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We put in a 4' x 4' x 18" garden window 3 years ago and grown our herbs year around in there. I simply put a small heater in it this time of year. The picture below is when I first put it in and we now have a 2 louvered bi fold doors to cover it at night. As you can also see we put in a garden area along that side of the house as well. This is a storage facility so I really have very little yard with about 10' square in the back behind the porch and this strip. The rest is grass and landscaped with plants.

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 448

High Cheese

Saucier
Hey Joe, what did that window cost and where did you get it? If you don't mind. I've been thinking about getting one or even making one.

chowhound

That's all it takes huh? I can do that.
I thought you needed one of those things.... I can't think of it now. Not hydroponics, but that other garden thing they adverti$e for indoor use. It's like 200 bucks.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ah yes the Aero Garden which I also have and love. We keep that in the office for decoration and of course grow herbs there too. It really makes our office smell great buy the way. I dry a lot of mine using a cheap dehydrator from Wal Mart and store them to give to my kids when they need stuff. I also dry the peppers then grind them in a Braun coffee grinder and bottle when I can't get fresh. I don't grow peppers in the house as my cats won't leave them alone and get sick on the leaves.

lilylove

Paul takes care of the veggie type stuff ... so I'm not sure what he'll do.

I need to do some research on DEER safe flowers. We want some color that won't be dinner for our four legged friends the day after we plant them.

Any ideas?

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Here was my "garden" from last year :tiphat:

Attachments

• PICT0320.jpg
    PICT0320.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 197
  • PICT0323.jpg
    PICT0323.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 197

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's the one. Thanks. That would have bugged me until I remembered.

I think you SHOULD get one of those Aerogardens, chow! You'd love it.

So would I. In fact, I think you should get me one, too. I'll send you my address.

TIA! :biggrin:

Lee