Peppermint takeover!!! HELP!!!

suziquzie

Is there an easy way to get it out and put SOME in a pot?
If a liitle of the root stays will I have this problem forever?

I thought when I put it in, "hey I have 5 acres now, I don't need to control it......"
:bonk: :oops:

DH suggested just replanting it somewhere by itself in front of the pine trees to use as part decoration, then he can just mow the extra if it gets outta hand...... that would be out in the ditch and not part of our actual yard.

PanchoHambre

Yes you can grow it in container... just thin it out occasionally or it will choke itself out

you will have to rip it all up or it will keep spreading

Mr. Green Jeans

Suzi, plant a large nursery (like a #5 aka 5 gallon) in your perennial bed and leave about 1" of the container stick out above the soil line. Fill with soil and plant your mint in the submerged pot. The barrier will prevent the rhizomes from running amuck. It wll eventually get pot bound and you'll need to divide but that will be several seasons from now.

High Cheese

Saucier
Suzi, plant a large nursery (like a #5 aka 5 gallon) in your perennial bed and leave about 1" of the container stick out above the soil line. Fill with soil and plant your mint in the submerged pot. The barrier will prevent the rhizomes from running amuck. It wll eventually get pot bound and you'll need to divide but that will be several seasons from now.

+1

A good way to keep bamboo under control too.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That crap has taken over one of our flower beds (my fault, I brought it home), and the only thing that seems to work is Roundup. You have to spray it right on the leaves for it to be effective, because it is a systemic killer which travels through the leaves and into the roots. Even with treatment, I have it popping up in different spots, so I carefully spray just the plant so I don't damage the surrounding foliage.

lilylove

We planted some as ground cover a few years back. It's covering a large spot now.

I can see where it would be a pain if you didn't want it to spread.

Great Idea MGJ. :) :) :) :)

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Dogs work pretty well at controlling mint - just teach them to pee in that place.

More seriously I go along with Mr Green Jeans.

Where it is, you dig it out and then pull out everything that pokes its head above the ground.

GotGarlic

Mint, like other plants, can grow new roots from the stems that touch the ground, so this method won't work for long. Suzi, you can get rid of it, but you have to really keep after it. Roundup will work, but it will also kill anything else it comes in contact with.

I planted my mint in a strawberry pot on our brick patio - that has kept it contained for several years.