Do you make cornbread?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You really do need to try it fried FM...you won't believe what you're missing!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
And remember, cornbread works good with gravy, beans, greens....etc! :smile:

South_dinner_1.jpg

homecook

I can understand people not liking cornbread, especially if you didn’t get your salt right. It’s not for everyone! That’s what makes the world go round!!

Believe it or not, I’m from the South and HATE creamed corn. It’s nasty! Looks like snot and tastes like corn that was eaten once! Can’t do it.

I’ll admit that if you use it in a savory dish like stew where it is allowed to dissolve and totally become something other than the snot it was, then it’s ok as a flavor additive.

For real corn, lets grill it in the husk!!!

I don’t like cauliflower either. Nasty, bland, pig brain looking stuff.

Haha!! I knew there was a reason I liked you. I despise creamed corn also. Always have and always will......I gag when I see it. I can't even stand the smell when you open the can. Who invented that stuff?? lol

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, Mama & Fisher's Mom THAT would be a trip to remember. I used to work for a chemical company that sold industrial water treatment chemicals. This meant a tour of a lot of refineries from Memphis to Houston. With that kind of geography I had a pretty varied range of good southern cooking. I had my first breakfast burrito in San Antonio. Was cky enough to meet and eat with a lot of families. Most folks were looking for air miles when they traveled. I used to fly cheap rent a car and drive between a couple cities. My favorite was from Baton Rouge to Houston. Just loved the Bayous.

leolady

Adillo!

Talk about serving a forum friend a soul food dinner....that's exactly what I did when Mixfinder came to visit my hometown last year on Juneteenth!

I took him to the Juneteenth celebration at the park, but although there were tons of great soul food there, I had already cooked a huge meal at the place I board my Ashen!

We had my drunken smoked ham, wild greens and ham hocks, potato salad, pinto beans, cornbread, 123 cake, and blueberry cobbler. I made enormous amounts of food!!!

It was Mixfinder's daughter's first experience with soul food, and about 20 or 25 of my barn owners' relatives were also there.

There was so much food left over, I took some back to a disabled friend of mine's family, and I took some to Juneteenth also! The head chairperson of the Juneteenth celebration liked my ham so much he has asked me to make it for this year's Juneteenth celebration! I feel honored!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
^leolady, We celebrate Juneteenth locally and it has been a time for folks to jump the broom! I love that you mention it right before Passover--another holiday that celebrates freedom from slavery.

May I ask you would you please post how you make your cornbread? I wonder if it is like what my Hungarian grandma made. My mom use to like to put creamed corn in hers.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
It is ok, leolady. My grandma use to make hers sometimes as muffins and sometimes in a cast iron corn mold and sometimes just in a big cast iron pan.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I think corn bread in CI works better as the heat is held evenly in the pan, including the sides. I use the corn meal that comes in the yellow sack with the Indian on the front and pretty much follow the recipe, with the exception that I use unsalted butter in lieu of shortening. Cook in an oiled #8 skillet until a toothpick comes clean. Never had a complaint.

Wart

Banned
I make my cornbread using a mix of Masa/Maseca and corn meal. It has a lighter corn flavor and is more cake and less crumbly.

leolady

I hate creamed corn cause mom served it at least twice a week cause dad loved it.

I like my okra best steamed til just tender with butter, salt & pepper. No slime, just good eating.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I will eat okra, too, leolady. It is suppose to be very healthy for you. I will have to try it steamed as you suggested.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You haven’t lived until you try Okra fried. What a treat.

Pig Ears, due to the high collagen content, are supposed to be “healthy” and good for your joints (cracklin’ knees) when cooked properly. Yeah. Call it healthy or joint beneficial, but that don’t make it Good Eats!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Did you know that okra is native to tropical areas of Africa, and that it also was being grown in Egypt in the 12th century. If I were to understand leolady correctly, that would make okra "soul food".

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Care for some cornbread? It's hot out of the oven....

P3140550-2.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Mama yer killing me bit by bit every time you post that pic!! My cornbread never turns out looking that good. I make it in my CI, and have tried many different recipes including ones that had creamed corn in them.
I am trying yours next!!

And we love fried okra!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Okra’s “roots” can be traced back to originating in the Ethiopian Highlands. The Trans-Atlantic slave trade which brought African slaves (primarily from the western coast while Ethiopia is on the eastern coast) to North America was in full swing during the 1700s.

The term “Soul Food” didn’t get popularized or invented until the 60s. That’s 1960’s, and it originated in the south were the African Slave population was heaviest.

Now, applying soul in a religious sense takes the term Soul Food, or spiritually nourishing, further back in time. But, the non-religious, regional cuisine known as Soul Food is Southern. If you wish to speak of Soul Food outside of the classical and historically documented Southern variation, then a study of the religious practice of the area from which the cuisine originates is in order.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
She's right in that all southern cooking is not "soul food" but all "soul food" is southern cooking. Southern cooking includes a wide variety of cuisines depending upon the region of the south.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Too bad Leolady is not here to speak on this but she assured me several times that soul food is not the same as southern cooking.

As I said, “Soul Food” in the US is derived from the 1960s movement by African Americans in the SOUTH. The US version of Soul Food is strictly Southern.

If you prefer a spiritual slant and wish to apply soul in religious terms, then you can pretty much apply soul to any spiritually nourishing cuisine you like. Every culture on the planet has spiritually special food, or soul food, and being Jewish, I’m sure you’re well familiar with the religious preparations of such dishes.

However, spiritually nourishing food based on religious customs is a far cry from the somewhat slang definition of a cuisine that was fostered and nurtured in the south by transplanted Africans bound to slavery during the early colonial period. They’re cooking later became prominent after the emancipation and popularized in the 60s once the stifling hand of segregation began to lift and cultural differences began to be embraced.

So “Soul Food” is a US southern custom.

But soul food, food for the soul, applies to every religious incarnation that exists, where food can take on every societal importance ranging from sexual prowess and fertility, to longevity and communion with the higher power.

But that is a far cry from Fried Chicken and Waffles.

Care for some Cornbread?

Step3-16.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
She's right in that all southern cooking is not "soul food" but all "soul food" is southern cooking. Southern cooking includes a wide variety of cuisines depending upon the region of the south.

Tha part is very much true Mama! Well said. :thumb: