Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dry skim milk
1-1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup canola oil

Combine all ingredients except oil in a large bowl. Mix until batter is smooth. Heat oil in a cast-iron or non-stick skillet on medium heat, then drop a large spoon full of batter. Let cook the about 30 seconds or until bottom is firm enough to slip spatula under and flip over.

Carefully turn the dough over and press down with the spatula to flatten the dough. When it gets light brown around the edges turn it over and cook till edges are browned. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven on an oven-safe, at a very low temperature. Add more oil to the pan if needed, and repeat with remaining batter.
Serve warm with honey or preserves.

Attachments

• 18019.jpg
    18019.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 147
  • picv7oGwt.jpg
    picv7oGwt.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 160

chowhound

Why is it called Ghost Bread?
It looks like Pita bread. I used to love that smothered with cream cheese along with a salad. I'll have to look for that dry skim milk today. I think I'd like to try this.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Cool! This reminds me of Johnny Cakes. I’ll have to try these!!

Ok, dumb question, but to be sure, the dry skim milk means powdered milk?

The first thing that popped into my head was “dry” wine when I read that. :lol:

chowhound

I just got back from wally world and they did not have dry skim milk. Now that I see the recipe link though, it looks like regular "wet" milk can be used or water. Cool. I was going to ask if regular dry milk could be used, I have that, but now I won't have to :smile:
Using water or milk sounds more Native American to me anyway. I don't even think early settlers were into dry skim milk....
:dizzy:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/cherlyn/onefeather/id5.html

NAVAJO FRY BREAD:
1 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 C powdered milk
1/4 t salt
warm water
Combine the ingredients and slowly add enough warm water
to form dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until it is smooth soft and not sticky. Cover and let rest one hour.
Shape into small balls and pat into flat circles about
1/4-1/2 inch thick. Set aside.
In skillet, heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil. Brown dough circles on each side and drain on paper towels.
Serve with chile beans and your favorite taco toppings for "Navajo Tacos."

^this one is without the oil.